HEROES 3x11 "The Eclipse, Part 2" Discuss and Grade

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Dec 1, 2008.

?

Grade the episode

1. Excellent

17.2%
  2. Above average

29.7%
  3. Average

28.1%
  4. Below average

14.1%
  5. Poor

10.9%
  1. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Average, for the part I saw. The discovery that an eclipse lasts long enough to code and be pronounced completely disarrays my image of the solar system. Or is it just that the doctor not a Claire fan either, and it was just wishful thinking?

After Nathan said Peter's decision always came from his heart, I distinctly heard him say "It's time you started making them with your head." I just hallucinated, "I respect that." Why ever would someone respect Peter Petrelli's decision making process? It's in the script?

Bennet slashing Sylar's throat was evil. Evil Bennet makes sense. Evil Bennet gives Claire something real to whine about. Evil Bennet who slaughters mutants like a Nazi killing Jews at Auschwitz but still dotes on his family is complex.

Nice to see Matt. She'd be lucky to get him but whatever does he see in her?

Does the Haitian finally get a name? If not, perhaps to celebrate Martin Luther King Day?

From here on, Sylar does eat the brains, because it's all for the kicks now.
    Evil equals crazy----equals stupid equals dull.

Seth Green announcing that any ordinary person could become a hero is most decidedly not what this series is about any more. But it's nice that they're making gestures.

2. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

that's good. I like Elle and Sylar. they're perfect. damaged goods, indeed.

3. Caligula

Caligula Vice Admiral Admiral

I haven't been keeping track of spoilers or anything so, within the context of what we've been given on-screen thus far, how do we know for certain that Sylar killed Elle? I know it LOOKED like he was doin' his thing, but it also LOOKED like Arthur Petrelli was gonna be taking Hiro's powers from him. Maybe Sylar chickened out at the last minute? Those in the know, feel free to present evidence to the contrary.

4. Meredith

Meredith Vice Admiral Admiral

HRG is so damned hard core and single minded in tracking down sylar if T:SCC gets another season he should so freeking play a terminator!

5. DontFeedPhil

DontFeedPhil Fleet Captain

I thought he was giving her an orgasm. Or himself.

Did anyone else notice when Nathan all of a sudden decided he was going to go back to Arthur he was almost laughing when he was saying his lines. Almost like he (the actor not the character) thought it was such a stupid plot twist he was just laughing at how dumb it was?

I am what I consider a loyal fan of most shows I watch. Almost to the point where I can overlook most anything in terms of stupid writing and plot twists but man. This show with its characters flip flopping back and forth. First they are bad then they are good...Then they are pretending to be bad but really good...Then they do the stupidest things and think they are a good idea and forget that another character tried to kill them just 2-3 episodes ago and now they are buddies...
    Enough!!!
    This show could be sooo much better if the writers knew what they were doing from one episode to the next. Its almost like they have a different team of writers writing each episode and they forget to read the previous episode and go...Aww man. I need Character X to be good for my episode...Ok Ill just write a line or 2 and now they are good. Great now My episode works. Then the next episode comes along and the writers say...Man now I gotta change Character X back...
    That really is how they must write this Shit...

6. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, that had a serious Terminator vibe to it.

7. Caligula

Caligula Vice Admiral Admiral

He can't be bargained with. He can't be reasoned with. He doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And he absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead.

....Yep, that's HRG in a nutshell. :lol:

8. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes, Zachary Quinto was giving us Orgasmic Sylar.

As far as the radical personality shifts and bizarro decisions---people, that's character driven drama. Everybody knows shows with coherent stories are esthetically inferior. Heroes outgrew that stuff after first season.

9. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

Somebody on Television Without Pity brought up a great point...how does Sylar go from sacrificing himself for Elle thirty minutes earlier to killing her?

10. Meredith

Meredith Vice Admiral Admiral

Best. Day. Ever.

Save the bike Messenger's sketchpad, save the world!

11. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh, please get done with the Villains story arc. This is so lame. I'm this close to giving up on the show. I've been very patient with the series, but the writers had better start using their brains or I am done.

And how can they even give the suggestion that they killed Kristen Bell?!? Damn them... ;)

12. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Ellie is dead I think because the contract is up for Kirsten and her story has nowhere to go anyway. A pity Sylar is gone back to evil but at least we will get that Peter/Sylar showdown eventually.

13. startrekwatcher

startrekwatcher Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Average with one or two above average moments.

Like I said last week, Heroes is trying to throw too many potentially interesting ideas/threads into the mix without enough real time to develop them. Basically they jump right into one situation or throw one element at us like the idea of Peter coping with Sylar's ability then all of a sudden a new development pushes it aside and sets the story/character down a new trajectory. The show might be better served by toning it down and adopting a more traditional serialized format where you have only a few plot arcs that you expand over several episodes instead of throwing the characters from one interesting yet never fully realized situation into another half-developed new one.

The hooks are good but they don't do anything interesting with them. For instance, the writers could have had the story with the Haitian be a perfect opportunity to explore the character and his background. Instead it was a tired warlord shoot-out. And I'm not sure Nathan's thinking makes sense when it comes to giving everyone abilities. Because it is just as likely that someone evil acquires them or someone is corrupted by them as someone getting them who would do good with their newfound powers. Just look at poor Peter who almost destroyed NY.

I also thought with these last 2 episodes being singled out as a two-parter within a series that is already multi-parted that it meant they were going to be a little bit bigger and more along the lines of some major event episode with some interesting revelations. That really didn't happen. We didn't even learn how the eclipse plays into the abilities, if at all, beyond a few theories. Maybe this will be expanded upon.

14. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, I liked it, but the more I wonder, the more I think these two weren't necessary. It felt like the only reason they were there was to kind of reset the series' direction. Noah is finally a key player again, Claire is still annoying (No longer my favorite character if anyone could have guessed), Daphne gets redeemed, and not one move forward towards this plot of formula and Arther.

However, I did like it because I appreciated that Heroes was trying to salvage this season with this episode, definitely not the last one. I'm glad Sylar is back to being Sylar again, and surprisingly, Hiro was my favorite part of the show. In fact, this is the first time all series that I've liked Hiro. They actually made the 10 year old plot come to a very satisfying conclusion and I'm intregued with the comic book plot. However, with two episodes left, there is so much to cover that I think the damage is already done.

As for Nathen, Peter and the Haitian, well, who cares because I sure didn't.

Average (Could have been above average, but this is a series suffering to find itself I think and this episode, while a step in the right direction, doesn't fix the problem).

15. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Pretty good episode this week. I hope Volume 3 finishes well.

Noah kicked ass. Sylar is back to being a killer, took him long enough. Hiro finally seems to be doing stuff again. Peter looked cool with the rifle but I still laughed when he ran out of bullets. That had to be the longest eclipse ever. :wtf:

Elle is dead. Long live Elle.

16. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

At least they finally answered the 9th Wonders question. They were all drawn by Isaac, but published posthumously.

17. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

So will the bicycle messenger be another name guest star? Maybe Hiro can call him Lance Armstrong Isaac.

Was machine gun Peter an audition for Milo to play Rambo Jr. next?

18. Mallet

Mallet Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, they retconed that. In the episode where Issac gives the bike courier the sketchbook he also gives him the issue where Hiro & Ando go to the future and the final battle of season one. He tells the bike courier that that is the last issue of the series right then and there. So the fact that there are more issues after that is just another copout/retcon from the writers.

19. the Dagman

the Dagman Commodore Commodore

^^The bicycle messenger and his getting Isaac's sketchbook was actually shown in season 1. Just some no name dude. And Milo has already played Stallone's son in the last Rocky movie.

You know, I thought for sure that when the eclipse ended it would reset everyone's powers and all of Peter's powers would come roaring back during the gunfight.

20. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I thought the same thing...

I'll be shocked if the writers keep Peter powerless for the rest of the series. This would certainly take care of the complants from fans about Peter being overpowered.