The "I hate that Star Trek created ____" Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by KaineMorrison, Jul 4, 2014.

1. KaineMorrison

KaineMorrison Lieutenant Commander

The Bolded and underlined are the only words I don't recognize or understand, and I'm too lazy to look them up right now.
    :p

2. KaineMorrison

I hate that I can no longer remember what ships are/were what class. Though this is due to me being away from Trek for so very long.

3. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I hate that I can no longer list every episode title from memory.

4. KaineMorrison

Every Episode? Or just Every TNG Episode?

5. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Every. Once the Animated Series began, I lost track.

6. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

quadro (four) triticale ( a real world grain)

7. Spider

Spider Dirty Old Man Premium Member

I hate that Star Trek created Ferengi. Dreadful creatures, I hate them.

8. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Tomography basically means "examining by slices" -- scanning something's innards in 3 dimensions by moving through it one slice/layer at a time, like a CAT scan or MRI, or like the medical-bed scan of the Ilia probe in ST:TMP.

9. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

The point is not so much that the audience can't understand all the technobabble, but that it often just ends up slowing things down and cluttering the dialogue with lots of unnecessary scientific-sounding verbiage.

(No doubt I've been guilty of this myself on occasion.)

And when you compare TOS to the latter-day shows, you can see where the technobabble starts to get out of hand sometimes. Throwing in lots of futuristic-sounding scientific jargon doesn't necessarily make a scene more dramatic or exciting--and may even have the opposite effect!

10. Christopher

The thing is, early TNG's tech talk actually made a reasonable amount of scientific sense, thanks to the research of folks like Rick Sternbach and Mike Okuda. So most of what they were saying was pretty much a legitimate justification of what we were being shown. For instance, "Evolution"'s portrayal of a periodic nova star was so good it could've been shown in an astronomy class, and the explanation of the "Yesterday's Enterprise" time warp as a "Kerr loop" was basically a real thing (despite mistakenly using "superstring" to mean "cosmic string").

But the later seasons and shows increasingly discarded legitimate science for invented particles-of-the-week and careless gibberish. Not to mention a tendency to treat technical terms as meaningless sounds. In "Caretaker," the description of the Caretaker as a sporocystian life form meant that it was a kind of life form that reproduced by forming spores in a certain way, a biological description. But in "Cold Fire," they were suddenly nattering about "sporocystian energy," which is a complete non sequitur. The writers just tossed in the word that had been used to describe the Caretaker before and didn't bother to understand what it meant and what it didn't mean. That's what I consider real technobabble -- technical-sounding talk that's actually gibberish, as opposed to informed, reasonable scientific exposition like early TNG tended to have.

So I think the problem is that TNG established the pattern of heavy expository dialogue because it was trying to be plausible and reasonable, perhaps trying a bit too hard in that respect and riding a bit too heavily on the exposition; and then later producers maintained that pattern without bothering to give it the same substance, so that it just became noise.

11. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I love the episode "The Measure of a Man" but hate the impact it had down the road. Non-sense with the exo-comps and holographic rights had me rolling my eyes.

12. KaineMorrison

I knew the "Quad" part. I didn't have it changed.
    Thanks about the Grain though.

13. Armored Saint

Armored Saint Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This! The Drumhead is an episode moral and justice and then, Agents Nerd and Nerdier make their "expert" report with "expert" language to explain idea like they were French sociologists.

I don't read your novels Greg and Christopher, so I don't know if you deserve to have your intrasubdermal ionic structure completely isolated from it quadriolic vibrations. :p

14. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

I understand your problem with "holographic rights" - after all, if anything was self-aware and worthy of the rights, it was the computer emitting the hologram and actually doing the "thinking", not the hologram itself. But I'm not clear on why you thought the exo-comps were nonsense. Bias against non-humanoid life, even in machine form? Or just the cheesy ham-fisted way some of the episode was written and acted in general?

15. Christopher

The point is that you seemed to think it was quad + rotriticale, when it's actually quadro + triticale. The actual Latin prefix for "four" is quadr- (from quattuor) followed by various different vowels -- usually quadri- as in quadrilateral or quadrisyllabic, but often found in variant forms like quadruple, quadrennial, quadratic. In fact, the "quadro-" form is quite anomalous; it probably should've been quadritriticale instead, but that's harder to pronounce.

16. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    The "how did Bobby Ewing get into Pam's shower over a year after he died?" cliffhanger was the one where the previous season was all just some bizarre dream of Pam's. It was nice to have Patrick Duffy back on the show, but some other good storylines got erased as a result of the reset.

It was big enough that my boyfriend - someone who didn't normally fret over TV shows - called me immediately after the cliffhanger ending, all excited and saying, "I can't wait until next week!"

"You'll have to wait a bit longer than that," I told him. "This was the last show of the season. We don't get to see what happens next until September, maybe October."

He was aghast. "That's not FAIR!!!" he wailed.

:lol:

17. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

Not to mention that it is the only time I'm aware of that something like that actually hosed continuity on an entirely different show in order to press the reset button: Knots Landing, the spin-off from Dallas, had several key events during the year that involved interaction with characters from Dallas - including Gary Ewing being informed of his brother Bobby's death. The producers of Knots Landing chose to leave Bobby dead in their series, and never crossed over with Dallas again for the remainder of Knots Landing. :lol:

18. Armored Saint

Armored Saint Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

What's not fair is when I bought the DVD last year while I was watching the series on Netflix and said to myself cool, there will have Chris Isaak, Kiefer Sutherland, David Bowie and Harry Dean Stanton with Kyle MacLachlan...to finally have 100 minutes of Lara Palmer screaming, crying and laughing.:scream::scream:

19. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    To clarify, I was referring to TNG, not Twin Peaks. I've never seen more than a couple of episodes of TP, although I do really like the theme music.

20. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

In a nutshell, it's the difference between:

"Captain! The engines cannot take it anymore!"

And:

"Captain! The primary matter-antimatter conversion chamber is undergoing an exponential quantum disruption cascade, resulting in a catastrophic field integrity inversion!"

As dialogue goes, I know which version I prefer! :)