Official TrekBBS Fantasy Baseball thread!

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Scout101, Feb 10, 2010.

1. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Yeah, the draft pick swapping got a little fuzzy, but the short version is that I gave him McCutchen, and I got his 8th rounder. Then swapped 7th rounders so I could move up to the front of that round, and gave him slightly better position in the 12th.

Realisically, just wanted the 7th rounder, but it was a high one, but the 8th rounder he had was low, so got a little creative.

Just stuck in my usual position, where I've got my 6 established keepers, but a couple more guys that grade out to be high picks, just no room to keep them, so I try and swing a trade for draft picks instead. Check out my team if you're interested, I've got plenty more merchandise to move before the draft! Hamels, Buchholz, Rios, Upton, what can I get for you? :)

2. sportzkid

sportzkid Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ya it did get a little fuzzy. but think it worked out alright for both of us in the end.

Also reminder for Keeper deadline. If you have not already set your keepers yet, you have until March 12 at 12PM ET to do it. Don't forget.

3. Pegaritaville

Pegaritaville Vice Admiral Admiral

I spent 3 hours on a plane reading over fantasy magazines so I could get a handle on my team. I think I finally have a game plan (though still undecided about Morneau), but if past drafts are any indication, my plans will fall apart by the time I make my 3rd pick.

4. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

You should have about 7 closers on your roster by that point, if the past is any indication :p

Sent a few trade offers out to you (and others). Scout's keeper swap-mart is open for business. Don't trade with anyone else until you've made an offer for my guys! (Almost) everyone must go! :)

5. Rygel XIX

Rygel XIX Captain Captain

Here's a caveat for the whole league - and I'm sure Scout will love me for this (not) :p- BUT, be careful how many draft choices he gets his hands on. His team is powerful enough at the moment. Let's try not to make it any better...

However, you might say, "but I can get Hamels or Rios or Upton, and these players would easily go in the 4th, 5th or 5th rounds! Trading a 7th or 8th round pick to get one of them is a deal!" -- Yeah, well if he has to keep these players unprotected, you might actually be able to pick one up with earlier pick (ie that 7th or 8th round pick you just gave Scout OR an earlier pick if you don't protect 6).

So please, think twice before trading Scout any more draft picks

6. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Well, to be fair, whichever team WHAM is just added a 7th and 8th rounder for Bautista and a 9th rounder, so that move by itself added more to a team than anything I've done this year.

Not saying there isn't some merit to trying your luck and seeing what you can pick up rather than trading for the player now, but you lose the certainty of actually GETTING that player. If you only use a couple Keeper spots, you can most likely get whoever you want, but past that, you're competing with everyone else.

Besides, if you don't trade for the player you wanted (Hamels, Rios, Upton, whoever), maybe I'll trade them to someone else before you get your chance ;) I have no loyalty to players, I'd trade my favorite home-town guy for an improved keeper pick or draft slot :devil:

Also, my team is going to win it all this year either way, so rather than spite yourself trying to stop it, might as well start competing for second place :techman:

7. Rygel XIX

I'm not saying you're not being fair, just that I don't want your team to get more powerful than it currently is...

And, as a matter of fact, I don't mind the fairness, since I'm actually WHAM CO (a nod to the 1993 Blue Jays powerful lineup - White, Henderson, Alomar, Molitor, Carter, Olerud) - the re-branded Deus Ex Machina.

If one of your unprotected players falls to me in the draft, I'll use one of those draft choices to pick them up. Otherwise, I'll be picking up someone of equal value...

This year will be THE year that I break into top three.

8. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Well, then just say it's about being jealous instead of fairness and value. ;) I mean, you just finished taking a 7th and 8th rounder for Bautista, and I got less than that for McCutchen, so fairness isn't really an issue, and I'm certainly giving pretty good value in the trades...

Reason people keep trading with me is because of that, mostly. Heck, I've traded Hamels since we talked :)

I definitely know what you're trying to say, but when it's fair value for a known commodity now, and you have keeper spots available, not always a bad move to lock things down. Maybe you find something better, maybe the draft goes in a different direction. really depends on how you feel about the guy in the trade, i guess. Sportzkid wasn't getting McCutchen outside of trading for him, for example. I'd either keep him, or he'd go pretty much immediately in the draft, and Sportzkid wasn't in position to get him. Maybe you can find someone else you like, or go after pitching and get weaker OF players later, but if you want THAT guy, gotta make a move. Same with the recent trade for Hamels. A couple teams really only have 2-3 legitimate keepers on their team, so there are going to be several rounds where the good non-kept players are taken off the board before the 7th round starts. If you want one of those top 60-70 players, and you're not one of those teams basically starting over, you have to trade for them or go in another direction. Even for players not being kept, if you have 5 keepers of your own, you're going to lose out on those kinds of guys to the team that only kept 3. If it's a guy that really shouldn't go until the 10th or 12th round, you can probably risk it. If he's normally a 4th round pick, seems unlikely...

9. Pegaritaville

I can't say this was the main reason I declined his offer, but it was definitely something I took into consideration. He already has a shitload of picks in the early (actual) draft rounds. I guess kudos to him for putting himself in a good position. If I had the trade bait to do it, I might have tried the same approach.

10. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

If it was a dynasty league, I'd have kept most of those guys (McCutchen is probably going to be one I wish I had back later), but since I have to throw them away and try again, might as well at least try to set myself up to replace them with similar talent...

11. Rygel XIX

EXACTLY the type of defensive posturing I expected from you SCOUT:p

As a matter of fact, I totally respect what your doing, and understand that these trades only make your team better in the long run. Which goes back to my initial point of warning others about not making your team any stronger;)

Good luck in the draft and with the upcoming season:cool:

12. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

I guess it just seemed funny that you were warning people not to do this deal with me, and the reasons why people shouldn't, when YOU were doing the exact same thing.

Actually, yours was even worse, as you ended up basically taking a 7th AND 8th rounder for Bautista, who could very well be the definition of one-hit-wonder...

No running, he says as he jogs by :p

13. Rygel XIX

I can see how you might think that. Unfortunately for me, my keepers aren't as good as yours. Also, I don't have an extra 5 or 6 players who could be considered keepers that I could turn around for draft choices. Add to that the three extra high middle round picks you have (7th, 8th, 9th) on top of your normal picks AND 3 or 4 others you could trade for draft choices, your team has the potential to be ultra scary this year. The intent of my initial post was to sway people away from making you even stronger, despite what moves I have done myself.

14. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Well, to be fair, my team is ALWAYS ultra-scary. :D I've had a couple years off from winning the whole thing, and getting tired of that, so time to punish Coaster and McCosh for stealing the limelight!

Had a good draft the first year, and have slowly worked on the roster to upgrade that talent through trades and lucky picks. Little disappointed this year in some people's sliding draft value. One year, I think I had 3 or 4 of the top 5-6 ranked players :)

Anywho, just found it funny that you were warning people not to give me any extra draft choices when you had just finished a trade that gave you someone's 7th and 8th rounders, that's all.

15. Rygel XIX

Now that you made the point for the umpteenth time, I finally got it!:rommie:

Oh, by the way, what would it take to get Rios from you?:devil:

16. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

:lol: Make me an offer...

17. sportzkid

sportzkid Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Since I was the first one to trade with scout, giving him draft picks was not a huge consideration for me. Also simply for my team it made sense for me, and that over rides any other reasons, because if it was good for my team that is what matters.

18. Pegaritaville

Just a reminder- our keeper league draft is today (20th) at 7:15 central.

19. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Just think: in about 3 hours, you can look over my roster and weep for your season :)

20. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Yep, pretty happy with my results. Just need to wait for the DL to open up so I can stash my injured value pick (Sizemore), but generally ready for some baseball :)