Star Trek: Starships Model/Magazine Subscription

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by trekker670, May 21, 2013.

1. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

22nd century version from Enterprise, the "blue" one, TOS-R has "orange" ones.

2. Kevman7987

Kevman7987 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Weren't they the same design except for color anyway?

3. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

The Enterprise version was considerably more elaborate than the TOS version:

TOS Version
    Enterprise Version

That being said, I'm glad they're making the Enterprise variant for this. Much cooler to look at.

4. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

The ones in Enterprise had more weathered metal and mostly blue glowing grills, with small yellow engines.

For Tholian Web remastered, the ships had different shapes and larger orange warp engines meant to look more advanced than the 22nd century ships.

5. t_smitts

t_smitts Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That's a pity. I do wish the BoP was in a fixed wing configuration, since that's what we saw on DS9 most of the time.

True, but I'm still hoping they'll get around to some of the ones on this much longer list:

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_The_Official_Starships_Collection

BTW, it's curious that it doesn't say what the name of that Nebula-class miniature will be. I assume it'll probably be one of the ones with the more familiar triangular-shaped pod, so that probably rules out the Phoenix. Considering they may do the prototype Prometheus at some point, that probably rules out the Nebula-class ship with the same name. That leaves only the Sutherland as a ship that played any significant role in an episode's plot, or the Farragut, which gave us an impressive flyby at the end of Generations (before being unceremoniously destroyed off-screen in a DS9 episode). Considering Galoob went with the latter, I wouldn't be surprised if they do as well.

I assume the Akira will be the USS Thunderchild, the only Akira that actually got a name.

In the case of the 60's model, that's true, though the remastered version is MUCH more detailed:

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/File:Tholian_ship,_TOS_remastered.jpg

6. 137th Gebirg

Oh, yeah! Forgot about that one.

Man, I really wish DrexFiles was still around to show off some of these newer designs they used in the remastering process. Such a loss... :(

7. Trek Survivor

Trek Survivor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Eaglemoss have just released their "Doctor Who Figurine Collection"m saw it in WH Smith today. These are like Eaglemoss' old Marvel and DC figurine collections - extremely high quality, accompanying mag etc.

I'm not really a Dr Who fan, but it made me wish they'd done this for Trek first before the ship collection. I know I'm in the minority, but I'm more a "characters" person than a "tech/starship" person.

Hopefully, if the Trek ships collection does well, and the Who line does too, Trek figurines are next!

I remember reading an interview with the Eaglemoss CEO a couple of years back and he was asked what franchises he'd love to tackle. Trek and Who were top of his list due to the diversity of all the characters! So he's getting his wish at least...

8. 137th Gebirg

I would love to see an Eaglemoss treatment like this for Battlestar Galactica ships, but I won't hold my breath. Property isn't in the public consciousness right now.

Markonian likes this.
  9. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

... and I'd like Eaglemoss to do a B5 ships collection. Just like BSG, it's never going to happen, of course. A general Sci-Fi ships themed collection would require obtaining the consent of too many copyright holders who'd likely impose ridiculous conditions.

10. Johnny Rico

Johnny Rico Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just a note...that #27 Romulan Bird of Prey is the 22nd Century "Enterprise" version, as in a phone camera shot by one of the Eaglemoss employees, shows a bunch of models on a cabinet top and one of the included models is the ENT Romulan BoP. It's unpainted, but it's there. So I assume it's in this Top 30 list so afar.

11. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

They are producing both. As to which one is on the top 30 isn't stated, and there are photos of production prototypes for a lot of the models so far.

12. Nine of Four

Nine of Four Commander Red Shirt

This looks amazing!!

13. t_smitts

I may have mentioned this before, but I was always kind of iffy about the 22nd Century BoP. It had the basic shape of the 23rd Century BoP, with the color and texture of the 24th Century Warbird, which would've made it a perfect intermediate step between the two, if we saw it the late 23rd or early 24th Century. The problem is it was set in the 22nd Century. I always thought it should look more like the cigar shaped Romulan ship we saw in the pages of the Chronology.

14. Nine of Four

Tholian ships are AMAZING!!:bolian::bolian:

15. jpv2000

jpv2000 Captain Captain

I'm the same way. I only have a few of the Diamond Select ships, but a ton of the figures. :techman:

That would make me a very happy Trekkie. :)

16. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I wasn't going to bother with this collection, but I finally broke and pre-ordered a bunch. And I kind of feel happier for doing it. I'm really looking forward to having something cool arriving periodically. :)

17. Johnny Rico

While I understand your point, I think you have to look at the ship designs in ENT compared to TOS as to what Braga and a couple other production crew members said on the S2 BD where they said that TOS was made in a time (the 1960s) for a time (the 1960s) that no longer exists. And that goes for the story lines and I assume the ship and technology designs as well.

For instance, the technology in TOS was very 1960s obviously, right? So for ENT to be a prequel to that and a 100 years before that even, the tech would have to be extremely primitive. And judging on the technology that WE currently have, (tablet computers are now more advanced that the datapads in TNG, for example), it would look silly to make a TV show set 150 years from now that uses tech that is 1800s-ish.

So for the ENT 22nd Century ship designs for all factions is where TOS should have been had it been made in the CGI-era. TOS ship designs, let's face it, were pretty much "tubular" designs. Very simple geometric shapes. Quite frankly, I'm surprised that the TOS-Remastered project didn't update all their ship designs, including the 1701 herself. In other words give all designs something between ENT and The Movie-era, as that project occurred after ENT aired. I know altering those designs would piss off the TOS purists, but it would solve the problem you stated. Hell, if nothing else, give a triple choice on the BDs as to what effects to watch. The original effects, CG updates to the originals, or revamped CG designs. For example give the 1701 kind of a Phase II look. The Romulan BoP something in between the ENT Bop and the TNG Warbird. For the Klingon D-7, create a D-6 model for TOS.

18. Nine of Four

This is the same problem with the new movies. We use technology available to us at the time to make the best sci-fi movie we can, even if that movie is based in a franchise with worse technology in it's future.

No one does this more than Lucas..... :p

19. t_smitts

Not necessarily. I didn't have any trouble believing the Klingon ships we saw on "Enterprise" were less advanced than the BoP's and cruisers we saw in the 23rd and 24th Centuries. Even the NX class, if you look closely enough, the metallic plating looks a bit more primitive than the starships of later centuries.

I think it would've been doable to create something that looked like it preceded the BoP.

20. Johnny Rico

Oh, OK...I see what you mean. You just had trouble with the 22nd C version of the Romulan BoP. I can understand that. But I think the problem lies more with the TOS BoP more than anything. Because if you look closely at that one, it wasn't much different than a Federation ship with inverted warp nacelles, and a painted bird on the hull. I see what you're saying, but again, TOS was a victim of its own time. I mean, Hell, the original pilot, "The Cage" was filmed in B&W...that's how old it is. The whole series was shot on a shoestring budget , and their model making suffered because of it., not to mention the over-all thought process of what spaceship looked like back then with all the cheesy sci-fi then. TOS came about about a decade too early. Had it been a late '70s production and not a late '60s production, things would have been quite different. And when you look at the Galaxy Class of TNG, I'm surprised they came up with such a radical design in the mid-80s in the middle of the Kirk-era Movies. Coming off of STIII and IV, with the intro of the NX-2000, I would have thought the next logical step would have been something like the Ambassador Class.