AVENGERS: Grade, Reviews, Discuss, DVD & Sequel **SPOILERS**

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Apr 20, 2012.

?

How do you grade The Avengers?

Poll closed Nov 26, 2012.
  1. A+

46.4%
  2. A

31.8%
  3. A-

9.3%
  4. B+

5.3%
  5. B

3.4%
  6. B-

1.6%
  7. C+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. C

1.2%
  9. C-

0.3%
  10. D+

0.3%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

0.3%
  1. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

I liked someone finally giving a proper comeback to the "There are no Men like me!" spiel.

Now we just need someone to say that to Jaime Lannister.

2. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

It's been inferred in the past the Banner has a measure of control over Hulk when he initiates the change himself.

3. Trekker4747

Yeah, that was my thinking too. The type of radiation used by Stark was in-duplicable resulting Banner trying Gamma rays which... Didn't end well.

Correct me if I am wrong, this is the first time in the MCU we were told exactly how "this Hulk" (technically Norton's Hulk) came to be. IIRC from the Ang Lee movie the experiment wasn't about trying to duplicate the super-soldier process but something else entirely. In fact the opening credits sequence to TIH suggests Banner willingly tested the process on himself. (In the Ang Lee movie, Banner is exposed to the Gamma Radiation accidentally when tries to save a co-worker from exposure apparently thinking his body is made out of lead.)

And, yeah, I realize the "Norton Hulk Origin" footage is available as a DVD extra or something, but I've never seen it.

A little less than two years pass (on Earth) between the events in "Thor" and the events in "The Avengers." (This according to the Marvel Cinematic Universe Timeline.) Thor destroys the Bifrost in May 2010, The Avengers takes place in February of 2012.

Of course this is the time that passes on Earth, the time passage on Asgard could be different.

I didn't take the joke about Loki being "adopted" (strictly speaking he was baby-napped) as being against adopted children just as someone said above it was Thor's way of "distancing" himself from Loki by saying his bloodlines aren't the same as Thor's.

It was a simple, small, Whedonistic joke nothing more. I doubt it was Whedon's way to insult people who've been adopted as I see no reason why he'd even want to do such a thing. Those upset about it are making mountains out of molehills over a nothing line. It's like the ado that was made over the infamous "don't go full retard" scene in "Tropic Thunder" where special-needs groups got all upset over the pejorative rather than catching the meaning of the scene/message.

Thor's line was a simple joke that Loki and he do not share any ambitions or likeness by blood.

Last edited: May 11, 2012
  4. Caligula

Caligula Vice Admiral Admiral

So.... what did you LIKE about the movie? :wtf:

5. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Second weekend tweets about Avengers being sold out. Mostly in frustration by I think people who felt this would be a better time to see it cause they skipped out last weekend.
    Hope they don't give up, it needs to be seen on the big screen.

6. Trekker4747

Posted through the MCU's Facebook page:

[​IMG]

7. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

The Avengers is poised to smash Avatar's second-weekend box office record. $90 million seems to be the low end of the predictions. :D

8. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

FUCK YEAH!

9. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

RE: $90m second weekend low end predict
    At BoxOfficeTheory.com, sister site to BoxOffice.com, I'm predicting $108m. That is roughly only a 48% drop weekend/weekend, tough I know but this is a monster so my predict is treating it as such.

With a good Thursday total of $12.5m The Avengers domestic total after 7 days in release stands at $270 million!! With 16 days in international release it's total worldwide to date is $803 million!!! :eek: :eek:

10. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

Omg people are getting worked up about that line :wtf: I thought it was obvious Thor meant it as distancing himself.

11. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Some people look for excuses to get outraged.

12. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Is that the "diner" from the movie?

13. Eduardo

Eduardo Captain Captain

Let's go by parts:

- In the Ang Lee movie, which is not connected in any way to the MCU, Banner (Kessler, sigh) was investigating, along with Betty Ross, using nanobots to heal injuries. It was a civilian investigation in an university, no military involved until the movie starts and former major Talbot tries to acquire their research.

The gamma radiation from the accident combined with the nanobots and the genetic modifications transmited to Bruce by his father create the Hulk.

- In the Inc. Hulk, Banner and Betty were working at Culver University, under the sponsorship of the US Military in a project to "strengthen cellular resistance to radiation" in soldiers (or so they are told).

General Ross actually was using Banner & Betty's research as part of restarting the Bio Force Enhancement Project (the Super-Soldier Program).

Banner, under pressure of funding being cut, tests the process on himself, iirc.

All of that is explained in two scenes, the one in which General Ross & Blonsky discuss what Banner is, and an scene between Betty and Banner, in which he tells her that her father wanted to weaponize the Hulk.

EDIT:

Here we go:

14. Othello

Othello Commodore Commodore

Seriously? Basically 90% give this an A- or better? While there were a few seriously laugh out loud moments :guffaw: like Hulk smashing Thor, as a movie it was like a B or B- (my vote) at best. True herd mentality on this one.

15. throwback

throwback Captain Captain

The only issue I have with this film is the same issue I had with Star Wars: The Phantom Menace. Why would an advanced civilization develop a robotic army that when the command center is destroyed automatically shut down? Our own civilization is moving incrementally toward building an autonomous drone fleet that can operate independently of a command center, and will continue to obey its directive when the command center is either incapacitated or destroyed.

16. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

IIRC, the diner in the movie was the "Shawarma Palace".

17. Eduardo

Eduardo Captain Captain

Well, if it is Thanos, and he is like the comics, it kind of makes sense. For all we know the Chitauri are like zombified slaves.

That and if Loki tries to betray him by closing the portal and keeping the army & Earth for himself, the army turns worthless due to the loss of the connection.

18. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Or they have the lowest morale ever.

19. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I thought they were cyborgs, and that the whole army was bio-mechanical. If they all "died" that's a hell of a biological hazard in the city!

RAMA

20. throwback

throwback Captain Captain

I think it's clear that they all died - the soldiers and the Leviathans. In my last viewing, after seeing one of the Leviathans landing belly-up on a building, I ask myself, how will the government get that thing down?

I betcha the US government is going to have a field day with the knowledge they will acquire from this wreckage. They will new weapons, and they will have knowledge of advanced bio-mechanics. I wonder if we will see any of this addressed in the later films.

I think the Chitauri were some of the worst shooters in any sci-fi/fantasy. A Chitauri could enter an office, fire three shoots, and miss a frightened office drone. Even I, who wasn't trained in the military, know that you don't shoot at a moving target, you shoot at where you anticipate them to be. I saw this in the movie when Hawkeye anticipated where a Chariot would be, and nailed it with an explosive arrow. As the Chitauri were such poor soldiers, and they behaved like that animal Thor mentioned that is repulsive and tramples everything in its path, I have some questions:

1.) What was the purpose of the Chitauri? Once they got into a fight with any professional or contractor army, their days were numbered. If they were to frighten the civilian populace, the Other's plan would have backfired. Killing civilians doesn't make them scared; it makes them mad and mobilizes them to fight against the intruders.
    2.) Why was SHIELD's 'overlords' so bent on nuking New York City? The state government of New York was already sending in National Guard units to fight the intruders, and, eventually, the United States government would commit forces to the battle. (This would imply the battle had been raging for an hour, at least.) The 'overlords' reaction seemed odd to me, especially when it was clear that the intruders were contained to a 3-block radius around the portal. It becomes even more interesting when it is revealed at the end that a nuke could destroy the command center, and that the portal could be shut down by a specter being jammed into the portal generator.

I was amused by Senator Boynton demanding that the Avengers be held accountable for the damage done to New York. When I saw that, my thoughts went to Ghostbusters II. In that film, it was revealed that the Ghostbusters were sued for damages done to New York City, and had to disband.