Star Trek: Online

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by tranya, Nov 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Commodore_Rook

Commodore_Rook Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Well, not to get in the eternal argument of "if the US Navy of TODAY (circa 2011) does not have Commodores, then why would a FICTIONAL Starfleet set in 2409 have them?"

Basing rank off Starfleet should have NO bearing on what our Navy currently has. Besides, Commodore was used thru-out ENT and TOS. Who is to say they didn't reactivate the rank/title during the time of war. If anything, it would make MORE sense to re-issue that rank/title in 2409 due to the constant war going on. RA's simply do not command starships and go on scan 5 things missions, it is just too below them. (Not saying Commodores should do them either, but at least it has been shown Commodores still command starships.)

If anything, allow us to play our First Officer when you reach RA and above.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
  2. syberghost

syberghost Commander Red Shirt

STO official forums community moderator emeritus
    It's been shown they did pre-TNG, anyway. Post-TNG, the only time it's been mentioned was to confirm it's no longer used. Of course, there's also the tradition of "courtesy promotion" whenever you're referring to a visiting Captain; since there can only be one Captain on a ship, it's often been the custom to refer to visitors as Commodore, because calling them Captain would be confusing, and calling them Commander insulting.

That's in the works. Not only are they working on something to let us promote our First Officers into playable characters, but they're also planning on something to allow us to command fleets. There's something in the works for Department Chairs too, with them mattering in the operation of your ship.

3. Commodore_Rook

Oh very cool!! I have been saying, this game is really going to be something, give it a few more years! :)

And I am just saying, they kinda shot themselves in the foot by NOT including LT jg, Fleet Captain, & Commodore. They could have had three whole ranks (with 10 levels each, for a total of 30!) and extend the game and not have everyone make FA in a month! Oh well, too late now. The best we can hope for is the title (either won in a mission or bought off C-store) Commodore. After all, we do have TOS and ENT uniforms!

4. syberghost

The rapid leveling is more due to lack of content; they could have had the same ranks or even fewer ranks, the problem with leveling is that they launched with 90-150 hours of content. Now they're kinda stuck, don't have the resources to do a ton of content for the lower ranks to extend that leveling curve, all energy has to be focused on the higher ranks where most of the users are. As they find new things for people to do cross-rank that are interesting, they can start extending the lower ranks, but for now it's going to continue to be true for some time that leveling doesn't take as long as it should.

5. Commodore_Rook

Yes, that is true. Personally, I have found the pacing to be perfect. It is the one year anniversery next month and I am STILL Only a Captain 6. I had no desire to whip thru the game and make FA that quick. (I still find it hard to believe people are able to do it in less than 3 weeks!?! It took me that long to go from Commander to Captain! lol)

6. syberghost

It's all about how you play; it took me three years to get my City of Heroes main up to 50, during that time I saw many people do it in less than a month. :)

7. Bishop76

Bishop76 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You can do it in 3 days - just keep taking defense missions and running into level appropriate enemy contacts and just keep pounding. It's not fun, but it's a super easy game to grind through.

8. Bird of Prey

Bird of Prey Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I just decided to start over while waiting for new content. My first character was a human engineer. This new one is an alien tactical officer - so I'm going to go with all tactical ships and apply what I know now to the earlier levels.

9. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

10. Kaziarl

Kaziarl Commodore Commodore

Well sure, if thats how you want to do it. But why would you? The fastest I've leveled a character was one month because I was taking my time and enjoying the game. For me it helps that I'm a fairly quick reader, and I learned early on how some of the abilities worked with each other. But thats not the point. I didn't want to top it out in 3 days because I wanted to enjoy the game, and I did.

Now my second one just reached RA:L, and my 3rd is going slower then that. I'm not in a hurry to reach endgame, so why rush it?

I've been told that you can max our your level on WoW in a month, maybe 2. But again, why? There's plenty to do if you pace yourself. If you shoot way high in level, all that lower level stuff becomes boring and pointless.

11. Commodore_Rook

I don't think I have ever maxed out a character in ANY game yet! Maybe it is just my playing style and grinding to the end as fast as you can just is not my thing. I want to pace myself, grow on a constant speed, and enjoy playing!!

12. Kaziarl

Kaziarl Commodore Commodore

the month it took me to get my character to the top level was the month i was recovering from surgery, so I literally had nothing better to do at the time. The cap at the time was also RA5, not VA1

13. Commodore_Rook

14. Bishop76

Bishop76 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You can probably max out on WoW in a week of very dedicated playing now. Most games are speeding up the grind to get you to the endgame content and that's the reason a lot of people burn through levels (I didn't do that in STO either, just said it was possible). The reason not to do that in STO though is a very good one - the endgame content is very thin.

15. Bird of Prey

Bird of Prey Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Not necessarily...
    It says it happens on an abandoned space station belonging to the Romulans, but it could be another species that has caused the power surge. Tholians could still be the main villains here.

16. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Or it could feature both? The Devidian series also featured the Cardassians as secondary villains. More so on the daily missions.

17. Aeolusdallas

Aeolusdallas Captain Captain

It could but I didn't think the Tholians were ready for debut yet. I know they were still in concept art stage in November.
    EDIT and those all those legs are going to take some work to animate.

18. Rat Boy

Rat Boy Vice Admiral Admiral

Not necessarily; they may not be in any of the ground sections.

19. Igard

Igard Lieutenant Red Shirt

They may be in the ground sections. They'd have to wear protective suits though. I don't know if they could do that from a design point of view. Might look a bit weird.

20. Captain_Amasov

Captain_Amasov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Incidently the "Vault" mentioned in the title of episode one has been confirmed by one of the dev's as the same "vault" that appeared in the "Star Trek: Countdown" comic. The same place that the Narada was outfitted with Borg technology.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.