The OFFICIAL STNG-R general discussion thread!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by jefferiestubes8, May 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

special features wishlist for TNG-R Blu-ray

Okay we've heard about the rumors recently that TNG is getting a remastered effort by CBS for HD.
    Now I started a thread a couple years ago about ENT getting a Blu-ray release and a wishlist for special features I'd like to see for that.

In the same vein of the idea. If TNG-Remastered happens what special features would you like to see for complete seasons sets?

Surely we can have 1 if not 2 audio commentaries for every episode. Yes TNG is that popular that they can have a director/crew commentary, and a cast commentary, some Patrick Stewart & Jonathan Frakes commentaries, some Rick Berman commentaries, director commentaries especially when actors directed episodes such as "In Theory" directed by Patrick Stewart.
    How about a Gene Roddenberry commentary pieces together from various interviews for an episode? Disney has done this with Walt Disney interviews for a number of films such as Fantasia: 60th Anniversary Edition.

more of those Okuda text trivia commentaries.

deleted scenes such as:
    Encounter At Farpoint
    also from memory alpha.
    I'd just like to see the deleted scene as-was-produced in standard definition.
    I'd like them to show some behind-the-scenes on-set footage from Paramount's sister show Entertainment Tonight maybe from a promo piece before the start of each new season that was not used for the DVD season sets.

Best of Both Worlds with an optional isolated music-only score audio option.

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Re: special features wishlist for TNG-R Blu-ray

The "Next time on..." trailers.

3. GNDN

GNDN Commodore Commodore

This!

And deleted scenes would be great, especially since they'll have to be going back to the original footage.

Commentaries could also be fun. Don't know how much new we'd learn, unless they get Wil Wheaton to recite his blogs over the eps :rommie:

4. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

Gag reels!

5. Botany Bay

Botany Bay Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Trailers, promo materials, commentaries, Okuda text commentaries for every episode and a generous helping of deleted scenes are the absolute *minimum* I would expect before even *thinking* about getting my wallet out for a double dip of TNG.

A no holds barred series of interviews with writers/producers discussing just what the hell was going on behind the scenes of this show in the early years would be nice - it's certainly long overdue, and I bet there is tons of stuff the public doesn't know about yet.

6. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

As it's for DVD's how about restorting some deleted scenes to the episodes, if the film still exists.

7. GNDN

GNDN Commodore Commodore

Most deleted scenes are cut for a reason, don't know that I'd want them re-edited just because. I think a selection of deleted scenes would be fine for the most part, but interesting to know of scenes only cut for time.

How about a PLAY ALL BUTTON?!?! especially for 2-parters? And a chapter stop between the "previously on" re-cap and the rest of the teaser?

8. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

A-fucking-men. How hard can it be to implement this?

9. Distorted Humor

Distorted Humor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I would really like a commentary of some sort on each episode, and on the better episodes have more then one. Best of Both Worlds with an optional isolated music-only score audio option I like a lot too. Next on, play all, and so on would be excellent as well. I don't mind if they really don't redo the special effects as long as they upgrade most of it to look decent on a big screen.

10. Mr Silver

Mr Silver Commodore Newbie

A Documentary about the development of the show, featuring interviews with the likes of Gene Roddenberry, Rick Berman and the Main Cast. It would be cool to hear about the early days and what they were trying to accomplish with TNG. Its long overdue in my opinion

11. Lateralus

Lateralus Commander Red Shirt

If TNG gets a Blu release, I'm pretty sure we'll all get plenty of supplements, especially on the interviews/behind-the-scenes front.

12. ScottDS

ScottDS Captain Captain

I'd love to see the "Next on..." trailers, galleries of artwork and storyboards, and any and all deleted scenes. Some thoughts below...

-Text commentaries (I think the Okudas have done some for the various compilations)... I see us getting anywhere between three and six per season, though every episode would be nice (the Seinfeld DVDs have them on every episode)

-Audio commentaries (again, I think a few were recorded for the compilations)... I doubt anyone from the cast will sit in for one, other than maybe Frakes, Sirtis, and Wheaton... but I can see the Okudas, Dan Curry, Ron Moore, Brannon Braga, and the other writers doing a few, along with some of the regular directors and maybe Trek experts like Jeff Bond and Larry Nemecek... as for recording them for every episode... not a chance!

-They'll probably include the Best Buy-exclusive featurettes along with the three new featurettes that were produced for the TNG Complete Series set

-I'd love to see new interviews with the "TNG stock company" (regular guest stars)

-Tributes to Michael Piller and Majel Barrett would be much appreciated!

-I doubt we'll ever get gag reels (why start now?) or isolated scores (Film Score Monthly's Ron Jones boxset is awesome!)

13. Biffette

Biffette Captain Captain

I would double-dip for the trailers. And deleted footage, if there was enough of it. But I would triple-dip for the trailers.

14. Reeborg

Reeborg Commander Red Shirt

I would wish for the (EU-)Blu-Ray edition to be an extended "language version" with more dubbings additional to existing Eng/Fr/Sp/Ger/Ita (even if it was a voice over as the Russians do, or "outer European" languages like Japanese etc.). This would be for me an important buy criteria since I already possess all Star Trek seasons on DVD.

15. jefferiestubes8

Captain M, do you mean something different than the number of shorter documentaries featuring these kinds of interviews done in 2002 for the TNG season sets?

all standard definition (4:3 video)
    descriptions from various DVD reviews on the Internet
    season 1:
    season 2:
    season 3:
    season 4:
    season 5:
    season 6:
    season 7:
    I'd like some more special features for the Blu-rays but to also include all the above from 2002 DVDs.

16. Guartho

Guartho Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Starrrrrrrr Trek thenextgeneration.

17. Bonzo the Fifth

Bonzo the Fifth Commander Red Shirt

Well, given that the episodes are going to have to be re-cut from stock, anyway, I imagine we're going to get some of that, regardless, seeing as they're essentially going to be re-edited from scratch, the good part being that they don't have to worry about cutting for time, just pacing and appropriateness, so some eps might get tightened up a little and others may get a bit of breathing room.

One question I had about that, does this mean they'll have to re-do all the music, too, since they don't have the timing cues or anything to work with? Not that this would be a terrible thing if it came to pass, assuming they could get Ron Jones to step away from Family Guy long enough to come score it.

18. jefferiestubes8

editing & music

Bonzo the Fifth a remastering is recreating what was already there but to the highest quality, not a reimagining. CBS will be doing this as cheaply as possible as the recreated CGI visual effects will cost a lot. All of the live-action shots will be cut the same as they were for the original master by using EDLs or eye matching. See my post on this here from the Rumor: TNG-HD thread.
    No. CBS will use the stems that were prepared for the 2002 DVD release when they remixed to 5.1 surround sound.
    I'm guessing a few more sound effects will be added if the visual effects space shots require them.

19. Bonzo the Fifth

Bonzo the Fifth Commander Red Shirt

Re: editing & music

Well, wouldn't the cheapest way to do that, then, be to just simply hire an editor to re-go through the footage. Without the cues to work with, just 'eyeballing' to get the closest possible match to the original episodes might actually be the MORE expensive option, as opposed to just making a quick judgement call based on available footage...

Just another thing that, while it would be nice to get as close as possible, just won't be economical in the long run.

At least that's my understanding, which assumes that nothing other than just the finished video footage exists... If the documentation and cues are still recorded somewhere, then, great, re-duplicating the episodes should be trivial, but if the archival is really as bad and non-future proofed as some posters here seem to be assume, this may get very complicated, very quickly, in which case, it would just be more expedient to say to hell with the original layout and just do a 'best guess' of the product, to prevent cost overruns.

In the end, though, I don't work in TV production, and neither, I suspect, do most of us... Whatever the result, I'm sure it'll be the most that can be done on a limited production budget and schedule. Whatever we want or however we think it 'should' be done is irrelevant, as I'm sure economics will determine all decisions related to this process...

20. Kadratis

Kadratis Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.