USS Grandeur - One... More... Time!

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Vektor, Mar 21, 2006.

1. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Of course you know we're going to need a high-res version of that. ;)

2. JES

JES Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't know if I have already commented on this ship or not. But if not, it is about time I did. The Avalon II is a beautiful vessel. She is very graceful, and the inclusion of a neck-but-not-quite-a-neck works extremely well, just like with Arrogant, Frontier, and Venture classes. Which I think isn't very easy to pull off. The nacelles are also very creative, and very graceful, just like the rest of the ship.

I also love how you added all those details with her being able to separate her hull. And to think that you don't want to do the same with the Magellanic class. I would personally prefer if you added that same type of in depth design details to your Enterprise F, in the same way that I wouldn't have the Grandeur without her ability to hull separate.

And I agree with Kaiser; it is about d@mn time that there be a Trek animated series. I mean, Lucas Arts was pretty smart coming up with Star Wars: The Clone Wars. CBS should follow suite, and do some serious marketing, otherwise, if things keep up they way they have been, Star Wars will constantly have more popularity than Star Trek. I mean, when I visit the book store, there are a lot of Star Wars reference books. Star Trek? One, maybe two. So CBS better get cracking, or else...

3. Professor Moriarty

Professor Moriarty Rice Admiral Premium Member

I know you must get tired of hearing this, but the Grandeur is simply one of (if not the) best non-canon Trek starships, ever.

4. DFScott

DFScott Captain Captain

I said this before in another thread, but I'll repeat it here: In another, fairer world, this ship would be the Enterprise-F. But you've already designed it for someone else, so it's only fair it should belong to the party it was intended for.

I have not said this before, so I'll say it here for the first time: In yet another world, this ship should have been the Enterprise-D. I believe it more as a design lineage deriving three steps up from the Ent. A (assuming the Excelsior wasn't chosen as Ent. B). It's more mature, more graceful, and more believable.

And as a ship that's obviously well-armed, at the same time, it's not a warship. It's less like a Bradley tank or an aircraft carrier in terms of making the case, "Don't mess with me," and more like Diana Rigg as Emma Peel with a silencer. Hell no, I ain't messin' with her.

Grandeur is graceful, balanced, refined, majestic, potent, and tasteful. Nothing is pretentious. If your aim is to go from one point in the galaxy to another in style and class, this is your vehicle, baby. And yes, Vektor, this is indeed your very best work to date.

DF "Beware the Ides of March Reference" Scott

5. Adagio

Adagio Captain Captain

Holy carp! The ship looks great!

6. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Dammit Man! You got my hopes up that there was an update!

7. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I had the same reaction! So disappointing.

8. Vektor

Vektor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Don't worry, gang. The Grandeur is going to back on the front burner as soon as Polaris is finished, which is hopefully within another two or three weeks.

Stay tuned.

9. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Finished, huh? I didn't know you were capable of actually finishing a project. :p

10. AstroSmurf

AstroSmurf Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Hey now.Sometimes you can't rush perfection.

11. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

As the saying goes, art is never finished, just abandoned.

12. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I just wanna know if the Grandeur will ever be complete.

13. largo

largo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

it's about due for its first refit anyway. :)

14. Vektor

The plan is to finish the Polaris as quickly as possible and then move on to do the same with Grandeur. I've told Darren (the Commander) that I'm shooting for completion by the end of June, but there were some delays on a few key features of the Polaris that may have set that back a little bit.

I'm trying to work on improving the speed at which I complete these projects, which is absolutely necessary if I am ever going to make a career out of it. Unfortunately, I already have a career that only leaves me about two to four hours out of any given day to accomplish everything else, which means very little gets done on 3d modeling or digital art during the week. It sucks but that's the way it is.

Believe me, nobody wants to see Grandeur finished more than I do. I'm proud of what I've done on it but I never intended to make a lifetime project out of it. It's time for it to be finished so I can move on. :techman:

15. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sorry, but no. It's been mandated that you spend the next 20 years on the Grandeur. Orders from the top, I'm afraid.

16. largo

largo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

wip = "work in perpetuity"

17. BK613

BK613 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"When will you make an end?" - Rex Harrison as the Pontiff, The Agony and the Ecstasy
    :)

18. CaptainRoop

CaptainRoop Lieutenant Red Shirt

I know it seems like the project has all but died not seeing much going on in recent weeks, but I wanted to get a post out letting you all know it is still going strong, just at the moment, in other areas and things.

I have been talking with Vektor here and there and of course as some of you know he has been working his other main project the Polaris, of which I say is coming along nicely :cool:

While not on TrekBBS but more on Scifi Meshes we have other Grandeur related project stuff going on: Bridge and other rooms thread, The USS Blackfoot which is Grandeur's Main support/assault ship and other project things happening.

There is a slight chance that something will be posted by Vektor possibly by this weekend if not before, but if it does not happen, just know he is still working on it behind the scenes and will be back in somewhat full swing after the Polaris thread is totally wrapped up.

The project is still very much alive and Grandeur herself will get completed. I guess for those of you that really want to see this ship get done, it does test our patience, so be strong, it will happen.

19. Vektor

Well, I had hoped to post some new progress on the Grandeur model over the weekend but my 3ds Max rig is being balky and uncooperative, possibly due to the fact that I only have about 2 gigs of hard drive space left. Obviously, I need to do some house cleaning, and I'm probably not going to do much with Max until I do.

In the mean time, I'm giving the Grandeur a similar treatment to the work I've been doing on Polaris recently, rendering out some views and doing paintovers to refine the detailing. Here's what I have for starters:

[​IMG]

I'm not abandoning the fully rendered illustration I started earlier, but this technique allows me to cover more ground more quickly by focusing on what has NOT been done yet instead of redrawing everything that has been.

By the way, in case anyone is wondering, that thing below the hangar deck control room windows is a tractor beam emitter. ;)

20. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

shes so pretty I hope someday to have a RL model of it in my hands to play woosh! with :)