The Dark Knight Rises Anticipation Station

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JacksonArcher, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm assuming that Bane imprisons him at some point.

2. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Didn't Bane do that in a story?
    I feel he may have or I could just be confusing it with another storyline.

3. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

Look at him.. he looks like he did in Begins, and Nolan loves interweaving flashbacks

You could be right though, maybe Bruce has been in prison for 8 years.. Interesting.

My big gripe, aside from having Dent as a story point at all, was how little I felt from the trailer. Look at trailer #2 of TDK, each line, each image is memorable, and burned into my skull.. there is enough plot given away to have an idea of where it's going, and enough substance to see the tip of the philosophical battles, but when you watch the film you realize it all goes much deeper. By contrast, this story seems pretty thin and straightforward. A must-see for completeness sake, but it's just not as interesting.

4. Admiral_Young

Not that I recall at the moment. He did orchestrate an Arkham breakout though to wear him down mentally and physically in Knightfall.

5. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I've only watched the trailer online. Looked great to me and I had no problem understanding Bane. Voice is slightly muffled, but, - hello - he's talking through a mask which fits over his mouth?

6. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

I rather think the chanting is just the crowd in the football stadium, nothing special.

Like all those awesome Joker lines from the TDK trailer were concentrated in one single piece of monologue in the final movie.

Just wait 3 years and trailer #2 of TDKR will probably be burned into your skull, too, if you like the movie that is.

7. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Commodore Commodore

As someone in the VFX industry, just a little insight into trailer VFX. Usually for VFX shots, there is what is called a temp version of a shot done just for a trailer, and director and producer screenings. The shots get to what is called temp stage, and then then after that, its worked upon until the finished shot is finaled for that film. Usually this temp version has the broad strokes of the shot covered, but a lot of the little details (paint and roto work, so integration issues) still unresolved. Its pretty incredible that you can make a decent looking shot when you're 75% done, but its that last 25% that make a shot go from cooling looking, to real looking, and can take the most amount of time.

That said trailer looks good. Im pumped.

8. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't think that's likely. Just look at all the grey in Christian Bale's hair in that scene. If he was meant to be younger (as in, a flashback scene), Bale would have been made-up to look younger. No, they want him to look older in that scene.

9. JarodRussell

This is the reason why it's a good trailer, imo. It makes you wonder about what the hell is going on.

10. Captaindemotion

I thought it might have been dust. But I'm not convinced it was a flashback scene either.

11. JarodRussell

We see Bane's henchmen roping down that "prison"/staircase hall, so it's probably not a flashback.

12. Allyn Gibson

Though I get excited and all a-quiver every time I watch it, I'm not sure it's a good trailer.

First, the trailer does a poor job communicating story beats. There's an urban terrorist, and he destroys a football stadium. There's fighting in the streets. And there's running through tunnels.

Second, the trailer does an awful job communicating its genre. If I didn't know that The Dark Knight Rises were based on a comic book character, I wouldn't think it was a super-hero movie.

That said, I have the impression that Nolan has captured the OWS zeitgeist in DKR. If so, Nolan was ahead of the curve. :)

13. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Thanks for the clarification and while I understand in broad strokes it's not done and that it doesn't deter me from seeing the movie not everyone gets to hear/read your explanation. Nor knows someone to give it to them.

My question, and maybe I've not been clear, is not for me but for Mr.General Moviegoer whose only exposure is going to be that prologue. Whose next exposure will only be the SuperBowl. They aren't going to follow the chatter at SuperHeroHype, ComicBook Resources, iO9, /Film etc. At most they may see an Entertainment Weekly cover story. If they feel it's hard to understand the bad guy(that they may not recognize or remember) and that the f/x were shaky will that hamper further impressions of the film for them? It could, they may not be as forgiving as the internet and fandom.

14. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Well personally I like not having the story all laid out for me in the trailer. All I need is an idea of the tone and style and a sense of how huge and epic the movie will be-- all of which Nolan gets across perfectly here.

Besides, we've already seen two Nolan Batman movies. We should have a good idea by now what kind of movie to expect from him.

15. Admiral_Young

@Captain Craig, Again I'll give you the example of a couple of my friends who don't follow news, or post on message boards didn't even bring up the FX in the trailer and are excited for the film. They also don't read comics either. Granted these are just two people but I'd figure I'd give you at least a small example. Maybe this isn't the case for others who don't follow production news at a regular basis.

16. JarodRussell

Well that was already the case with TDK. It was miles away from being a basic super-hero movie.

17. Allyn Gibson

That's very true.

What struck me was how little Batman there was in the trailer, though, and that has to be deliberate, to the point where I genuinely wonder if The Dark Knight Rises will be a super-hero movie as we currently understand the term. :)

18. Captaindemotion

@ CaptainCraigThe same average cinema-goer probably hadn't heard of Ras Al Ghul or Scarecrow from Batman Begins, either. Nor, for that matter, might they have known the villain from Iron Man or other superhero movies. They will, however, know Anne Hathaway and may be aware that she's playing Catwoman. I also think that fandom will be more worked up about the dodgy SFX than the average cinema-goer.

I think the fact that this is the long-awaited sequel to TDK and that Nolan's name is now better known than it was when that movie was released will doubtless compensate for any other 'shortcomings' (and I'm not persuaded that they exist) this trailer may have.

@ Allyn Gibson when Nolan and Goyer first got together to make what ultimately became Batman Begins, they talked about how cool it would be to make a trailer for a movie where you didn't realise that it was actually a Batman movie until the end. And thus it was with BB's first trailer. This is really just continuing that tradition.

19. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Caine doesn't sound tired to me. Alfred sounds like he's on the verge of crying and is trying not to do so.

I thought that Anne Hathaway sounded just fine even a little menacing.

The "batmobile" does look a little shaky but the effects aren't finished yet.

For the first trailer it gives just enough to whet the appetite for the second trailer. I liked how it didn't give a lot of the story away. Too many trailers do that. Anyways after The Dark Knight I think that this movie is pretty much presold to Joe and Jane Sixpack. People are gonna see this movie regardless of the trailer.

BTW it was weird to see Batman out fighting in the daylight.

20. Admiral_Young

Yeah Alfred was emotional in that scene...and perhaps tired (but not Caine being tired) of seeing Bruce go through what he has. I actually thought that speech was the most poignant of the trailer.