Scariest Episode of TNG

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Rory1080p, Jan 23, 2014.

1. TheSubCommander

TheSubCommander Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

More like a creepy moment, than the whole episode, but Time Squared: when we see the grainy, distorted video log of Picard's shuttle leaving the shuttle bay, especially the shot of the figure of Riker looking on, then just moments later the Enterprise is destroyed, followed by the audio log of Picard reporting the destruction of the ship. The music it was set to was pretty eerie, too.

2. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Another one, "Frame of Mind."

Maybe not "scary" but, man, it's like live-action fever dream, very, very unsettling.

3. AgentCoop

AgentCoop Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The holodeck scene in "Identity Crisis" is pretty creepy, when Geordi is trying to figure out where the extra shadow came from.

But the holodeck scene in "Schisms" takes the cake:

"I've been in this room before."

"We've all been in this room before."

4. Lucky

Lucky Captain Captain

Off the top of my head I'd say Night Terrors

5. CrazyMatt

CrazyMatt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, it was soooooo bad it almost scared me away...... from ever watching another episode.

I still think it scarred me psychologically, too.:drool:

6. miklatov

miklatov Ensign Newbie

Like others, I found Night Terrors very creepy (the mortuary scene still gets my heart beat up even after multiple viewings). of course, Schisms too.

I'd like to add one that I don't think has been mentioned though. The episode itself is not scary at all but for one brief moment : In Theory

A scream, then seeing a dead Lt. Van Mayter melded into the floor just totally shocked and scared me first time I saw it. I think part of it is the fact her eyes are open, too.

The horror

The rest of the episode is just scarily bad (imho!) :lol:

7. WisTrekFan

WisTrekFan Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Genesis is the only Star Trek episode that has ever scared the bejesus out of me. It is still an episode I avoid watching.

8. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Not to mention the blood slowly running from her nose. Yikes!

9. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Commodore Commodore

Haven't seen it, never going to see it.

Got as far as the credits on one BBC showing before NOPE.

10. trekshark

trekshark Captain Captain

11. Joel_Kirk

Joel_Kirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the Joel Zone, identifying as Sexually Fluid.
    Conspiracy....with Data's Day a close second...:cool:

12. GalaxyX

GalaxyX Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

For a Star Trek episode Night Terrors was terrifying! The whole "eyes in the dark!". The fact that Betazoids go crazy after a while and people start hallucinating shit.

And I still jump every time I see the corpses sit up in the morgue! yikes!

Interesting that to me, Eye of the Beholder wasn't scary at all, but my brother was terrified at the scene where they find the skeleton inside the wall.

I agree with everything you said. To add, I think the morgue scene is particularly scary because for that fraction of a second, you feel just as helpless as Crusher feels at what seems some incredible supernatural force in effect.

While Remember Me wasn't "scary" per se (one of my favourite TNG episodes), but two things in it are kind of frightening if you think about them:

1. A huge vortex trying to suck you in out of the blue.
    2. Looking out at the universe and only seeing some gray mist/energy barrier

The scene where Data gets torn apart so easily at the beginning freaked me the fuck out the first time I saw it.

I loved the whole concept, and even though it was freaky, I think it ended well. Riker was able to not only escape and save a crew member, but was able to grab a phaser and shoot one of those fuckers point blank in a symbolic "fuck you asshole" moment :) . I thought that act of defiance was freakin' awesome!

The exploding head did nothing for me. I guess it looked too fake/cartoonish. And I wouldn't consider that "scary" as much as it is "gross".

The "I've been in this room before" scene was truly unnerving though.

:guffaw: I still love the episode, it's my favourite Trek episode of all time.

I thought the creepy face was bad enough, Nagilum or whatever his name was, he makes it worse by saying 'I've gone to great lengths to appear in your form" or something like that. Then a redshirt dies in probably the most horrible way I've ever seen someone die in a Star Trek episode.

If by "scare" you mean "gross out" then yes I agree. I don't know when "gross out and vomit inducing scenes" in movies because synonymous with "scary". Watching some guy tear open a guy's stomach to get to a key is not "scary", it's sick and vomit inducing. Or watching some guy get his face torn open by a machine is not "scary" either, it's more like heave and gag reflex inducing. No thank you.

Night Terrors beats it on sheer scary moments. Schisms is just unnerving, but end on a lighter tone to me.

In Night Terrors, we didn't even find out who the heck was on the other ship, we just see this blue glowing ghost ship fly off. Where they creatures of energy or something? They are obviously still limited by spacial anomalies like humans are.

The whole episode is a mind fuck, but I wouldn't call it "scary" though, just unnerving.

That was a scary scene I admit, in an episode that was pretty mediocre to boot.

The only thing that's kind of scary to me is that spider thing Barclay turns into. I laughed when Riker became a Neanderthal (how fitting) and Worf becoming some dinosaur creature was expected.

I'll add my own moment of TNG that unnerved me:

In Parallels, when the beat up Enterprise of the Borg infested universe shows up, and Riker is begging not to be sent back because he's terrified of going back there. That was bad enough, but made worse by the fact that he was trying to stop Worf from resetting everything back, and gets shot and blown to pieces. Really sad and unnerving moment for me. He just wanted to live and unfairly died :(

I think that's the one scene that actually made me feel queasy for a couple of days afterward.

13. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

That's your winner.

14. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I thought the romance was far scarier.