Spoilers The Never Ending Sacrifice - Review Thread

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Idoliside, Aug 22, 2009.

1. Idoliside

Idoliside Commander Red Shirt

Just got this through the post yesterday. I'm about 1/5th the way through it and enjoying it alot. I'd compare it to a mix between the Terok Nor series and A Stitch In Time. Expanding wonderfully on the Cardassian culture through the eyes of Rugal. Can't wait to see where this is going :D

2. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

This is exactly what I wanted to hear! :)

I've heard nothing but good reviews from those who have been lucky enough to read it so far. As a Cardassian fan, I can't wait to get this novel!

3. MNM

MNM Captain Captain

I liked it. I thought it was well written, generally well paced, and seeing a Cardassian perspective on a few of the events that happened during DS9s run was interesting, and I ended up liking rugal more than I expected to do so.

I was also happy to see that Pen survived at the end and it was kind of a happy ending for Rugal in that sense, I like that kind of thing.

4. DeVario

DeVario Commodore Commodore

Same here! I already had a feeling I would like this novel, but now hearing that it's like ASIT and Terok Nor guarantees I will.

Now if only my local Borders or Barnes & Noble would just stock the darn book I can go pick it up.

5. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

I see the UK release date is October 5. :(

6. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

Chronologically, when does the book end?

7. LutherSloan

LutherSloan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Would also like to know this.

8. Idoliside

Idoliside Commander Red Shirt

9. DarkHorizon

DarkHorizon Captain Captain

The book ends about 18 months post-Unity (the O'Brien's are in 'their second year on Cardassia Prime', The Lotus Flower (which is two months after Unity) took place 'over a year' ago, and then there's a fair amount of travelling between Earth (a visit there of several weeks), Bajor, and Cardassia which must take up a couple of months). This puts it sometime in early 2378, the (current) latest timeframe for the DS9-R.

I mostly enjoyed the book, but felt it lost its way a bit after Rugal was forcibly enlisted in the military, and was taken off Cardassia Prime. Up until then, it had been an interesting look at how the civilian population of Cardassia dealt with the events of the series, but that perspective was almost completely lost as a result of that plot development - the characters we had dealt with were (with only a few, rare exceptions) never heard from again, and I felt that the novel lost some of its strength with that move. Still, a fascinating look at Cardassian culture and philosophy.

10. MNM

MNM Captain Captain

Definitely. I have had multiple books come nice and early, way before their uk release time, from there this year.

11. VDCNI

VDCNI Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If you live in or near London - Forbidden Planet already has it - I bought it yesterday.

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just started it last night, and after only half a chapter I can already tell that I'm gonna really like it.

13. Warp Coil

Warp Coil Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm curious - is this really an essential story within the DS9 relaunch? I get the impression that it's more of a "side story" that doesn't really involve the main characters or move any of the major storylines forward.

14. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Depends on how you define "essential." It doesn't seem to be directly connected to the series' story arc, but that's not the only thing that makes a book worth reading. Arguably A Stitch in Time wasn't "essential" in continuity terms, although it was such a brilliant and influential book that later works incorporated its ideas, and it was a must-read for reasons that have absolutely nothing to do with continuity.

15. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Worked nicely enough for me in both instances!

16. Cicero

Cicero Admiral Admiral

It seems fairly clear which meaning of essential was intended.

To all indications, The Never-Ending Sacrifice was a side story, like the Terok Nor miniseries or McCormack's previous novel Hollow Men. Its plot may become relevant at a later date, either in large part or in detail, but for the time being it doesn't appear central.

The book is fairly enjoyable nonetheless, if less so in the wake of several years of very little but background-filling and side stories. Were you to read only one Cardassia-centered novel, I'd recommend A Stitch In Time. Were you to choose two, Hollow Men is probably the best choice for the second. The Never-Ending Sacrifice is an obvious and solid third choice.

17. Una McCormack

Una McCormack Writer Red Shirt

Thanks everyone for the kind comments about the book! It's very exciting knowing that people are reading it at last.

DarkHorizon, I pondered including a brief scene from Kotan's POV in the final section, but decided that I wanted to focus on Rugal's steady realisation that nobody was likely to have survived. But I agree that it's a big ask for the reader, to get interested in a new set of characters two-thirds through the book. Thank you for your comments.

I also recommend the Book Depository.

18. Man of Steel

Man of Steel Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Does this book pick up after Soul Key since that and FS kept mentioning the NEver Ending Sacrifice.

Also, doesn't this book bring the series up to date with the Post Destiny events?

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

No, and no. It's pretty much just a side story that follows Rugal on Cardassia from the end of "Cardassians" until 2378 (which would put it ahead of the main DS9R). I'd think of it more as a companion peice to A Stitch in Time than a part of the main post-finale storyline. Although, I wouldn't be suprised if it does follow up on the events from the Cardassia story in WODS9 v.3, since it does feature the O'Briens and moves past that point. I'm only on the 2nd chapter so I don't know that for sure.

20. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore