A three film comparison/face-off...

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Warped9, Dec 29, 2012.

?

Which film did you like best (even with reservations)?

1. Star Trek (2009)

60 vote(s)
    67.4%
  2. Prometheus (2012)

6 vote(s)
    6.7%
  3. The Dark Knight Rises (2012)

18 vote(s)
    20.2%
  4. I liked them all equally...

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
  5. I didn't care for any of them...

4 vote(s)
    4.5%
  1. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

The italics meant that he was referring to Star Trek, the film, not Star Trek the franchise.

2. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Go back and read what I wrote more carefully.

Quote moi:

I wasn't giving an opinion of a movie I haven't seen, which, as you say, would be worthless. I was giving an opinion of trailers I'd seen ad nauseum going to other movies and the decision I made based on them, which as you also said, I had every right to do.

By the way, an opinion of a movie that one hasn't seen may be worthless, but negatively commenting on an opinion that wasn't actually offered is kinda stupid.

3. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

Considering you decided to use a negative quote about the film as your signature, you can't possibly think you can get away with saying you haven't given an opinion about the film.

4. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Sure I can. I'm using the quote cause it's funny. It's Warped9's opinion...

5. Orac

Orac Fleet Admiral Admiral

Breaking news! Warped9 hates Star Trek (2009).

6. sidious618

You made your dislike of the film obvious. Don't try and act like you didn't.

7. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

Ha! It's a bit strange to compare two films released this year with one from 4 years ago.

8. sidious618

It would've made more sense to do The Hobbit.

9. Balrog

Balrog Commodore Commodore

^By itself, that sentence sounds like a dirty innuendo. :)

I haven't seen Prometheus. I haven't had time yet.

I just caught TDKR. Good film. Not my favorite of the trilogy.

Star Trek knocked it out of the park for me. It's a great start to (hopefully) a successful trilogy.

I think a better comparison would have been Star Trek 2009 vs. Batman Begins. Both are origin stories of a sort.

10. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

The common element is that all three films fostered intense debate.

11. nightwind1

nightwind1 Commodore Commodore

If he's never seen the movie, not only is his opinion lacking in interest, it's lacking in EVERYTHING.

One can't comment on something- good or bad- one has not actually experienced.

12. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Haven't seen Prometheus, thought Dark Knight Rises was pretty decent, and really enjoyed ST'09, so my vote goes to Trek

13. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

I voted for Star Trek over TDKR (which was great too) and Prometheus, but I'm totally surprised that it's winning so overwhelmingly on a Star Trek site. What are the odds?

Granted, I haven't actually seen ST09 yet (it's only been out four years and is still being randomly compared to 2012 movies after all, almost as if singling out ST09 for complaint was secretly the whole point of the thread or something), but the trailers looked fantastic, so I think that's enough to give my recommendation, especially over that dreadful Prometheus. That Star Trek teaser trailer with the JFK voiceover was way better than the supposed biologist trying to pet the vagina cobra in Prometheus.

Also, based on the strength of the two Star Trek Into Darkness trailers I've seen and the prologue, I am also going to have to rate that higher than Prometheus. Strangely, no one seemed to get lost on the alien planet despite not even having laser mapping robots and cyberpunk geologists.

14. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

You make me so want to watch Prometheus, despite the "stupidtastic" single word text I got from Bob the Skutter when he went to see it.

15. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Bob is very perceptive. It's a Ridley film visual-wise but with a bad script.

16. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Oh, you absolutely should see it. Just like you should watch a drunken Lindsay Lohan play Grand Theft Auto. It's a disaster, but it's also mesmerizing to behold.

It's very entertaining to watch, usually for all the wrong reasons. I promise you won't be like a scientist who has spent most of his adult life searching for proof of godlike human space friends and then gets bored by it because he didn't get everything he wanted fulfilled after spending about five minutes exploring an ancient temple on an alien planet. You know, quaint stuff like that.

17. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My ISP hasn't upgraded the fiberoptics to carry thought waves yet, so I can't argue the secret intentions. But all three movies are instalments by very high profile directors in longtime franchises. As such, it's an interesting game to play. Although as noted above adding The Hobbit would have been even better.

18. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You're right. Therefore all STID discussion across the board should cease immediately.

19. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Interesting choice of movies, all somewhat popular, all imperfect, but all have some similarities...for starters, they are all from well known established universes, though STO9 was a first movie reboot. All are nominally sci fi (yes even DKR). All are blockbusters (yes even Prometheus).

My picks in order:

1. STO9: Whether it's like TOS is the least of my interests here, however, if you ask this question you may get 10 different answers from 10 different people. In general, its almost shocking how WELL they adhere to the original characters, Pine is sometimes uncanny as Kirk without slipping into caricature, which would have been exceedingly easy to do. They also got the adventure right. As for the more important stuff, does it work as as sci fi movie? Drama? Is the action good for an action-adventure? Yes, in my opinion ST09 is actually better than any of the SW movies (which it sometimes is compared to), especially the prequels which it trounces on every level in my opinion. Dramatically, it takes characters with little background and immediately draws them very sharply, it is literally designed to show us character growth through the likely JJ Abrams trilogy of movies. I find this refreshing for ST movies! Well there is reason this movie won awards for its WRITING, not just from sci fi circles but also from the mainstream, in fact, the awards were unheard of for ST movies. Add to this the high scores from aggregate sites online, and it's clear ST09 was a huge success. Financially, it made over $500 million from BO and DVD/BD, taking trek firmly out of the niche market. There are few weaknesses here.

2. Prometheus. I really enjoyed this movie...though it IS highly imperfect. I feel it was mostly executed exactly as the writers and producers wanted it to be, though I do not believe in ancient astronauts on Earth, I find the potential reveal of the speculated on origins of the Engineers and their masters along with the connection to the Aliens themselves to be worthy of a sequel that I am eager to see. Far from ruining the previous two good Alien movies, I think Prometheus deepens them. Alien was gothic suspense in space, Aliens was military SF, Prometheus was high concept sci fi, with all the other elements thrown in.

3. DKR. I loved Dark Knight...I could quibble with some issues in it, and it was overly gratuitous in its violence, but the movie was more of an experience rather than just entertainment. One would go into DKR expecting much of the same...well DKR didnt seem to make a lot of sense. Most action movies have some inconsistencies, or failed logic, failed science, but DKR had too many to really make it a great movie. Fans of Nolan will of course probably check this off as the best of these three movies by default, but its easily the most flawed of these 3 films.

One more note, it is now easy to see that Christopher Nolan is the most influential Director-Producer of our time. His choices from music, to plot, etc is widely copied. Despite the flaws, DKR will probably continue his reign.

A word about trailers...I mentioned ST09s third trailer was the best I'd seen, tuned out that trailer won several awards amd is still talked about in regards to effective advertising for films. If you didnt like the 3rd trailer then there is no hope for some of you. :techman:

RAMA

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  20. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

We rarely agree on so many things and yet here we seem to. Yes, the film is imperfect yet it still manages to work for me.

A few days ago I watched TDKR for only the second time since its in theatre. Today or this evening I think I'll get around to rewatching Prometheus. I actually liked TDKR a bit better than when I first saw it (as I mentioned upthread) so I'll see if my opinion of Prometheus changes after a second viewing.

I have seen ST09 twice. The first time was when a coworker lent me a download. The quality (of the download) wasn't great, but it allowed me to see the film. The second time about a year or so later another coworker lent me his dvd copy. The improved viewing and audio quality did nothing to make me like the film any better.