Build Your Own Publishing Schedule- 2014 Edition

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by ryan123450, Apr 22, 2013.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

As my schedule shows, I would love to see them go back to trades and regular e-books. It's a great way to get throw in some extra stories here and there throughout the year.

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Can we just have the four Abramsverse novels and some 24th century books set during the various TV runs? Please?

3. cdgodin

cdgodin Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

FEB: TOS novel by Greg Cox
    MAR: Rise of the Federation Book 2 by Chris Bennett
    APR: New TOS-era series, #1 by David Mack
    MAY: TOS novel by Dayton Ward
    JUN: New TOS-era series, #2 by David Mack
    JUL: VOY Relaunch #5 by Kirsten Beyer
    AUG: New TOS-era series, #3 by David Mack
    SEP: Aventine book by Dayton Ward
    OCT: Post-Fall DS9 by Una McCormack
    NOV: DS9: The Ascendants, Book #1 by DRGIII
    DEC: DS9: The Ascendants, Book #2 by DRGIII
    JAN: Post-Fall TNG by James Swallow

4. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I think we MAY get the JJverse novels at some point. I don't think there is much interest in novels set during the TV shows - there have been too many and 'everything back in the box at the end' is pretty uninteresting. Occasionally they work well, Hollow Men for instance, but that is very much a filling in the gaps exercise, not a stand alone story.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2013
  5. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Don't hold your breath. It's either a legal issue (Pocket perhaps don't have and for some reason won't aquire the rights to publish original fiction based on the new films) or some personal beef where one party is refusing to deal with the other. Either way, if we were getting those books it would have happened by now.

6. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I think it might be after the new or maybe even the third film. They might need some amendments, or even be redone as TOS novels if suitable...

7. BillJ

Yet the Star Trek: The Original Series books sell the best. :shrug:

8. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Mine, at least, and probably Greg's (since it was about Spock Prime), would have to be profoundly rewritten to work as TOS. I approached it with the specific goal of telling a story that could only work in the Abramsverse, with that version of the characters and history and building on the events of the film -- otherwise what would be the point? I didn't want it to be just a TOS story with a few details changed; that would've been cheating. Maybe I could cannibalize ideas and characters from it, but it would have to be a significantly different story.

9. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

^ Do you know if the comics or game have invalidated anything anyone wrote in the four books?

10. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

^Heh, I was gonna start a thread once the movie's premiered to ask if it had contradicted those novels much in terms of story or characterization. Just out of curiousity.

11. Christopher

I think the Uhura-focus comic conflicted with a couple of flashback scenes I wrote about Spock and Uhura at the Academy, and the YA Academy novels have probably done so as well. But I intentionally wrote those scenes so they could be easily deleted if there were continuity issues.

Otherwise, I don't know enough about the comics, the game, or the other guys' novels to say.

12. rahullak

rahullak Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd like 2014 to have all 24th century stories. I'd also like one set in the 25th century detailing the end of Section 31. I know that is less likely at this point, but one can hope. :)

13. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

How about paper versions of the "Slings And Arrows" series, along with finishing the SCE, and printing the couple of e-novella's that have been released in the past few year's.

14. BillJ

Why would Pocket ignore the 23rd Century (TOS) when it sells the best?

15. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

Well seeing as the title of the thread we are in is "Build your own Publishing schedule" and he used the words "I'd like..." I don't think it was about what Pocket should do but more what he would prefer. :shrug:

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Doesn't Pocket/S&S publish the Academy books?
    The impression I've gotten was that Bad Robot didn't want anything set between the movies that they weren't personally involved with. This isn't from any kind of specific statement, but it was the impression that I've gotten from what's been released, and a few comments here and there. Pretty much everything that's been released set after the movie has been made with Orci's involvement.

17. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

Exactly, but maybe, the title was too subtle.

Anyway, because this is my schedule, this is what I would commission.

Due to the fact I didn't like Forgotten History and in my opinion, he hasn't wrote a decent novel since The Buried Age, I'm not letting Christopher anywhere near the schedule, so that means no Rise of the Federation sequel nor anymore DtI novels. Nor would I commission anything from Michael A, Martin and Andy Mangels. Well that's what I won't do, here's what I will do:

January: A follow up to The Fall by KRAD.

February and March: A TOS duology by David Mack.

April: Some time travel shenanigans with the Ent A crew by Greg Cox.

May: A post TMP, pre TWoK story by Dayton Ward focusing on hostilities between the UFP, Klingon Empire and Romulans.

June: A Lost Era story by William Leisner.

July: Voyager operation Full Circle book five by Kirsten Beyer

August and September: A DS9 duology by David George III

October: A Titan novel by James Swallow.

November, December and January 2015: An epic trilogy in the same vain as Destiny and Cold Equations by David Mack.

18. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

^ Are you out of your mind? You'd have me try to write five Star Trek novels in one year? Are you trying to kill me? Thank heavens this is all just "fantasy Trek-ball." :)

19. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Well, I'd READ five !

I'd get writing if I was you ;)

20. Christopher

A different imprint of Pocket, but yes, it's still S&S.

Bad Robot's control over the Abramsverse tie-ins applies universally, whether it's before or after the '09 movie. Just because Orci's name isn't on the YA novels doesn't mean Bad Robot isn't approving and overseeing them. (Orci doesn't even work for Bad Robot, at least not anymore. He and Kurtzman have graduated to having their own production company, K/O Paper Products, that's a production partner on Into Darkness.) Bad Robot's approach is for all the tie-ins to their continuity to be closely controlled and coordinated. And for whatever reason, they haven't chosen to include adult novels in their tie-in strategy. It doesn't matter whether they're set before or after the movie. If it were as simple as that, we could've done prequel novels just like the YA imprint did.