Star Trek: The Animated Series

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by DoctorZ, Aug 23, 2013.

1. DoctorZ

DoctorZ Ensign Red Shirt

Just out of curiosity, how come this forum doesn't have a dedicated sub-forum to Star Trek The Animated Series?

2. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

It's been asked a number of times. It would be a very dead forum for the most part, as it's not broadly watched, and it also fits pretty neatly under the umbrella of the original series.

3. DoctorZ

DoctorZ Ensign Red Shirt

I've never watched it aside from a couple of episodes as a kid. However, I just bought the entire series on DVD, so I plan on finally getting it watched.

4. Mario de Monti

Mario de Monti Captain Captain

I guess you´re right on both points there.

I only know the Tribbles epsiode (from the TOS blu-ray) and am still hesitant to purchase the DVD set. But as a (quasi) continuation of TOS I probably won´t get around it forever ;)

5. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I don't feel it has the re-watchability of the live-action episodes. There are some genuinely good stories in TAS, and some interesting ideas and elements, but it just doesn't have the depth and layers of the live-action episodes. I think the limited animation also hurts the series in some measure.

6. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Pretty much agree with everything in this post. Fun to watch, but not something I revisit very often.

7. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

IMO, TAS is just an extension of sorts to TOS and doesn't need a seperate area.

8. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

Agree.:vulcan: TAS is basically the final years of TOS five year mission that was cut short by the NBC cancellation.:klingon:

9. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

They really did seem to try and present good stories, but with perhaps 22 minutes to work with, there wasn't a lot they could do for characterization.

10. Indysolo

Indysolo Commodore Commodore

They're in HD on Netflix, if you subscribe.

11. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Depends on the character. I daresay Uhura was given more to do in TAS than she was in TOS. Sulu also got to be pretty prominent.

12. YJAGG

YJAGG Captain Captain

I have been watching it on Netflix - still really good story wise- I heard someone wanted to redo the animation using cgi

13. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Ugh! I'd rather see good quality 2D animation than faux puppets running around.

14. CaptPapa

CaptPapa Commander Red Shirt

I've always enjoyed it and I hope you will too.

Happy watching!

15. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Agreed, Christopher. By necessity they had to have a greater focus on the narrative of the episodes because they had much less screen time to tell their stories than they did in TOS, but I do think there are some sections of fandom which tend to downplay just how well TAS serviced the main characters, particularly the ones outside the 'big three'. It did a great deal more with the characters than some would have us believe. :)

16. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

I don't think there would be enough interest to justify a TAS only board. I think a lot less people have seen them than the other series. I don't think they've been seen here at the End of the Universe on TV much past there original run decades ago. TOS has been barely seen here in the past decade.
    I bought the boxset for $88 and I think they're now $20. My child likes them and at $20 for 20 odd TOS/TAS stories thats pretty good value for money. Cheaper than buying the novelisations.

17. jpv2000

jpv2000 Captain Captain

Same here. I have the boxed set and still watch them all every year or so.

18. BoredShipCapt'n

BoredShipCapt'n Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, I just rewatched "The Slaver Weapon" last night and had forgotten that the entire episode was done with only Spock, Sulu, Uhura, and the Kzinti.

19. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Which is because it was a very faithful adaptation of Larry Niven's Known Space novella "The Soft Weapon," whose main characters were Nessus the Pierson's Puppeteer and the human couple Jason and Anne Marie Papandreou.

20. Lucky

Lucky Captain Captain

I recently watched the series for the first time on Netflix and was pretty impressed with it. A lot of the episodes were really entertaining, and I wasn't really put off by the animation at all. Some of the episodes I really loved were "Yesteryear," "The Magicks of Megas-tu," "The Time Trap," "The Slaver Weapon," and "The Counter-Clock Incident."