Stardate Generator program?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by F. King Daniel, Jul 11, 2009.

1. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was wondering if there was a good stardate generator (for windows) out there, that converts the inputted date into every known Trek dating system? And lets us reverse-engineer the dates, too?

It shouldn’t be that hard to do.

Here are all the stardate types I can think of right now:

TOS Stardates: Random 4-digit numbers (or the TNG ones minus the first digit) used during TOS, with hundredths of the hour after the decimal point.
    TNG Stardates: 5-digit numbers using the current season of Trek, a complicated “hundredths of a year” system, and hundredths of the hour (often made-up on the spot)
    New Stardates (from the new Star Trek): The year, followed by the day (1-365) after the decimal point. The timeline implodes on leap years. New Kirk was born January 4 2233 (2233.4)
    Fandom Stardates: Where you switched around the digits, so the fourteenth of July 2009 reads as 0907.14. Resets each year.
    FASA Reference Stardates: Similar to the fandom ones: 0/0907.14 would be July 14 2009 (the number before the slash is the second digit of the year, so this works over different centuries, and resets each millennium)

C’mon! Someone with programming skills make us the Ultimate Stardate Generator! And with a nice blue Star Trek XI-themed GUI ;-)

Even though it’s the most gimmicky of gimmicky things and it won’t get much use, I seem to really want one program that does all the different Stardates at once. Anyone else?

2. barnaclelapse

barnaclelapse Commodore Commodore

That would be kind of cool, I guess.

I don't know. I've admittedly never given it much thought.

3. apenpaap

apenpaap Commodore Commodore

No. It's impossible, as the writers usually pull the stardates out of their ass. If we assume the TNG and TOS systems are the same system, though, it would seem to be a logarimthmic function, approximatly increasing by a factor 10 every century. That would mean ENT would take place around stardate 350, and we would now be somewhere around stardate 10.
    The Trek XI stardates, however, are probably possible (and not even that hard), as these actually make sense.

4. Vulcan Princess

Vulcan Princess Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I found one a while back that does TNG/DS9/VOY style stardates. I use it when I need a stardate for my fanfiction.

http://home.earthlink.net/~alpha-quadrant/stardate.html

[Edit: After re-reading the OP, I realized that this is non-responsive to the request. I'm leaving it here because it might be useful to someone anyway.]

5. apenpaap

apenpaap Commodore Commodore

^Interesting. Now it's -314525.68 according to that thngie, which is a bit under -100000pi.

6. soot

soot Lieutenant Red Shirt

When I was very young, I made a stardate program based on this system:
    http://starchive.cs.umanitoba.ca/?stardates/part1
    I'm not entirely satisfied by it, but it's an admirable job of making sense of the random numbers we see on screen.
    Of course, the program itself is long since deleted.