Avengers Vs. X-Men -- Speculation, Spoilers, and Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Allyn Gibson, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Stark fires off 320 time spinning magnets calibrated to competing magnetic frequencies, and Eric deprecates "320 0f these must have cost you a fortune."

"Magneto has special magnet counting superpowers!"

That there is some pretty funny shit.

I have no fucking idea why they stuck YET ANOTHER bout between Namor and Ben Grimm in there, we have literally seen that at least 100 times, or we should have.

"Grimm, I propose...

"When are you going to get it Namor, no one in the Fantastic Four wants to marry you!"

" ...That you surrender!"

2. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Agreed. And yet, it keeps garnering great reviews. 5 out of 5 Stars, CBR? Really? :wtf:

3. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Magneto/Iron Man fight is a follow up I assume to the first issue of Magneto: Not A Hero where Tony was wearing plastic armour and Erik proved that even that would not stop him and he proceeded to make Tony feel very small and insignificant with a little tirade of his own.

4. Guy Gardener

I'm curious if Extremis turned the iron in his blood into plastic as well?

I remember a comment recently about how the armour now hides in his bone marrow, which would have made me think that it's a possibility that the armour is organic rather than plastic, otherwise it would be killing him like how Wolverine starts cutting out form all that metal in him whenthe healing facto goes off line. I think Claremont said it was like diabetes in the uncanny 230s when the Genoshan Pressgang downpowered him and Rogue.

Eric has rules to fighting fairly, otherwise he'd just make people explode from the inside.

My marvel handbook from the early 90's says that the Armour is polarized molecule chainmail... But a few weeks later Iron Man is getting inbetween Magneto and the scarlet witch in West coast Avengers and Byrne is talking about how he thinks the "hinges' in the armour are hidden in the letters collumn.

Back in New mutants 40 (ish?) magneto got really annoyed that Adamantium isn't magetic, but that's been thrown out the window a couple times since then, even when Steve had a put down with a Magneto LMD in cap during the acts of vengeance.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
  5. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

CBR sucking at Marvel's teat?

Hardly surprising.

6. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i know, i don't get it either. and they gave Daredevil and X-Men Legacy, two good books, poor reviews.

7. Turtletrekker

Something that occured to me-- Yes, the Phoenix is heading to Earth and destroying every planet in it's path. But what does Earth have that none of these of these other planets didn't? A waiting host.

In X-Sanction, Cable showed Cyclops a future wasteland and told him that this is what would happen if he let the Avengers take Hope. The Avengers want to remove Hope from Earth. Maybe that's the mistake. If the Phoenix arrives at Earth looking for a host and she's gone-- then the 616 is truely toast. Maybe they need to let it come to Hope and let her take control of it, and then she can keep it from destroying Earth. Or better yet, bring her to the Phoenix and keep it from destroying anymore inhabited worlds.

8. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

So is issue 0 worth getting? I missed it on newstands but if it's good I may seek it out online.

So, worth getting?

9. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

No. Try getting the main series.

10. Turtletrekker

It's worth getting if you don't know who the main players are. The Scarlet Witch has been more of the boogie-woman than a recurring character in the MU for the last 8 years. Hope is a fairly new character that some people may not know. If you're familiar with the players, then, no, it's not vital.

11. Guy Gardener

Go back further to Bishop blaming the concentration camp he was raised in on Hope.

12. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Good enough. Thanks guys, I'll just stick to collecting the main run. Can't wait for Round 3 this Wednesday :)

13. Admiral_Young

I would also recommend sticking to the main series as well. Wikipedia is an okay resource to get you up to date. I think House of UIster earlier in the thread provided the arcs to look up.

@TurtleTrekker...you actually read X-Sanction? Also excellent points on why taking Hope is a bad idea and why no one listening in this situation is making things worse.

14. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Well like I said earlier, I didn't feel too lost. The issues themselves are doing a decent job of telling me what I need to know to get the most out of this.

The only issue I had was who Hope was, and you guys took care of that for me :)

15. Turtletrekker

Yup. Three issues of repitition followed by one issue of finally getting to the point. The story could've been told in a done-in-one, but it did its job of setting up AvX, establishing Hope as the Phoenix and Cable warning Cyclops that war with the Avengers was coming, and soon.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
  16. Admiral_Young

I dropped it after the first issue thinking it was completely useless and typical Jeph Loeb crap. I agree it could have been a one shot. So where is Cable right now, seeing as how I didn't read it. Two issues in plus the zero issue and no sign or mention of Nathan.

17. Turtletrekker

In the final issue, Hope used the power of the Phoenix to cleanse Cable of the techno-organic virus that he has been fighting for his entire life. We last saw him weak but recovering in Utopia's sickbay.

In a conversation with Cyclops on the psychic plane, Cable showed Scott a vision of a wasteland future, and he and Scott have the following exchange--

18. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

That makes Scott's actions in the first issue a little more palpable. Knowing he was shown a certain future if events transpired one way.

19. Admiral_Young

Scott has been blinded by his belief that Hope combined with the Phoenix will restart the mutant population. This has been his sole motivation for his actions. Somewhat deluded when Phoenix has destroyed in the past, not given. He's blinded and desperate at this point to really hold on to anything.

20. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

It's better motivation for his actions than just "You have the gall to take her from me" attitude he seemed to be showing towards Cap in the first issue.