Should it have been a straight reboot?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Ssosmcin, Sep 7, 2009.

1. barnaclelapse

barnaclelapse Commodore Commodore

I think you could claim some of those as fan service, yes, but I don't think Nimoy's place in the film or his performance were fan service in the least (anyone else getting Evangelion flashbacks every time they use that term).

2. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Which is shame because fan service is exactly what it was. Why do you think they didn't just use old age prosthetics on Quinto?

3. barnaclelapse

barnaclelapse Commodore Commodore

Well, I think it was originally intended to be fan service, but I think they were able to get something greater than that out of it.

4. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed.

5. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Cuz old age prosthetics almost never ever work :)

Haven't AGT, the Visitor, and Endgame taught us anything?!

6. JarodRussell

Yeah it's not like they had a 150 million budget and 10 years of advancement in make up and digital make up (much of it thanks to ILM) to make an old age Quinto work. Instead they cast an actor who looks nothing like Quinto to play his character at old age.

7. Yug

Yug Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Your sarcasm is literally twisting in on itself... RED MATTER !!

8. Yeoman Randi

Yeoman Randi Vice Admiral Admiral

Because it was a way to pass the baton, if you will, and because they COULD use Nimoy one more time as Spock. I would have been very unhappy if they HAD 'aged' Quinto when they could have used Nimoy. His presence was wonderful. To be able to see him as Spock, to hear him say "Live Long and Prosper" one more time meant a great deal to me and to many other fans. This is just my opinion, but i think you may be seeing this in a very cynical light as opposed to seeing it as the gift that it was.

9. Yug

Yug Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Absolutley !!:beer:

10. candle_86

candle_86 Lieutenant Red Shirt

im gonna be honest here, reboot or a very lackluster explanation for a timeline issue, either way I wouldn't have liked it. My reason being very simple, while the old stuff remains thats fine, how much material will we get now for it? Besides Star Trek Online will new games refrance the new movie. Will the new books be about the new movie and will kirks image change to the new guy? They may have left Trek alone when they did this, but they also killed any chance for a future for the real trek by making this. Star Trek as we know it after ST:O will start to revolve around the new continuity not the old one. I only see one real way out of this, and thats what should have happened in the first place but didn't. Any alien from the future that goes back in time to alter the past gets stoped and the timeline fixed by Temporal agents, that protect the timeline. With Vulcan gone sevral events will change. Most notably the unifiction with Romulus that was in progress will never have started. Who knows how the Bable Confrence goes now.

Also in a weakened state who is the say the Romulans wont be more aggresive and inviade these are all things to look at, and things temporal agents would fix. The Second movie should bring in someone like Braxton and his timeship to set the timeline straight. Will it happen of course not, trek is popular again and paramount only cares about how much money it will make, not if fans are happy with it. I hated this movie, I hate what it represents and what it stands for, and I honestly think ST:O will be the last thing in Star Trek I truly pay attetion to. I wont go see ST12 no interest in it, I wont buy books in the new timeline. Games of course will be about this new timeline so they wont interest me. And all the fans comming to trek arn't going to watch the real trek, it wont matter to them. Ive meet some of the new fans already, got brought in with STXI and think the old stuff is outdated garbage and looks ugly and basic. Abrams didnt help the fan base out here, he killed the fanbase off. I will join the similar ranks of those who declared TNG the end of trek. Who only count ST 1-IV, TOS, and TNG S1-3 as Canon, though only in spirt, as I count Trek as ST 1-10 and TOS, TAS, TNG, DS9, VOY, and ENT as canon. But my trek is over, its that simple its over.

I guess as kirk said This is the final cruise of the Starship Enterprise under my command. This ship and her history will shortly become the care of another crew. To them and their posterity will we commit our future. They will continue the voyages we have begun, and journey to all the undiscovered countries, boldly going where no man... where no *one* has gone before.

I feel the same way as him, others can continue with trek, others can lead on from here, but this is where I stop.

11. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, gotta work on that sarcasm-detector there, bud. Even the almighty Smiley face failed!

Besides, it didn't quite work in Benjamin Button, and the whole movie revolved around CGI and prosthetics. We've got bigger things to focus CGI on, like the pew-pew and ships that go zoom.

12. JarodRussell

Sarcasm is for winners, dude. :)

Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
  13. Shazam!

There's the problem with modern Star Trek right there.

14. Shazam!

So it was fan service. Just like I said it was : |

15. Yeoman Randi

^ If it makes you happy you can label it "fan service" or anything else you want....

I've been around here long enough to know that no matter what i or anyone else says, nothing will change your mind.

I really do feel badly for you and the other people who cannot accept and enjoy the new movie. But, we are all entitled to our opinions, so it is what it is.

Im just glad that i gave the movie a chance and ended up loving it. It makes me happy and i am sorry that you are unable to enjoy it.

16. Shazam!

But it is fan service. You even said so yourself:
    What I feel about it is irrelevant. Fan service is both good and bad depending on what side of the fence of the you fall.

17. JarodRussell

Oh, listen, I think they are playing the "I'm am so sorry for you" song again. It's in the play list just before "You just don't know how to enjoy anything" and "Lighten up, it's just a popcorn flick".

18. Shazam!

I love that one. Like a 'popcorn' Star Trek movie is somehow a good thing.

For the record, I don't even hate the new movie but apparently you can't say anything even slightly negative without being labeled a 'hater' or something.

19. Yeoman Randi

Guys, im not here for a pissing contest, but i do feel the need to clarify something. When i said i feel badly for people that are unhappy with the movie i was not being sarcastic.

This movie truly makes me happy. I felt younger every time i left the theater. It was a joyful experience for me, and i really do feel badly that everyone doesnt feel that way about it....because it is a wonderful feeling. :)

20. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

You don't let Westmore do it, you get somebody with the greatness of a Dick Smith or Rick Baker ... and those old age makeups don't just work, you don't even realize they are folks in makeup (most people, anyway ... Von Sydow in EXORCIST is the classic example, and that was 35 years ago.)