World Premiere/Advance screening discussions [SPOILERS GUARANTEED]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by M'Sharak, Apr 5, 2009.

1. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

welcome to the dark side :evil: and opening night too! ;)

it'll be hard. I'm still feeling sad about it (and Amanda). but the best thing about it is Spock's reaction to it and the overall emo impact.

ya can't go wrong with using tragedy well in drama (or sci fi).

2. gh4chiefs

gh4chiefs Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah I have a tradition of seeing most of the movies on opening night. Not all of them, but most of them. So it seemed the right thing to do.

This is true, but to me losing Vulcan is like losing Kirk or Spock. It's a main character to me that belongs in the Trek universe, even if this is an alternate reality. Oh hell here I go again, beating a dead horse. Sorry folks. I'll quit whining one of these days I guess.

I'm sincerely looking forward to it even with my reservations. :bolian:

3. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

thank you. it'll be worth the ride (and the tears), I promise.

4. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Okay, that's what I thought.

5. darkwing_duck1

darkwing_duck1 Vice Admiral

The only thing that makes it "sci fi" is the alien and the time travel, and that is marginal. The plot is a basic military/revenge plot:

An renegade military naval leader steals a warship. The warship has an surface battle with a warship from an international alliance.

Then the renegate naval leader shoots a nuclear missile at a city and destroys it.

The international alliance sends their own warship out to stop him. They use superior speed, conventional weapons, planes, and the help of one of his former officers to aid themselves in stopping him by making him target himself with another nuclear missile.

6. The Super Brando

The Super Brando Commander Red Shirt

With that reasoning none of Star Trek would be considered scifi.

"Oh that's not scifi, that's just wagon train to the stars."

You could do that with Wrath of Khan, or BSG, or Star Wars, or hell anything scifi.

IMO, I suspect what we have here are some people who are angry this movie isn't like TMP, and doesn't lead into TOS, and therefore have decided beforehand to find reasons to hate it.

7. darkwing_duck1

darkwing_duck1 Vice Admiral

Which was the original intent from GR. Tell a good STORY first and foremost.

GOOD sci-fi, yes. A good movie has a good basic story that could fit ANY genre.

Agreed.

8. donners22

donners22 Commodore Commodore

A few random thoughts:

- Are the Remans erased from canon? I can understand Nero not mentioning them, but surely Spock could have said something about their planet being blown up?

- The action scenes are really hard to follow. I get the idea of going for chaos, but it was just confusing and irritating.

- How many times can a man almost fall off a cliff, or get beaten up? The count was three for the first, and I think the latter was a lot more.

- Loved the little introductions for each character, especially Chekov.

- Nero is a quite unconvincing villain, and his meeting with Spock and Kirk was bland.

- Plenty of laughs through the film, especially for Scotty. I think he could be irritating to some who come in with a negative mindset.

- "I'll be monitoring your frequency" got some laughs at the sheer awfulness of the line.

- Pike and McCoy were great characters.

- The snow monsters looked horrible, and that was an awful scene - as bad as the Nemesis planet chase.

- Where the hell are all the Vulcan ships, and for that matter, don't they have any colonies?

- Kirk's promotion, and the promotion of most of the crew, was quite ludicrous.

Overall I liked it, but there are a few things that bug me the more I think about them.