Virtual Tour : USS Enterprise (1701-D) Deck 1-4 (WIP)

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Lee Enfield, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Lee Enfield

Lee Enfield Lieutenant Red Shirt

@Albertese
    Yes, I will model the exterior hull for the reasons you gave.

@The Librarian
    ^^ And I agree with you! The steps in the pictures are wrong. No doubt.
    My latest iteration has better steps in a different configuration. I plan to post images soon. Currently, the upper bridge module consumes most of my time. It will be a total new design, since neither of the available blueprints fills the area plausible (I include what Whitefire had in mind for the upper bridge module deck, but it will be on the lower bridge module deck).

2. lewisniven

lewisniven Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Any updates on this? I'm pretty excited for this one, love how its looking so far.

3. Lee Enfield

Not that much of an update...

But that's the area I'm currently working at. There will be a restaurant, where they cook real food. The connection between the bridge and the conference lounge still needs some work, but is almost finished. The corridor leading to deck 2 and the restaurant occupies most of my time now. I plan to release a bunch of pictures of this process when i think I nailed the design to an acceptable degree(plus making the rough models).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

P.S.
    Sorry for not posting that much. But it means I'm working on this project.

4. fenderf4i

fenderf4i Cadet Newbie

I've been wanting something like this for a very long time. It would be amazing to walk through with an Occulus Rift headset. Please keep us updated!!!

5. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

Ya know, everyone in the XI forum have been thinking about how the decks of the New E fit and what all is in them, you'd be amazing for that job! :)

6. lewisniven

Please tell me this isn't dead...

7. Lee Enfield

This isn't dead. ^^

I am indeed working on it continuously. But there are other things to do, besides designing the visuals. Therefore it takes the visual content a little longer to be in a presentable stage. Stay tuned.

8. lewisniven

I am so tuned ;)

9. satanclauss

satanclauss Cadet Newbie

Re: Virtual Tour : USS Enterprise (1701-D) Deck 1-4 (WIP)q

I am dying to see more! I get that you only want to release stuff when u have it ready but don't u have just 1 small tidbit u can share? So far this looks incredible!

10. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

It's cool to see this project. I don't know why I didn't look for something like it sooner, but I myself was going to try modeling just the visible sets of Deck 1 (Bridge, Ready Room, Conference Lounge, Turbolifts). Mostly just because people so often do exteriors, which I think is fairly simple or almost done too much. I wanted to see some interiors modeled, and was surprised that not much was available on the internet. Sure, there are models like those at Turbosquid, but even those have errors in the details. And most of all I don't like their textures and lighting. I wanted to see if I could not only build the bridge, but light and texture it accurately. This is a daunting task for a lot of the reasons you've listed.

I became very frustrated on how to build the bridge because of all of its organic shapes. The blueprints I'd seen were inconsistent, and none of them were fully accurate with what was seen on the show. I'd try to line up views in 3d, but it seldom wouldn't work. But then I realized why it wouldn't work, and that's because of the way video was cropped then. I realized this when watching part of one of the features on the TNG Blu Ray, part of which can be seen here. They demonstrate how the film was cropped. After looking through more examples of raw footage, I found that a lot of the cropped shots weren't centered horizontally or vertically, and that they weren't always consistent. This made it really hard to line up images not knowing the crop. A lot of times you can tell vertically where it should sit, but horizontal is a lot tougher, especially with all the round shapes. For this reason, I'd love to see some side by side comparisons of your 3d with images from the show. That was what I wanted to do: show side by side images and hopefully they would be pretty spot on.

Right now I think I'm a bit humbled by some of your efforts, as well as having difficulty with inconsistent references. This image I thought was helpful in seeing how the ramp and the lip of the round section of the horseshoe work together, but I'll be damned if I could actually line a camera up to this shot. I almost feel that they must have removed one of the science station walls or something to get this kind of shot.

11. Lee Enfield

Not much time right now, like always. But you're right, guys. So, some tidbits. (You have to click on the image and then on a magnifier symbol two times to get better quality, sorry)

[​IMG]

@Ryan8bit
    Yes, I feel the pain. Good picture, btw. I'm probably going to redo that section on the floor.

12. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

13. lewisniven

Bump, I need this.

14. Rambo

Rambo Cadet Newbie

WOW! You sir are making my dreams come true!

This goes beyond amazing. I really have no words to describe how epic and outstanding this is!

I love what you are doing with the unseen sections, I can only imagine what they would have looked like on TV. It's interesting to see them and I can actually imagine scenes with the characters in those sections. I wonder if the show was made now would we get to see all those spaces.

Please keep up this outstanding work...I can not tell you how badly I want to see this finished :hugegrin:

15. satanclauss

satanclauss Cadet Newbie

I think its almost time for another update. :drool: Maybe if I ask nicely? I just think this is such an amazing project please keep going on it. I am not saying to rush or anything I just love seeing the progress and would love to see more.