COUNTDOWN TO DARKNESS 5-page preview

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by F. King Daniel, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Reminds me of SW...

By the time I saw TESB I had already read the comic adaptation of the film. Then I ordered the ROTJ storybook ( like a kiddie novelization ) - which was due to arrive before the film came out - through my school, but the order got screwed up/delayed. A friend down the block had it and let me look at it, but the weird thing is he would only let me read the very beginning and the very end.

I am significantly more spoiler-averse now.

Also, I believe the novelization of ROTS was released before the film.

2. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Check out Trekmovie.com - bigger preview and a review containing spoilers.

3. EyalM

EyalM Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I wish I hadn't read that. That's a rather large spoiler (for the comic) at the end.

That being said, I can't wait to see the reaction here :devil:

4. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Heh - me too - but I did warn you... could be an indirect link to Harrison in there?

5. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Whoa...shocker there. I wasn't expecting that from the comic. Nice twist.

6. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

7. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

So much fuzz over a comic that will have nothing to do with the actual film. Just like the 2009 Countdown, not even Bob Orci considers that one canon.

8. Kosh Naranek

Kosh Naranek Captain Captain

I just like looking around for tidbits.

I also have an unreasonable amount of love for Amanda as a character.

Can't wait for the movie.

9. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

The novelizations of all the Star Wars prequels were released a month before the theatrical releases. That sort of thing was the norm for all movies back in the day. In fact, it was common for movies which were postponed to still have their novelizations released prior to the originally scheduled release date.

It's only been in recent years when novelizations are held back to either the same day as the film's theatrical release or shortly after. The first one I remember doing this was The Dark Knight.

It's a practice that really consuses me. Oh, yes, "Spoilers are evil," but it's a fact that these days with DVDs and blu-rays being readily available not to mention other means, Netflix, online downloads, the demand for novelizations has gone down. Especially since DVDs and blu-rays include deleted scenes which used to be a novelization's greatest strength. By not releasing the novelization until the movie's release there's no real reason to buy it. I guess it's no wonder hardly anyone bothers with novelizations anymore.

Now, that's better. See, this is what they should have used, something new. Not a recap of what happened in Trek XI.

10. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Spoiler discussion anyone?

and this is a major spoiler for the comic itself and possibly the entire movie...

Captain Robert April.....

11. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^TrekMovie's description of that character is puzzling.
    They call April a former Enterprise captain, but in the Abramsverse, Pike is the first captain of the Enterprise on its maiden voyage in 2258. So is the TrekMovie reviewer just adding a description that isn't actually in the comic? Or is the comic claiming there was an earlier Enterprise? I suspect the former.

12. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

He's apparently identified as being that in the comic itself. It's also said that he resembles neither Peter Weller nor Benedict Cumberbatch.
    http://www.flickeringmyth.com/2013/01/so-does-idws-star-trek-into-darkness.html?m=1

Perhaps...
    What we saw in STXI was actually a refit of the Enterprise and not a build from scratch?

Or maybe there was a prior Enterprise in this timeline, NCC-701 or something.

Or maybe their continuity is simply that bad and they're making Highlander 2-sized retcons:shrug:

13. The Wormhole

That itself means nothing. It could simply be a matter of neither Cumberbatch or Weller authorizing their likeness be duplicated in the comic. Unlikely in Cumberbatch's case given his prominent role in the movie this issue would likely have been covered in his contract. Especially since he is on the movie's poster which is used as a variant cover for the comic.

14. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Well...

I find it hard to believe that the Federation would go nearly a century (2161-2258) without a Starship Enterprise considering the key role it played in its formation.

I have no issues with one existing between NX-01 and NCC-1701, in either the Prime or new timeline, regardless of what DS9 says.

15. The Wormhole

Not just DS9, TNG also.

16. BillJ

I think only DS9 said the number of ships named Enterprise that existed in the Federation. TNG had the wall, but I'm inclined to ignore that as well.

17. The Wormhole

I was thinking of Relics.
    Scotty: "Show me the bridge of the Enterprise."
    Computer: "There have been five Federation starships named Enterprise."

Also, the D's dedication plaque says "fifth ship to bear the name."

18. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

The proposed opening of Trek 09 was to feature the Enterprise, not the Kelvin which gets destroyed and Captain April, not Robau.

Bob Orci has replied to comments at Trek Movie saying that the change in timeline has changed April more than others.

19. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Well, of course, the comics aren't canonical, and the original Countdown had some story points that weren't quite consistent with the final film (like claiming that Spock and Nero had been friends before the supernova). So maybe the same applies here.

20. BillJ

Right you are. Completely forgot about Relics. Whether by choice or old age? That's for others to decide... :lol: