REMINDER ABOUT EMBEDDED IMAGES - Everyone please read

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Ptrope, Feb 16, 2009.

1. MrArcas

MrArcas Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Oh thanks. I feel dirty now....

*sigh*
    Bath time... again????

2. BorgMan

BorgMan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Hey Ptrope, sorry, but... you might want to seriously consider rewording that first point. I'm near-native and I didn't understand it either. Seeing as more people have fallen over it, I'm actually kind of surprised that it's still worded the way it is. A rule as important as that one shouldn't warrant a "wait, did I read that correctly or not" type of reaction. But that's just me ofcourse.

[EDIT] Holy shit, I just realized that the last posting date is 2013! I'm... I'm really sorry :brickwall:

3. the Animaniac

the Animaniac Ensign Newbie

Hi, i´m new here and i have a Question. When i try to start a New Thread i cant find a Function to Upload Pictures directly to the Thred, must i wait the 14 Days and 14 Posting to Upload a Artwork directly to TBBS-Thread?

4. DertyNerdy

DertyNerdy Lieutenant Red Shirt

Hi...i'm a little confused by something. If free image hosting compainies don't want their bandwidth stolen by uploading images onto their server and embedding them here or wherever then what is the purpose of their website? I've started a thread not long ago which is image heavy and being a newbie, i don't want my thread crushed beause of some bygone 56k dial up issue. Do these rules still stand? even so, I'm happy to lower the resoutions of my images in future.

5. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't think we can upload pictures to the thread anymore, not since we recently moved to Xenforo.

The ban on hotlinking does not apply to image hosting sites (like Imgur, Photobucket, etc.), since that's part of the reason they exist. The image resolution thing was mainly because it used to be that the larger images "stretched" the threads horizontally, making it difficult to read. Since moving to Xenforo, larger images are automatically scaled down (and you can click on them to see it full size), so I'd imagine that rule can be relaxed somewhat.

6. Sgt_G

Sgt_G Commodore Commodore

I had no problem understanding the intent of the rule upon my first reading. Going back and re-reading it several times, I still fail to see where the confusion comes from.

7. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

Same here. I thought the meaning was perfectly clear: "DO NOT embed images that are NOT hosted on your own space, whether it's a personal website or an account like Flickr or the variety of free image-hosting websites out there."

In other words, DO embed images that ARE hosted on your own website or on a free image-hosting site. The double negatives cancel each other out.

I usually use the basic, no-frills image hosting site HostPic.org.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
  8. dubeau

dubeau Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Mmm. I have y own website, but I just posted images from my deviantart. I wonder if it's a problem...

9. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

Nope - shouldn't be