Apperantly NASA accidentally created a warp-field

Discussion in 'Trek Tech' started by FreddyE, Apr 27, 2015.

1. FreddyE

FreddyE Captain Captain

2. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

Interesting. I would say it's too early to get very excited. And even if this is what it is, there would surely be decades of engineering ahead of us before even an unmanned probe wold be practical. I mean, whose to say, but in all likelihood.

--Alex

3. yenny

yenny Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

4. Robert D. Robot

Robert D. Robot Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I hope something like this does not one day lead to a "Big Mistake", like what we read about in the novel 'Hyperion'!

5. Nebusj

Nebusj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I would say it's wrong to be excited. The claim is absurd; the claimer ridiculous.

6. Albertese

I was trying to be tactful.

Although, if anything like warp fields are to be discovered I suppose it'll be though some means such as described in the article.

To be clear, all the article really says is that while experimenting with EmDrive conceptual prototype equipment, laser beams behaved oddly but in a way that might be consistent with the math behind the Alcubierre concept of field distortion. Which, itself, is purely mathematical. Whether or not this result will in any way lead to practical Alcubierre hardware is, tactfully, too early to say.

And, if I were a betting man, I'd put my money on "no."

--Alex

7. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

oops i accidentally the star trek

is this dangerous?

8. JES

JES Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Why, what did they do? Warp space around the entire solar system, permanently?

9. Robert D. Robot

Robert D. Robot Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It didn't involve a warp field, but scientists had created an artificial black hole that dropped to the center of the Earth, eventually consuming the planet, forcing EVERYONE to leave Anatevka....

10. Albertese

I once wrote a short story where an experiment in FTL propulsion accidentally destroyed the sun. Eventually, everyone died.

--Alex

11. CuttingEdge100

CuttingEdge100 Commodore Commodore

Sadly, I assume the elites will use this to figure out how to escape earth while we all rot

12. JES

JES Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Sounds like what some people were afraid that the Large Hadron Collider would cause.

If that is the case, they might want to keep the existence of the technology a secret as long as they can, to attempt any fuss when they try to leave.

There are conspiracy theories that the military already has the technology reverse engineered from alien technology, but it is locked up in black projects. If the elites has knowledge of this technology, it might explain why most major corporations don't seem to give a shit about the environment. They probably figure they can milk the planet for all it's worth, pay the military to build ships for them to use, then move on to the next poor inhabitable planet they can find to exploit. Rinse and repeat. They'll probably make us pay through the nose to leave our planet, if at all.

That, or it's just plain, careless greed.