MLB Offseason: February 15 isn't THAT far away...

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Timby, Nov 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

So, this is the year Mike Piazza gets in? Ken Griffey Jr. for sure and maybe Trevor Hoffman? If anyone votes for Luis Castillo, I'll personally firebomb their house. Drop a F'ing pop up.

2. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

It's hard to say. The BBWAA purged a whole bunch of voters who haven't covered the sports in decades, but they get a ten-year grace period before they have to ride into the sunset, so Piazza is going to still get some of the "Steroid Era" bullshit resistance that he's always had just because he had some acne on his back. There's a decent shot he gets in but it's hard to tell. I think Bagwell has a better shot.

Junior Griffey is going to sail in.

Once again, Mussina and Raines are going to get totally fucked by the new eligibility rules and it's bullshit.

(And, of course, Bonds and Clemens are going to be left out in the cold. It cannot be overstated how much Bonds owned at hitting. The only people who have better career OBP, SLG, or OPS are Pre-war / Integration era, and Ted Williams. As far as counting stats go, had he played two or three more seasons he would have hit milestones or been top of the list: 3,000 Hits (2,935), 2,000 RBIs (1,996), 10,000 ABs (9,847), 13,000 PAs (12,606) 3,000 Games played (2,986), 1,500 XBH (1,440) and 2,300 Runs Scored (2,227). The last 2 would be leaders, too.)

3. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Can we just vote for Ted Williams a bunch more times instead? Maybe make a second tier of the HoF and put him there? The guy was other-worldly, and that's counting that he took some prime years off to head off to the war, and can't have come back 100% of what he was when he left. I'd take him over Babe Ruth as the best hitter ever, but worst case you could talk him down to second.

Feels dirty talking about people like Bonds or even Piazza in the same conversation.

Bill Simmons had the right idea, change the HoF to more of a pyramid style. A few different tiers, and things get more restrictive as you go up, until you get to the Williams or Ruth types at the top, where there's not even an argument; those are the best ever.

4. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Former Braves and Angels pitcher Tommy Hanson died Monday at the age of 29. He had trouble breathing Sunday and was taken to the hospital, where he suffered catastrophic organ failure and was in a coma before passing away. :(

5. Timby

God, that's awful. His bar exploits were legendary in Atlanta; according to some former co-workers, every bartender had a story about him. I really hope he didn't drink himself to death. (Or, even more morbidly, organ failure at that age can be a kind way to say "pills.")

6. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

Tommy was one of my favorites. He came in his rookie season throwing 97 mph sprinkled in with a nasty 12/6 hook. The next season he returned throwing a straight as an arrow 90 mph fastball and relied heavily on his "stuff." It's a shame how his career stalled and faded. I hope his death wasn't rooted in depression and self medication through alcohol. So sad. Rip Big Red.

7. Timby

Yeah, I don't want to speculate.

A friend of mine has a fun story of catching Brian McCann's 50th homer, and when they came to retrieve it, he asked to meet McCann. He goes into the clubhouse and Tommy Hanson is sitting in his boxers on a sofa eating Papa John's. :lol:

8. Pondwater

Pondwater Vice Admiral Admiral

:(I just saw it on the news. Until this thread, didn't know he was a bar fly.

9. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Braves are actively shopping Andrelton Simmons and Julio Teheran. Liberty Media is getting richer and richer and they have no intentions of actually putting together a winning team. I don't know how much more I can take.

10. Timby

Incredibly wealthy ownership gets a nearly free mallpark in a ridiculously wealthy area, cuts costs, pockets money, sky blue, water wet.

11. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I heard talk that the Braves actually tried to shop Simmons to the Mets in return for Matt Harvey and Jacob deGrom. Yeah, good luck with that. :guffaw:

12. Pondwater

I like those two right where they are.

13. Tom Hendricks

Simmons traded to Angles.

14. Pondwater

Nooooo!!! That can't be right. :(

15. Tom Hendricks

Sorry, thats whats being reported. I agree, terrible for Braves but probably really good for him.

16. Pondwater

They just flashed it on the news before saying "see you at 11". However, I was word playing on angles. :p

17. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

18. Tom Hendricks

Gotcha ya! Very nicely done, even if it sailed over my head.

19. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sounds like one of those stupid fans who call up sports talk radio stations.

"Yeah, Ryan Howard sucks and his salary is absurd. Why don't we trade him and Jerome Williams to the Angels for Mike Trout and Albert Pujols?"

20. HIjol

HIjol Vice Admiral Admiral

Read an interesting baseball quote the other day, attributed to Steve Jobs. It read, in part;

"...a home run is better than two doubles."

Hmmm...let's see.

Home Run = 1 run
    Two Doubles = 1 run, and a man on 2nd, with a number of relatively easy ways to bring him home for another run...

???

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.