The STAR TREK III-Love & Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Mutara Nebula 1967, Jan 2, 2013.

1. KarmicCurse

KarmicCurse Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I've never heard of this procession bit before. What are the known details?

I agree since they couldn't film Genesis on location and had to create it in the studio, they missed an opportunity to create something really original.

2. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

The CFQ issue mentioned upthread has some stuff on it, including some production art in color. It is basically a sequence bridging between the BoP landing on Vulcan and everybody being way up the mountain in the temple. Everybody goes walking up, and a little girl does a 'live long & prosper' thing I think as Spock is carried past. I've been told there's even a pic of that somewhere, maybe on the bubble gum card set.

There is this Vulcan Hall of Big Heads (not what they call it) where they used a bunch of large photo cutouts that supposedly looked cool. I think at least one of the matte shots for the sequence wasn't even finished, probably this was cut when they first got their cut assembled. I think the cinematographer is quoted about it in that issue, saying something like 'the audience would have been getting ahead of them if he kept all that in the movie.' Surprised it never got put in as an extra to sate all those Vulcanolics out there.

3. 22 Stars

22 Stars Commodore Commodore

And that Vulcan child even gets a credit at the end of the film, so that is even stranger! Yeah, I love the Vulcans and would love to see this footage someday, even if it lasts for just a few seconds.

I thought i would also mention my favorite nuPhaser and Communicator are from III. I know the props are a small part to most people, but there is an avid prop fandom community and these are just elegant re imaginings of the classics.

4. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

Anything and everything would be an improvement on that communicator from TWOK. Looks like it came straight from ww2, though I read it was actually a Vietnam item that got plated with silver.

When I saw that thing opening night, it utterly undid the joy of seeing somebody flipping open a communicator again after all those years, because I just couldn't stop gawking at that ugly bulky PoS.

Kinda made me think later that the company that supplied it should have been called Obsolete Props instead of Modern Props.

5. 22 Stars

22 Stars Commodore Commodore

Lol, i believe the II comm is an metal electrical outlet box, the kind installed inside the wall during new construction. And yes, it is ugly and doesn't actually 'flip'!! a big WTF moment back then. At least it was shaped more like a classic com and not the wrist comm from TMP.

6. Caligula

Caligula Vice Admiral Admiral

In Russia, the costume wears YOU! ...Yeah, I know, that joke's been done to death. :D

I feel like I should've been the one to start this thread! Part 2 of the "Star Trek Trilogy," otherwise known as Star Trek III: The Search for Spock, remains to this day as second only to its immediate predecessor among all the Trek films, as far as I'm concerned. There is really nothing I would change about it.

It's true that Star Trek III does more or less hit the reset button where Spock is concerned, and in a way that requires you not to examine it too closely. However, what the crew goes through to make sure that happens (showing that they, like their fallen comrade, have within them the selflessness to sacrifice everything for those they care about) is what drives the plot. This is where some of the best drama of the entire film series is present. Commander Kruge may be several steps down from Khan Noonien Singh, but who wouldn't have been? Christopher Lloyd shows here that he's just as good at playing a cold-hearted bastard as he is at playing endearing, light-hearted characters.

Star Trek II and Star Trek III are movies I have loved since before I entered public school. They both still hold up fantastically, and both appear in my top 20 favorite films of all-time!

7. Anji

Anji Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Assisting in the birth of baby Horta on Janus VI
    TSFS is alright with only two redeeming scenes: the one where Scotty hotwires the Enterprise and the ending where "the needs of the one outweigh the needs of the many."

With better actors playing the Klingons and better directing by Nimoy (sorry, the pacing was WAAAAY off), the film could've been great.

However, following TWOK, any film would've paled in comparison.