Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Trekker4747, Sep 25, 2013.

1. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Other nearby landmarks include Porphyry Lake, and Little Porphyry Lake. There's some back roads in the area, but not much settlement by anyone if Google Earth and the Atlas of Canada web resources are anything to go by.

2. Star Wolf

Star Wolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I agree all though telling the SHIELD/Hydra mook to knock off the Nazi salute stuff was a cute way to deal with the issue.

It is the Buffy spin-off Angel. Perhaps the post was to the wrong open window.

3. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

SHIELD has been done both ways in the past. Given that NATO doesn't need periods and putting the periods in SHIELD would double the time it takes to write their name, I don't bother with that. But HYDRA doesn't take much more effort to capitalize. Spider-Man I'm getting better at. I'm used to Superman, which is why I never hyphenated it, but I realized I'm wrong and I'm trying to do it correctly.

4. LaxScrutiny

LaxScrutiny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I ONLY TAKE THINGS SERIOUSLY WHEN THEY ARE IN CAPS, BOLDED, ITALICIZED, AND UNDERLINED.

E.T.A.: E.V.E.R.Y.T.H.I.N.G. S.H.O.U.L.D. A.L.S.O. B.E. P.E.R.I.O.D.I.Z.E.D.

5. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

I never bother with periods in acronyms, only because I hate the way it looks.

Well, it was nice to see that Coulson has retained his idealism, if not necessarily his optimism. That may be the saving grace here. I just wish they would drop this forced conflict with May. If Coulson has been an agent since he was a teenager, he would understand what May was doing for him. It's out of character for him to be this childish and out of character for May not to call him on it.

I'm glad to see that Raina seems to be becoming a regular. She was always fascinating (maybe her gift is working on me). I loved her reaction to Garrett playing her; and I wonder what the question she wanted to ask is. Also, I'm glad to see Triplett on the bus. He'll make a good replacement for Ward, now that they've turned Ward into Garrett's boring puppy dog.

Hopefully this will turn into something more interesting than post-Apocalyptic frowning. I keep reminding myself of Babylon 5 to stay optimistic.

6. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

I'm enjoying the tension between Coulson and May.

And it confuses me when people underline things, because I try to click on them....

7. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

Angel had a musical episode?

8. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

It confused me too. I guess LaxScrutiny's right.

9. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Damn, always getting those two mixed up. Although a musical number might have been interesting...

10. dansigal

dansigal Captain Captain

As far as this goes, I'm surprised no one's mentioned the conversation that Garrett and Ward had early on in the episode when Ward was not happy about the order to shoot Skye. At some point Garrett said something along the lines of "hey, don't forget who this all is for, who is giving the orders here" I got the impression Garrett wasn't referencing himself, that there was a bigger picture here as far as what Garrett and Ward were working towards and who they were working for.

11. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

It would cool, and historically appropriate, if Garrett broke Centipede away from HYDRA the way the Red Skull broke HYDRA away from the Nazis. "Turn, Turn, Turn".

12. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Except that Centipede isn't an organization, it's just the code name for a specific project to create supersoldiers -- analogously to how the SSR conducted Project Rebirth to create supersoldiers using Dr. Erskine's formula. We heard Garrett say to Raina "I'm putting you in charge of Project Centipede." It's evidently just of the irons Garrett has in the fire, along with the gravitonium project, the acquisition of powerful artifacts, etc.

I think if you're going to do a show called Agents of SHIELD, it makes sense to keep HYDRA around as the main recurring enemy. Different villains may have their own agendas, but the organization as a whole should remain relevant to the series. The only reason not to do that would be if the movies have dibs on HYDRA and the show therefore has to keep a distance from it -- but the midcredits scene of TWS implied that HYDRA may be considered old news as far as the future of the cinematic universe is concerned, which, if so, would make it fair game for the series.

13. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

HierarchY for Domination, Repression & Authority

or

Hey You Dumbass, Run Away!

14. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

15. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

While true, that line could also easily be read to say "don't forget you're doing this for me." In other words, the "who" could be Garrett. It would not be an odd use of English whether or not it's the correct interpretation (and I certainly doubt Garrett is in charge of HYDRA).

16. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

Hacking Yields Duplicating Remains, Always.

(This covers heads and limbs.)

17. Yminale

Yminale Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

According to Wikipedia, HYDRA is not an acronym but a reference to the monster of greek mythology.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HYDRA
    The entry doesn't explain why HYDRA is all caps but it's probably due to 2 reasons.
    1. There are real hydra's in the Marvel Universe
    2. Certain character are called Hydra (ex. Madame Hydra).
    Hence it's in all caps to show that we are talking about the organization.

18. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

Maybe when you speak it, you're supposed to yell it.

Hail HYDRA!

19. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Interesting...I'll have to look for that as I catch up in my rewatching.

I'm under the impression that may be what the guy in the mid-credits scene of TWS is doing, though it's hard to tell.

20. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I'm not seeing this at all. I think it is another case of good acting overcoming a pretty one dimensional (so far) character.

Paxton has been hitting it out of the park since he showed up and that was when we thought he was good. He is even better now that he's bad. He is striking just the right tone as a guy who can persuade his men to change life long allegiances using charm and charisma. And because Paxton is so good, everyone he has scenes with tend to play off his character really well. Brett Dalton is thriving in his scenes with Paxton. I would have loved to have seen Garrett and Hand trying to work together.

I wonder how long Ward lasts (in the show). He has to die. The only question would seem to be when, how, and will he get a redemptive moment -- like maybe giving his life to save the team or one of the team. On the other hand, I suppose could be like Boomer on nuBSG, tormenting the team periodically and always getting away until the show's final season.