George Lucas: Star Wars stood on the shoulders of Star Trek

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by serenitytrek1, Jul 12, 2013.

1. serenitytrek1

serenitytrek1 Commander

2. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Lucas and Abrams are 2 people that should both stay the fuck away from Star Trek.

They're perfect for Star Wars though.

3. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No thanks :barf:

4. serenitytrek1

serenitytrek1 Commander

Why?

Lucas is a good director and writer as long as he doesn't write the romantic dialogues between Spock or Uhura, we should be fine.

If Lucas, JJ, Spielberg put their heads together for Trek 3 maybe Trek can reach the 1 billion dollar mark.

5. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Because he hasn't directed anything good in decades and I don't want him anywhere near Star Trek. Or Star Wars for that matter.

I don't really care about that. None of it goes in my pockets.
    I already like what Abrams has done in his 2 Star Trek movies. As long as they make enough money to guarantee sequels, I'm good.

6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Lucas is primarily a producer who started out as an editor. He has surprisingly little experience as a feature film director -- THX-1138, American Grafitti, and four Star Wars films, a mere six movies in a 48-year career, plus a variety of shorts and documentaries early in his career. Every other major film he's been involved with has been directed by someone else. As a director, his skills are primarily visual and tonal; he has very little proclivity for writing dialogue or directing performances. Most of his writing credits are story credits for productions that others wrote the screenplays for.

Back on topic, his statements in Trek Nation are not really big news, since the documentary came out two years ago. I'm surprised it took this long to get onto DVD. But it was gracious of Lucas to acknowledge the importance of Star Trek to his own work. There would've been no Wars without Trek paving the way.

7. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I'd rather see someone like Alex Proyas tackle Star Trek. Dark City was probably his finest hour (or two) and he cowrote the script as well. I think he could handle the visual eye candy requirements and perhaps provide a little brain candy as well. Unfortunately, he's not had a lot of box office success.

8. anh165

anh165 Commander Red Shirt

Lucas had the vision and created a franchise that has been part of modern culture for nearly 40 years.

JJ Abrams has been at the helm of very successful TV shows and helped Star trek regain popularity and made it accessible to people who would have normally avoided it.

So what will it be? Them or some director and production team that made Trek unlikeable and embarassing like it was 12 years ago?

9. serenitytrek1

serenitytrek1 Commander

:)

I agree...Lucas is not that bad, If JJ remains a producer and Lucas directs, the film will turn out fine. However I will prefer Steven Spielberg over Lucas.

Thing is this, Trek 3 needs a big director. It is basically essential to its Box Office numbers.

10. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Star Trek reference in Star Wars Episode VII or GTFO.

11. Opus

Opus Commodore Commodore

Nah. Lucas wrote a great space opera back in the day. Then he became a marketing mogul with the SW brand and a SFX juggernaut with ILM.

But that was YEARS ago. It's not the 70's anymore.

12. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Lucas is a great ideas man, but, he's horrible with details.

Didn't he write the awful dialogue and direct the awful performances in The Prequel Trilogy? And many of those actors that were directed so poorly in the SW Prequels are very good actors, so, the blame for their performance points pretty directly at how they were directed to perform.

13. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

I think that if Star Wars episode I, II, III would be directed by another director the movies would be a lot better.
    Those movies had great actors (yes even Hayden Christensen watch Shattered glass) but the dialogs we're not very good.

14. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Why are we even talking about this as if it were remotely a possibility? George Lucas has retired from big-budget filmmaking. He plans to devote his remaining years to small, experimental independent films.

Besides, he hasn't directed a non-Star Wars film in forty years. Even if he weren't retired from blockbuster producing, there's no reason to think he'd be a candidate for directing anything outside of SW.

15. Cinema Geekly

Cinema Geekly Commander Red Shirt

They are just two totally different styles of story telling. The JJverse is as close as we will come to them melding together, but a bigger effects budget and a fast pace to the movie seem to be what casual moviegoers really wanted.

Outside of those two things Star Trek has really stayed the same.

16. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Not that he really needed to; some of it is kind of obvious.

Vader levitating a coffee cup, as seen in the ANH comic/novel? Gary Mitchell did it first.

Palpatine shooting energy bolts from his bare hands? Gary Mitchell did it first.

Obi-Wan feeling the death of Alderaan? Spock did it first ( in The Immunity Syndrome ).

17. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I wouldn't say Star Wars owed much to Star Trek at all. It is based far more on westerns, samurai films and Flash Gordon serials.

18. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

Agree on all thoughts.:techman:

19. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

Well said, Christopher.;)

20. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I tend to agree with Christopher as well. Out of the six SW films episodes V and VI had a co-writer credit if memory serves and dialouge wise they are the best of the bunch. What I think the prequel triology needed was another writer to help tighten up the dialouge. Like Chrisopher said from a visual point of view he knows what he wants but perhaps isn't always to tell the actor exactly what he wants. As for FX perhaps he finds that a more comfortable medium.