Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Obiwanshinobi, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Even though the comics themselves have moved away from it, the Byrne Superman has been the strongest influence on all of the Superman adaptations that have come out since: from the Saturday morning cartoon series that came out around the same time, through Superman The Animated series, Lois and Clark, and Smallville.

2. A beaker full of death

A beaker full of death Vice Admiral Admiral

Thanks. Cuz they didn't teach us that in law school.

3. A beaker full of death

Actually that's a really new development. It used to be the other way around.

That's one of the reasons what Reeve did was so remarkable.
    bear in mind, too that when Superman was created, there weren't high speed camera taking pictures of absolutely everything and everyone at every second.
    Though, of course, Lois was always in close proximity to him. She just was never very bright.

4. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

The other way around? So, you mean for the most part, DC characters let everyone know who they are? What the fuck?

Or, were you just talking about Marvel?

5. A beaker full of death

Well, not everybody, but pretty much all the heroes knew who all the other heroes were. And there are a shitload of heroes.
    On the other hand, over at Marvel even the Avengers didn't know many of each other's identities.

6. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

He's talking about Marvel. Spidey, the Avengers, the X-men and Daredevil all had secret IDs. The first generation of Marvel's Silver Age were pretty traditional in that respect. Hulk was discovered to be Bruce Banner early on. Don Blake more or less faded into the background as Thor became more Asgard oriented. DD (1994) and Iron Man's (2002) revelations are recent. The status of Cap's secret ID has yoyo'd back and forth a few times. With world wide memory wipes erasing it more than once. Not sure when the Pyms went public. Might have been Jan's wedding to Yellowjacket.

7. Nerys Myk

Englehart addressed this in his first run. Thor and Iron Man totally knew each others secret IDs, even though they pretended they didn't.

IIRC, the JLA first learned each others civilian IDs in JLofA #19. But I think they might have erased the memory of it.

8. A beaker full of death

DD went public? I had no idea. Fuck. Why? Talk about the perfect cover!

9. Nerys Myk

Yeah, but somehow he got it back only to have it exposed again. Not sure of his current status.

10. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

People in the Marvel Universe still know Matt is Daredevil "allegedly" ;) Matt kind of has taken to having a bit of fun with this :)

11. Taylirious

Taylirious Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

'Man Of Steel'

Superman! folks. Join The Party! :bolian:

12. EnsignRicky

EnsignRicky Commodore Commodore

'Steel' sounds so dated. :devil:

13. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

As opposed to "Bronze"?

14. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

More spoilers & good words seem to have come out from people who have allegedly seen the movie

According to the user who posted all the details, Lex Luthor is not seen in the movie, but gets a mention, with it looking like it's setting up the "Man of Steel 2."
    He's never shown but he is referenced in the way Norman Osbourne is referenced in ASM. They state in the movie that he is working on a new AI that will "revolutionize technology unlike anything Metropolis has ever seen." My guess it's a nod to Brainiac should a sequel be developed.
    More spoilers include mention that Clark Kent will be his normal "farm boy" self we've seen in the past as lines from Perry White are described.
    Yeah there are fun moments with Clark's interactions with Perry White as Perry jokes "Well Clark, I guess you prove all farm boys grow up to be big and strong but still can't to a woman without a stutter." Also, his early interactions with Lois are classic Lois/Clark fodder. Yes, he smiles a few times.
    And remember the rumor about Superman battling robots? True.
    Yes he does. They slightly resemble the robots from Sucker Punch but look way more realistic and not like cheap CG cartoons like SP. I was sort of let down that they didn't really give him much of a fight and were mainly a "test" from Zod to see if he were truly the son of Jor-El.
    Some other mentions:
    Definitely the best Superman film in terms of action and acting.
    Less "Zack Snyder" slow motiion: I think he was aiming for more normal paced fights and saved the slo-mo shots for more devastating hits in the fights.
    Better than Smallville: The story was great. It was definitely different from other Superman movies and even the animated series. It showed how he felt different all his life even as a young kid and his reluctance to become Superman but accepted it when he knew the world needed someone to defend it. (I know people will be say "Well that's what Smallville accomplished". Well this movie conveyed that in a considerably less amount of time with more emotion than the 10 years Smallville attempted to do. And I say that even though I enjoyed Smallville.)
    Cavill was great. Definitely the most solid and relatable Superman portrayal. Way better than Routh and slightly above Reeves IMO.

http://movies.cosmicbooknews.com/content/lex-luthor-man-steel-find-out-spoilers-set-part-2

15. A beaker full of death

Now how did Doc Savage get pulled into this?

16. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

New photo from Total Film May issue

[​IMG]

17. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's a lovely cover. I will most likely pick it up from the book store if it's not already sold out :)

18. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

That suit is so shiny, it reminds me of a polished turd.

No, I don't like the suit.

19. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

You don't say.

20. EnsignRicky

EnsignRicky Commodore Commodore

I'm not in the turd polishing trade, but it looks okay to me.