2015-2016 NBA Season Discussion

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by tomalak301, Oct 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Season has started so might as well start a thread about it too. Warriors didn't look like they had any kind of Championship hangover last night, and Steph Curry might be the best shooter I've seen play the game. Man when he gets going it is fun to watch.

2. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

82-0 looking good for the Bulls so far. Thibs was holding them back!

3. tomalak301

I don't want to see Cleveland coming out of the east again so I'm rooting for the Bulls.

4. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

It's a looooooong season, especially if you're trying to repeat.

Lakers play Sac tonight after losing our home opener to Minny Wednesday. I'm not going to complain about Byron running their legs off in training camp because he likes his teams in shape so they can play tough D. Not only did they give up something like 45% shooting to the Wolves, they faded in the 4th quarter, 2 things all of Byron's scary conditioning was supposed to take care of.

Oh well, it's a looooong season.

5. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

See what Kings can do against the Clips tomorrow. Then I actually cheeer.

In the meantime, Lamarcus is aclimating to SA.

6. tomalak301

Of course it is, but it seemed like the point I kept hearing (especially from the TNT telecast) was that there is usually a championship hangover that first game. You get the rings, it probably becomes a distraction and the team has a poor effort. That didn't happen.

Honestly, I'm looking foward to like December 1, where it feels like the season really does start.

7. gblews

Yeah, those ring ceremony games can be a bitch. But what I meant was that you may not be able to see the "championship hangover" until the playoffs start.

It's looooong season.

8. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Charlotte dropped 130 on the Bulls tonight.

Defense much?

9. Borgminister

And then the Thunder lose to them... Hm.

Go Kings?

Yeah, right. Double header Fri-Sat, will witness with Son as a reward. No Cousins, no chance.

Sacramento is the definition of dysfunction.

10. tomalak301

The Warriors now have the best start in NBA history, but what is up with the Lakers. Kobe is dragging that team down badly and he was especially awful tonight.

11. gblews

You sound like a person who has not seen this team play without Kobe this season.

I understand that people still believe that "as Kobe goes, so go the Lakers", but this is no longer true and hasn't been for the last few years. This a team full mismatched vet pieces along with some promising rookies. And to top it off, they're badly coached. This team has way more than Kobe dragging it down.

12. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Steph Curry could miss his next 219 three-pointers and still shoot a higher percentage than Kobe Bryant.

13. gblews

Your point?

14. Alidar Jarok

No point. Thought it was an amusing stat. Steph Curry is playing really well and Kobe Bryant is not, which isn't news to anyone, but the stat is still a crazy number (which not only points to the low percentage Kobe is shooting at but that he's shot quite a decently large amount).

15. gblews

Kobe's low shooting percentage this season cannot be denied, but as great a player as Steph is right now, he has a "forever" to go before he even comes close to accomplishing what Kobe has accomplished.

Kobe's shooting has been puzzling to me. It's one thing to not be able to beat guys off the dribble, or jump high enough to get your shoot off uncontested, and another thing entirely to miss open mid-range jumpers. Kobe's always been a great shooter. That doesn't just disappear in one off season. Kobe, though, has missed nearly all of the last 3 seasons. So, I continue to believe that "rust" is also playing a large part here. Rust does wear off, so i also expect his shooting to improve as the season wears on.

As for his shot totals, Kobe is the most confident player I've ever seen. He ALWAYS believes that the next one is going in. But overall, Kobe, more than pretty much any player in NBA history, has earned the right to play out the rest of the season if he wants and the way he wants.

16. gblews

And just like that, Kobe decides.

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/dear-basketball/

Sad day for Lakers fans, sad day for basketball. One of the greatest to ever play will be gone after this season. I'm just glad he decided to play the rest of this season.

17. Alidar Jarok

He is one of the greatest players of all time. Playing out the season makes sense because he can have a farewell tour. His final game in Philadelphia is tomorrow. I hope the Sixers give him honorary boos for old time's sake. ;)

Here's a random article of something that almost happened, which was Kobe ending up as a Sixer:

Certainly, if you count greatest Philadelphia athletes, I'd probably put him second of all time.

18. gblews

Second to who, Joe Frazier, Rocky? :) If you're serious, give me a hint, like the sport.

Interesting to consider what might have happened had Philly drafted Kobe instead of Charlotte. I'm sure they wouldn't have accepted our offer of Vlade in exchange for the kid. Even if Philly had drafted Kobe, I think Phil still goes to L.A. because of Shaq. But without Kobe, how many championships would the Lakers have gotten back then? I'd say at least 1 (2000). We would never have traded Eddie Jones without Kobe. But there'd be no 3-Peat and no mid-00's back to back.

But Kobe with the 6ers? Could he have gotten that 2001 team a ring? Kobe instead of Iverson might have done it. His defense, rebounding and leadership, might have been enough. After game 1, AI had little to no affect on the series. The biggest thing though, would have been no Kobe-Shaq team-up and that may have turned that "super team" into just a "very good" one.

Spurs would have ruled the decade.

19. Alidar Jarok

I consider Wilt Chamberlain (another Laker as well, of course) to be the best Basketball player of all time, so Kobe would necessarily have to be second.

Frazier is certainly on the list. I'm not counting fictional people.

20. Borgminister

Kobe should sit in the second half.

He's old.

:(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.