Star Wars: Episode VII: The Nerd Rage Awakens

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by cooleddie74, Jan 13, 2014.

1. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Re: New Casting and Story Rumors re: EPISODE VII

They won't be.

2. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

But the Jedi aren't weakening due to the policy.

3. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Or are they?

4. AgentCoop

AgentCoop Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Maybe it's the Lucas apologist in me, but I still feel like he was going for something in his portrayal of the Jedi in the prequels. The "no attachments" thing (which is derived from Buddhism, I believe), which leads the Jedi to separate themselves from what's going on in the Republic, ultimately leads to them being blind to what's going on right under their noses. Maybe it didn't land, but I think it's there.

5. cooleddie74

^
    That's what I believe he was going for by designing the Jedi Order to function the way it did during those films. I understand why he did it and as I said earlier, it makes the Order's eventual fall all the more tragic because they'd become so rigidly attached to millennia-old traditions and rules that they couldn't successfully adapt to the changing galaxy around them and face and defeat the resurgent and growing Sith threat.

The Sith were willing to do whatever it took to win. The Jedi weren't, and were never going to be.

6. Set Harth

Actually, the Jedi do have a somewhat unfortunate attachment, and it's to the Republic. They just never imagined that the leader of the Republic would turn out to be a Sith.

They became blind due to the shroud of the dark side, something that was not emanating from them.

7. safarial

safarial Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

8. sojourner

No, none of that was new information.

9. AgentCoop

Agreed on all counts.

Well, I think the whole "shroud of the Dark Side" thing is more of a symptom of the problem and not the actual problem itself. The Jedi allowed themselves to become so complacent that a Sith Lord who was right in front of them managed to cripple them and never once set off anyone's "spider sense" among the Jedi.

I completely agree about their attachment to the Republic, however. It seems they managed to rationalize that one somehow.

Arguably, this whole discussion explains why Obi-Wan and Yoda seemed to take a much less rigid approach with Luke. They've had many years to contemplate why the Jedi failed so completely.

10. Set Harth

That would essentially be accurate if by "the problem" we mean Palpatine. The problem was Palpatine/the Sith and the fact that the Sith had unbalanced the Force. It was external in nature and did not originate from any flaw on the part of the Jedi, including their marriage policy. Presumed Jedi incompetence is not in itself a dark side thing.

He was probably smart enough to not use the Force right in front of them, for one thing. We do appear to see Yoda giving him suspicious looks at times, and in ROTS they come right out and say that the dark side surrounds him.

11. AgentCoop

I'm not really disagreeing with you, I just think there's more than one thing going on here. That's what I mean when I say that I think Lucas was going for something that maybe wasn't as clear as he had hoped. I just think that the Jedi had put themselves in a place that made things a lot easier for Palpatine.

12. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

13. thumbtack

thumbtack Commodore Commodore

What is that?

14. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

People are speculating that it's the foot of the AT-AT or an escape pod, but it could be pretty much anything at this point.

15. sojourner

To quote Flynn from Tron, "That's a really big door".

16. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I tried, but I can't muster any enthusiasm for this project. My main reason for it to do well is it's good for other SF projects, since we all know Hollywood likes to copy success.

17. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Well there's not really a whole lot to get excited about yet. We don't know anything about the story other than the fact it takes place 30 years after ROTJ, and the only confirmed cast member is R2.

I think once we see some actual footage, or shots of Ford in the Han Solo costume again, it'll be much easier to get excited for this.

18. sojourner

Let's just hope Carrie doesn't get into the metal bikini.

19. cooleddie74

Could be an old Imperial Walker foot. Could be a round door of some kind. On the other hand, it could be a completely different set prop or decoration designed specifically to look like something from one of the earlier films just to spark conversation and rumors.

Never put anything past Lucasfilm and J.J. Abrams. ;)

20. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

This. When this movie comes out, I'm sure I'll go see it. But for now, I don't share the excitement of a hunk of something being seen rolled out of a tent. Please wake me up when there is something to see.