MAN OF STEEL - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Agent Richard07, Jun 11, 2013.

?

Grade the movie...

1. A+

10.9%
  2. A

20.8%
  3. A-

18.1%
  4. B+

9.8%
  5. B

11.3%
  6. B-

4.2%
  7. C+

4.9%
  8. C

4.9%
  9. C-

3.8%
  10. D+

3.4%
  11. D

3.8%
  12. D-

2.6%
  13. F

1.5%
  1. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

2. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Heh. That's pretty good, leave to HISHE to see the obvious plot hole in the movie. :lol: Well done, and I always love the "Super Cafe" segments.

3. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

^Is it a plot hole? AI Jor-El was only able to give Lois Lane and by extension Superman the solution with the phantom drives AFTER he uploaded into Zod's Kryptonian ship. Supes probably knew some shit was gonna go down on the ship so he was smart enough to bring the micro crystal that contained his dad's conscience. He came prepared!

Why Lois was asked to be on the ship is never explained or made sense to me but I let it slide.

4. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

It IS. Because as the HISHE short shows after Zod's message Superman should have gone to the ship/"Fortress of Solitude" asked his dad about Zod and sought advice. (At the very least he would have been told to not trust Zod.) Instead we see Superman run to talk to some priest before turning himself in to the military/Zod.

5. M.A.C.O.

Still the phantom drive solution might not have been discovered because AI Jor-El on the artic ship wouldn't have known what kind of ship Zod was using. Jump to the wrong conclusions kind of thing.

I agree asking Jor-El would've been the smarter thing to do. However we can say it helped move the plot forward the way it happened in the film, but also Supes was curious about his people and probably didn't instantly think to treat them as suspicious threats.

A lot of things in the film are done for the sake of plot however I agree.

6. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Zod didn't know where Kal-El's ship was and Lois did. It was loudly proclaimed on television that Lois knew Kal-El's identity. Zod rightly reasoned he could find out where the ship was, and the codex, by entering Lois's mind and extracting it by force.

7. M.A.C.O.

^ You know you are right. I remember that being said but I didn't connect the dots in my two viewings of the movie. Thank you

8. Savage Dragon

No problem. I had seen the question earlier in the thread so when I went to go see it with my wife again I paid attention to that aspect of the film because for the life of me I couldn't figure out what she was doing there either.

9. GalaxyX

GalaxyX Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think Christopher Reeve nailed Superman with perfection! Not a huge fan of his Clark Kent, but for the movie it worked to make us believe he could have been 2 different people.

Dean Cain on the other hand, is probably the best Clark Kent on screen. I think he nails the Clark role almost to perfection. His Superman on the other hand is always looking like he's really uncomfortable in the role. Maybe they wanted to play it that way? But it took extra effort to see him in the costume.

Every other incarnation post Christopher Reeve (other than Dean Cain's take) has been trying to emulate Chris Reeves in looks. The guy from Superboy (Gerard something, his full name escapes me) was a lookalike. Brandon Routh was a lookalike. Tom Welling was a lookalike. Henry Cavil deviates a bit, but not by far.

Maybe it's just because Christopher Reeve is so engrained in the Superman look to us that Hollywood doesn't want to deviate too much from that facial style.

I'm not a huge comic book fan, but it seems the comics sometimes go along with this, and sometimes they don't and draw a completely different facial structure for him.

10. Dorian Thompson

Christopher Reeve's face was the spitting image of the cartoon version--even the bone structure of his nose, jaw and chin. The first time the character rescued Lois from the stricken helicopter and he's about to fly off and she asks him, "Who are you?" there's a single shot of Supes when he replies, "a friend" that is the spitting image vision of the character in every comic I ever read growing up. He might have been presented differently in other versions but in the ones I read, that was the face I remembered. Reeve was a human incarnation of the comic vision of the character's physical looks. It's not surprising directors tried to emulate it with new actors.

11. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^I think that's more a case of artists drawing Superman to resemble Reeve after the movie came out. Before the film was released, he tended to be drawn with squarer features, a bit like George Reeves.

12. Savage Dragon

Gary Frank drew Superman to look exactly like Christopher Reeve in Secret Origin.

13. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Reeve actually looked more like Superman than the Superman of the comics did, if you ask me.

He also looked a lot younger. The Curt Swan Superman of the time almost looked more like he was in his early 40s.

14. TemporalFlux

TemporalFlux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah; I've always thought that came from the difference in character stories. In the Reeve movies, Superman was Kal-el playing Clark Kent as a disguise. With Dean Cain, he was Clark Kent wearing Superman as a disguise.

It did seem to me that Cain always felt uncomfortable in the costume; but maybe it's because he always had his arms folded (which he may have been directed to do).

15. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

That was a lovely point about the show. The suit IS silly and uncomfortable. I think in the pilot his mother says something along the lines of "Well at least nobody will look at your face".

Dean Cain's Clark/Superman was great. He might be the reason why I got into Superman to begin with, but I'm not sure.

16. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I wasn't crazy about Cain's costume, but it did look like his mom made it. To me, Cain always looked more like Captain Marvel than Superman. But in that show, the focus was as the title said: Lois & Clark. His Clark Kent was good. Confident, capable. Like George Reeves, but younger and more fit.

Christopher Reeve's look embodied the vision of Superman I always had in my head. His Clark seemed a little too bumbling to me, but in those scenes where he took off the glasses and changed his posture from Clark to Superman it was impressive.

Brandon Routh's Clark was an almost perfect duplication of Reeve's Clark. I think he looked a little too young to be the same person, but you have to use your imagination. The suit bothers me a lot. I think in trying to update it they went too far.

So I fixed it.

[​IMG]

I brightened the colors, loosened the neckline, and changed the "S" to what we were used to seeing. Oh, and I moved the part in his hair to his left side, to be more like Reeve's Superman. :cool:

17. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

18. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Dean Cain always looked like John Byrne's Superman to me.

19. Dorian Thompson

I like that shot of Brandon Routh in the brightened suit, Carcazoid.

20. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

That was better than the actual movie.