Braga: "Archer was supposed to be Future Guy"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by Michael, Nov 27, 2012.

1. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Like in Year of Hell, he would probably be infinitely trapped in trying to correct his own mistakes.

2. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't like the idea. I think it kind of undermine's Archer future role in the Federation that he is manipulating events that eventually lead to him playing a key role in in the Federation. That sounds like a conflict of interest to me.

It also sounds like a TaTV kind of scenario where future Archer, instead of focusing completely on important matters concerning the future Fed, is screwing around with past events sort of like Tweedle Dum and Tweedle Dee (Riker and Troi) in TaTV.

Typical high concept crap that Brannon so loves.

3. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

No no I think he becomes Future Guy at some point and the Archer we see has no idea it's himself.

At least, in the Braga fantasy.

4. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The only way it could work to my mind, is Mirror Universe Archer. He was fixated with Prime Archer for his endless list of achievements. Having somehow survived being poisoned, and in trying to investigate the interphase space looking for more future tech like the Defiant... he winds up on the other side, trapped even further ahead in the 28th Century. Using covert time travel, he seeks to undermine any events that lead to Federation and eventually one day be able to do more than influence their past through communication. Go there when it's destabilised enough and set up his own Terran Empire.

Or something... :lol:

I personally can't believe it of the series' lead and heroic character (even if he has flaws to overcome like bigotry toward Vulcans, and occasional bouts of 'ends justifies the means', if the stakes are high enough). What would be his motive for inflicting the Cabal on the Suliban and Tandaran societies? Because we know Future Guy was responsible for handing out advanced tech and genetic alterations, supposedly far ahead of 22nd Century capabilities. Just doesn't sound like the kind of thing Jonathan Archer would do. Especially if he's much older and wiser after helping to form the Federation. Then there'd be countless missions that influenced the creation of a non interference policy while exploring etc.

Last edited: May 22, 2014
  5. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Plus, Future Guy is a dick in the way he talks to people. He acts like Oz behind the curtain "SILENCE! THE GREAT AND POWERFUL FUTURE GUY.."

I think your MU Archer idea is a good one ChristopherPike. That guy was driven by ego and inadequacy, perfect personality profile for meddling with the timeline.

6. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

It sounds crazy enough that I might have been able to roll with it.

7. Destructor

Destructor Commodore Commodore

Sounds rad, should definitely have been the answer.

8. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Actually?

Where was the Mirror Universes Future Guy?

MU Future Guys absence could be explained by Hoshi murdering young mirror Archer if only Archer was ever going to be any Future Guy in any Universe, and he wasn't alive any more in the present, then it's unlikely that he was alive in the future as well.

Of course, the Empire destroying Romulus could equally explain away the lack of time meddling.

The point being is that future guy had no past in the Mirror Universe, whoever the hell he may or may not have been.