Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Obiwanshinobi, Jan 30, 2011.

1. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

Depending on which version you see, the Canadian version of the Lester and the ABC extended version showed the destruction of the Fortress.

2. Agenda

Agenda Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The only version I remember is a bunch of cops showing up at the Fortress of Solitude. I'm pretty sure that's what's on the DVD.

3. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

Donner was likely being sarcastic. He is sarcastic (and, honestly, full of himself) throughout his commentaries

4. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

What's great about the "hand in fire" scene is that it basically trapped Clark into telling the truth! What else could he do?!

Honestly, that's what I assume happened "off camera" somewhere anyway. Not that Superman has "amnesia kiss" as one of his powers where he can selectively edit someone's brain. He simply concocted something up in the FoS, put it on his lips and the chemical was able to edit Lois' brain and memory of Clark being Superman.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2012
  5. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Well Superman had all kinds of strange, additional powers in the comics at the time, so the "amnesia kiss" didn't really stand out or bother me all that much. Plus the Donner movies always had a slightly magical tone to them anyway.

I just wish they had included the Superman and Lois conversation that we see in the Donner cut before that scene. It was not only beautifully written, but made Lois's emotional breakdown MUCH more believable and understandable.

And yes, I'm just gonna say it-- I love the cellophane S he rips off his chest as well. Thought that scene was cool as hell when I was a kid, and I STILL think it's cool. So there. :D

6. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

One of his pre-Crisis powers was super hypnosis, which he sometimes used to protect his secret identity by making people forget certain incidents. The amnesia kiss is really a form of that power.

7. Trekker4747

No power of Superman's is greater than his Brick-Laying Vision!

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJ7DvYZRbdw[/yt]

8. therealsb63

therealsb63 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

That's weird, how did I get credited for what DWF said above??

:confused:

9. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

No, it didn't trap him at all. There is no way in hell that Kal-El of Krypton is going to actually trip and put his hand in the fire by accident. Clark's clumsiness is all an act. It was even stated in dialogue that Clark pretty much did it on purpose, at least subconsciously, in order to reveal himself to Lois. So it's still a situation where the man takes the initiative and the woman just reacts. The original Donner version, the audition version, is far different: Lois is the one who forces the issue by shooting Clark and making him think she's outed him. She's the initiator there. And she's smarter than Lester's Lois because she wasn't actually convinced by Clark's deception earlier.

Nope, the super-hypnotism explanation is probably the best one in terms of the Silver/Bronze-Age Superman we're talking about here. Although it's pretty creepy that he uses hypnotism to manipulate a woman's mind while kissing her.

I don't care for the "amnesia kiss" at all, though. In my preferred version, as I said in my blog review, the Donner Cut ends just after Superman flies off Lois's balcony; there's no second turning back of time and no amnesia kiss. Lois just remembers that Clark is Superman, and learns to live with that and keep his secret. And that doesn't even contradict Superman III, since Lois is hardly in that movie and does show some jealousy toward Lana at the end, something she wouldn't have done if she still thought of Clark as just an ordinary coworker. (It does contradict IV, but who cares? And it contradicts Returns, but that movie's pretense of being in the same continuity falls apart if you simply look at a calendar.)

10. Trekker4747

And oddity in how I quoted, probably. Fixed.

As for Christopher....

Clark's "trip" always struck me as somewhat "accidental" perhaps in taking the bumbling Clark shtick too far. Mostly I read it this way from how he tries to hide his hand and frustratingly hits a pillow (or something else nearby.) Even if it was on "purpose" on a subconscious level then it still "trapped" Clark into revealing he was Superman because there was no way he could explain away his hand being in the fire and not getting burned.

Whatever method Superman used to erase Lois' mind it was a pretty dumb thing to do on a dramatic level. Probably one of the worst uses of the proverbial "reset button."

11. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Even so, that still makes it all about Clark vs. his own subconscious, and reduces Lois to a passive spectator. It's a more chauvinistic approach to the storyline. In the original Donner version, Lois is a stronger, smarter, more equal character.

12. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

Well Donner's leaving was a childish I think anyway, since he left because he wasn't going to have complete control over the final edit of the movie, But then after the director gives the studio his cut it's really out of their hands what the studio and producers do with it anyway.

13. Trekker4747

Really, I'm no fan with how Lois was used in the Superman movies, really any of them (though she was slightly better in "Returns." I hope MoS gets her better.

I think the TV series and movie serial versions of Lois were done very well, Lois in "Lois & Clark" was very good and even Durance in "Smallville" didn't do too bad a job towards the later seasons.

It's not unusual for a director to want the final cut of a movie to see that his full vision makes to screen. Besides, my understanding on Donner's leaving had more to do with the studio not being satisfied with his ability stay on schedule and budget with the first movie.

14. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

This is from the Donner Cut article at Wiki.

15. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

16. Titus Andronicus

Titus Andronicus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^Thanks for that!

17. StarTrek1701

StarTrek1701 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That was leaps and bounds better than what we got! :bolian:

18. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

That is a much better version. Seeing these fan made trailers the last few years, and posters, that are often better than the official thing has me wondering just what qualifications it takes to get hired by these outfits.

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

That was by far the best version we've seen yet.
    It's kinda sad that the amateurs have started doing a better job promoting movies than the professionals.

20. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

The autofocus fail makes it unwatchable, so it can't be the best, automatically.