Majel Barrett Roddenberry-Number One

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by James Wright, Feb 19, 2010.

1. Anji

Anji Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Assisting in the birth of baby Horta on Janus VI

The fact that she was Roddenberry's girlfriend had little to do with getting the role as No.1. He could've easily cast a much bigger star in her place, and given her a token role the way he eventually had to.

And let's set the record straight. She wasn't "dating" him for his money or power. He was a nobody when she met him. She truly loved that man, more than I've ever seen anyone love anyone else. She sparkled around him like a newly cut diamond.

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Maybe not, but the network's perception of that casting choice had a lot to do with her not keeping the role. They weren't happy with the way it looked, the scandal that could be created if it became commonly known that a married producer had given his mistress a leading role in his show.

3. The Borg Queen

The Borg Queen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's such a lovely expression. You knew her personally she and Gene were together?

I'm not doubting you, I believe what you say, I'm just curious if you'd actually met them personally and are talking from first-hand experience.

4. CoveTom

CoveTom Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not to derail the thread, but I still call bullshit on the MLK story, because it has morphed and changed so many times over the years. First she was inspired by MLK, then she got a phone call from him, then she met him at a party, and on and on. I tend to believe that either it was a very minor incident of some sort which Nichols has way overblown through the years, or it never happened at all.

5. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I dont think anyone said she was sleeping with him because he had fame or power nor saying she got the role because she was his girlfriend. Though at that time I wouldn't call her a great actress, so I can see the suits objecting on those grounds.

6. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

Gene wrote the part for Majel.

7. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

Oh, please. That's never stopped Kirk from talking down other characters in the past.

8. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

Ya, I want more Number One. So what if she was put there simply because Gene wanted to give his girl a role, at least it was a good one. I would accept this type of writing over putting the "Sabotage" in a Star Trek medium any day.

9. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

But Kirk knew Janice personally, better than he knew those other characters.

10. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

C'mon, can't you just hear Kirk's inner voice going, "Yup, still the same old psycho bitch," while he's telling her, "Yes, it's so unfair..."

11. CoveTom

CoveTom Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Regarding the original topic of this thread -- Majel Barrett Roddenberry -- I was watching "Cost of Living" the other night, as it was on our local station that currently syndicates TNG.

Since we'd been having this discussion, I was paying more attention to the performance by Mrs. Roddenberry. And, y'know what? She was a damn good actress. I was very impressed. Gene Roddenberry may have want to cast her in something back in the 60's because she was his mistress. But, regardless, I think it's Trek's loss that she didn't end up playing a more significant role. She really is a talent that I think could have added a lot of depth to a main character she was given the chance to play.

12. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Under the right direction, she could be pretty awesome. She could dial up and dial down her screen presence quite well as needed, although she was quite striking and couldn't dial it right down! It's real shame that Chapel was such a drip. If she'd been allowed to have more balls in What are Little Girls Made Of, or had been utilised in respect of her scientific qualifications instead of a supporting role as a nurse, we might have seen a much more worthwhle character.