Spawn Movie could shoot next year says Todd McFarlane

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=108206

After that last horrible Spawn movie, I think anything could be better. Good to see that they are going for more of a horror movie.

2. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

McFarlane has been yakking about making another Spawn movie since the last Spawn movie. Nothing ever comes of it.

3. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Hasn't he also been yanking about another animated series for like 8 years now? Honestly though, I think Spawn's moment has passed. That's what happens when you're more concerned with making toys than anything else.

4. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And that's literally all it was, a moment.

5. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Edgar Wright has been going on about his Ant-Man movie for 8 years now since 2005.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2005/09/07/exclusive-who-might-direct-ant-man

http://www.superherohype.com/features/articles/91587-exclusive-edgar-wright-talks-ant-man

The release date wasn't announced until recently. That's ten years from when he signed on to release date. What's the difference?

But... but we got two Kick-ass movies! Obviously you don't need to be A list comic property to get a movie! :lol:

6. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

have sales of spawn toys dried up so he's pushing the movie angle again?

7. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

What is the readership of Spawn today versus in 1997? Does anyone here still read it?

8. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Is the comic even still running? I admit my knowledge of the IP is mostly limited to the movie and animated series, but I got the impression that is was the kind of story that had a logical beginning middle and end. If it's still running after all this time they much have jumped the shark long ago and probably mashed the reset button a few times too.

It's not about popularity so much as relevance. Spawn IMO was at the nadir of a trend in 90's superhero comics (that began with Miller's TDKR) towards ever more darker and exploitative content, mostly just for shock value. I say exploitative, not "adult" or even "mature" because those labels have a habit of being applied to things that are anything but...but I digress. I get the impression comic readers (what few are left) have grown increasingly disinterested in that type of product and I can't see even a new movie re-igniting much interest.

'Kick Ass' was the exception and worked mostly because it chose *not* to be faithful to the tone of the source material and instead take it in a new direction.

9. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Surprisingly enough, Spawn has been publishing all this time :eek: I think I stopped reading back around #75. It was so boring. He never did anything.

10. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

According to Comichron Spawn seems to sell just over 16,000 copies per issue based on the sales figures from May and June of this year.

11. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Is that good?

12. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Oy. Spawn. THAT brings back memories I thought I had managed to forget.

13. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

eeeeh. if it were a Marvel or DC book it would have got canceled with numbers like that. its fairly decent for a non mainstream book.

14. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I was going to say, 16,000 copies sounds like pretty weak tea. Certainly strikes me as too weak to warrant another movie. IF they do one I wonder if it'll be a reboot or sequel? (I assume the former.) Eitherway, not interested I never got the "excitement" or support behind Spawn.

But that.. that... movie. :shudder: John Leguizamo. Oy.

15. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Hey, Leguizamo was the best thing in that movie! Even Sheen (I'd forgotten he was even in it till just now) was phoning it in. Don't get me wrong, the guy was irritating, but at least he committed to the role and you have to respect what they put him through with that fat suit and heavy make-up.

I don't even remember who played Spawn, Wanda or....umm....what, was Twitch and 'Totally-Not-Harvey-Bullock' even in the film? I'm drawing a blank.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013