Someone who enjoyed Star Trek XI

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by G2309, Nov 23, 2010.

1. kkozoriz1

kkozoriz1 Fleet Captain

Good thing he wasn't delayed. Who was in charge while he was off the bridge? Couldn't they give a menial order?

2. Crazy Eddie

Crazy Eddie Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Assuming the bridge crew even cared about the glare. Their eyes should have been on their instruments, not on the viewscreen.

3. kkozoriz1

kkozoriz1 Fleet Captain

Let be shine a bright light in your eyes and we'll see how well you can see your instruments.

4. Expo67

Expo67 Captain

I actually enjoyed the prequel/reboot. Most of all, I liked the fact that the writers went out of their way to explain all of the changes made when the timeline was altered(erased, reshaped, changed, etc.).

If J.J. Abrams and the writers had not thrown in the altered timeline/time travel angle into the mix of the story(i.e. the older version of Spock), then the film would have been a typical Hollywood remake, and would have seriously bombed at the box office(there by ending Star Trek indefinately).

The 2009 prequel/reboot could be best described as TOS version of 'Yesterday's Enterprise', but only better.

Maybe it can't erase memories of ENTERPRISE, but it can certainly erase memories of both DS9 and Voyager.

5. ST-One

ST-One Vice Admiral

It's a movie.
    The 'polarize the view-screen' was there to show us - the audience - that this thing was more than just a large window.
    It's simple, it worked, and it looked nice.

6. -Brett-

-Brett- Vice Admiral Admiral

I think you're seriously overestimating how much the general movie going audience cared about how or if the movie fit into previous continuity.

If that paragraph was sarcasm, then never mind.

7. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

But the light from the viewscreen wasn't IN their eyes. They weren't even looking at it.

The viewscreen is basically for the captain (and us, the viewers :D ). The rest of the crew doesn't really need it.

8. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

But there is a problem with light reflecting off of the console screens. I understand the attempted dramatic effect of the shot, it just didn't come off very well. Unlike the shot of the female crewman being sucked out into space.

9. kkozoriz1

kkozoriz1 Fleet Captain

The helm and nav stations aren't facing the window? Who knew? I'll have to look at the bridge layouts of every Starfleet bridge we've ever seen. I can't believe I missed that.

10. ST-One

ST-One Vice Admiral

So, without the view-screen the ship can't be steered?

The viewer is, has been and always will be eye-candy.

11. kkozoriz1

kkozoriz1 Fleet Captain

If it's not for the use of the helm as well, why do those stations have an unobstructed view of it?

12. ST-One

ST-One Vice Admiral

Because it looks good; great opportunities for wide-shots with the actors in them rather than having to resort to close-ups or second-unit shots of small monitors.

If you think about it, the large viewscreen makes no practical sense.

13. Captain Mike

Captain Mike Commodore Commodore

Oh Hell!! It matters where the "viewscreen" is located ..

Enemy Commander: "TARGET THAT WINDOW ON TOP OF THAT SHIP!!!!"

ENGINEERING: "Bridge, what was that last order?...BRIDGE...please respond?....:rolleyes:

14. kkozoriz1

kkozoriz1 Fleet Captain

Matt Jeffries designed the bridge. It took into account the necessities of filming but he also took into account how the ship worked. They did make a change from the original design for dramatic reasons and that was moving the elevator off to the side. However, the layout of the stations was done for in universe reasons as well.

Unlike the NuBridge where people have lights shining in their faces and a bif honking window that only the captain can polarize.

15. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Actually, most wideshots with the actors in them are facing in the opposite direction, and most viewscreen shots are extra shots without any actors in the frame. Throughout most episodes of all shows. ;)

16. BillJ

I actually like the new bridge. Warmed to it immediately once I actually saw it in action... even the window.

17. Captain Mike

Captain Mike Commodore Commodore

The "window" IMO is a reach to the "new and even "older" fans" to just how it appears in other films and shows. It just seems effin' retarded to have an obviously "weak" spot on a command center of a battleship. And yes this "new" Enterprise is a Battleship since it was made to counter-attack the attack on the Kelvin.

18. BillJ

Unless you sink the bridge down deep into the primary or secondary hull... it has been/always will be an obvious weak spot, window or not. See Star Trek: Nemesis.

The Abramsverse Enterprise is no more (or less) a battlecruiser than the original, which could level the surface of a world with its weapons.

19. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Following is an img of the Enterprise CVN 65

http://www.public.navy.mil/airfor/enterprise/Documents/USSEnterpriseBowShot.jpg

See that row of windows just below the antenna arrays atop the superstructure tower, guess what that area is...

It's the Bridge. Right out there in the open totally venerable to attack, IF you can get close enough, which no one ever has. That is why the 1701 can have a window.

20. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

kkozoriz1, as shown by the quoted consecutive posts above you've been pretty much posting the same thing over and over, with only slight variation. You do this sort of thing quite a lot, in fact. As I expect you're well aware, it verges on spamming, it's more than a little trollish and it's boring besides, and I'll say here that I'd like to see a good deal less of it from you, beginning now.