Marvel All New, All Different - Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, May 30, 2010.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: Marvel Now/ReEvolution Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

Uncanny is fluff. Whoever decided it was the flagship, made that decision before they read the first script for the first issue.

2. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh, no, nothing like that. I have a good relationship with Marvel.

It's not exactly a secret who I work for and what I do. For these purposes, though, while I prefer to call myself a "comics journalist," I'm a marketing hack (meant that in a good way) and I write sales copy.

3. Guy Gardener

OH! You're part of the problem.

:)

I'm not sure I like the twist at the end of the new Age of Ultron.

The twist is either misleading, or the title of this event is wrong.

In the I Dream of Jeanie movie, Jeanie is talking about when her evil twin sister Jeanie was trying to decide about which half of her bikini she would wear on that particular day... But that she had finally decided to wear the left half.

(Above is code.)

4. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I'll also add praise for GotG #1, after all the praise you guys gave for the .1 issue I was convinced to get it. I blame you all for this!! :lol:

I've also found the conclusion of Sif's first solo arc headlining Journey into Mystery with #650 to be good. I did feel it started a bit slow but the last few issues ended strong.

Next week for me its:
    Indestructible Hulk #6
    Red She-Hulk #64

5. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

6. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

In the wake of Age of Ultron... yet another Avengers book!:lol:

'Avengers A.I." will focus on Hank Pym, Vision, Victor Mancha from "Runaways" and others, including the first appearance of the 616's Monica Chang.

It alludes to a larger presense of A. I. on Earth post-AoU, perhaps hinting at that story's "unguessable ending"?

In other news, Daniel Way steps down from "Thunderbolts".

7. Admiral_Young

I might check that out...and interesting that we are getting a 616 version of Monica Chang, she's one of my favourite Ultimate Universe characters. That doesn't surprise me about Daniel Way, I've been seriously debating about dropping Thunderbolts after defending the first issue or two earlier in the thread.

8. Guy Gardener

So, how many hours ago was it in Marvel time was it that all the rogue AI on 616 got together in the last volume of Secret Avengers and spent a year our time trying to stamp out humanity.

How can they have this book being put together in the periphery while simultaneously allowing the Human Torch to be murdered so that he can't make the new line up?

9. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Written by Sam Humphries. Eugh.

So much for the stability of Marvel NOW. Alonso is eating his own words.

10. Admiral_Young

11. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Looks like the Honeymoon is over in the House of Ideas.

12. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

With Noto now on the art, Dillion stepped down at #6, with issue #7 that alone caused me to do a double take on the stand this week. With Way's erratic pacing now gone I may have to reconsider this book a few issues from now.

13. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

In Way's own words...

As for Nova, in Alex Alonso's words...
    Sounds like business as usual to me. People leave writing assignments all of the time without it being anything like the editorial interference clusterfuck currently going on over at DC. To compare it as such seems a little facetious to me.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2013
  14. Admiral_Young

Yeah it doesn't sound like the same thing going on over at DC right now...but it is interesting to keep note of. I am a little surprised that the "Nova" team is changing hands, since I don't think it was intended to be a rotating creative team at first.

15. Nick Ryder

Nick Ryder Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well I suppose I'd rather see them know when it step away if they can't do it than do it and it be shite.

It doesn't bother me to see creative teams change - even so soon. It's always rare when the same team sticks around for a while anyway.

16. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This.

Plus there are SO many factors out there that contribute to people leaving, it's a little unfair to put the blame on the company.

"What? Writer A left the book because his wife died and he needs to be away for a little while? Marvel promised no changes!!"

Now obviously this didn't happen, but come on, this is life.

Loeb and Way leaving is WAY different than what's going on over at DC. Especially for Loeb, who's not exactly going far from Marvel.

17. Guy Gardener

A regular human being = 6 months is a long time and an extreme commitment to job that really doesn't pay that well or make a dent in my mortgage.

Bendis had a nice try, but we're not going to get another run like Claremont had on Uncanny in the 70s, 80s and 90s with how the industry works these days.

18. Guy Gardener

So you're 638 years in the past when you are told about an Ultron Apocalypse where it is requested that you fan the piddling reminiscent of burnished humanity and peace keep the cursed Ear... For god sake Reed! Causality be damned! You're in a Time machine! USE IT! Why not arrive home a year early and prepare for the Apocalypse? Forewarned is forearmed! Or even go 6 months into the future to see how you saved the world?! But no you and yourself in the middle of an unfolding disaster, and now your children are orphans.

UM?

Weren't they supposed to be spending a year in the Negative Zone? And if T'Challa can ring then up "whenever" on his timeywhimy cellphone... How is that "fake" old Johnny persisting in his cunning ruse that the Fantastic Four had been murdered decades earlier by baddies as yet unnamed...

**Sigh**

19. Nick Ryder

Nick Ryder Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Also keep in mind while Clairmont had a long run - not everything was pure gold - I mean hell I write fan fic/rpg stuff and I know there's stuff I've done that sucks but I go 'meh on to the next story'.

I'd rather see a book come out on time than be delayed for months or even years (here's looking at YOU Kevin Smith's Spider-Man: Evil that Men Do)

20. Guy Gardener

Uncanny Avengers got me this week.

Classic love triangles.

New love triangles.

Cap touched Wanda's face like she he was going to kiss her and the the scene cut away.

Before House of M, they were friends with benefits.

Alex is following Janet's ridiculous advice like a puppy.

Isn't he still married to Polaris and Wanda is his sisterinlaw who should be keeping tabs on these things?

Even if Lorna's not on the team, they should be be sharing a bed, in either of their houses, in the city a couple times a week. Not for sex, it just feels wrong to curl up with a pillow when there's a flesh and blood person a 20 minute cab ride away who can be a much better substitute and heated at that.

Sunfire is the first soldier on the team that makes sense.

Too many generals.

I loves me a really good Kang story.