Bleeding orange and green...or what?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Nerys Ghemor, Aug 13, 2009.

1. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, deoxygenated human blood is brown.

2. TiberiusMaximus

TiberiusMaximus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

To me the Union symbol looks like someone (the brown/orange part) cowering in front of a warrior-figure (the green maskish part.) Cardassia WILL crush it's enemies and they know it. And so do their enemies. Fits the Cardassian Union's personality But I like everyone's theories.
    I love Cardassians. They're also my six-year old brother's favorite species. I don't think I could even have said 'Cardassian' when I was six...but I digress.
    I'm sure Cardassian blood is red. And I've always been baffled by the apparent ease with which different Trek species interbreed, it certainly shouldn't be possible. On the other hand...if they all were originated by the same Progenitor, I guess the different DNA's ability to decide what traits to take from what parent would be part of the 'programming', which seems no more difficult than forcing the galaxy's inhabitants to all smile and kiss with their mouths and walk upright and like pretty colors. And that's an interesting point about Spock's birth.

3. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

There are certain expressions and sounds we make that have been studied and are actually ubiquitous to the human race. If those are somehow genetically programmed into us, the idea that a common Progenitor would have deliberately programmed those into all of the related species makes sense...it facilitates communication and interspecies relations if there is some kind of common, understandable basis between them all.

4. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^Actually, that reminds me, I was going to specifically ask you what the Cardassian emblem actually is, since I figured if anyone knew, you would. Is it a dude in a hood?; if so, what dude?

5. apenpaap

apenpaap Commodore Commodore

It's a Galor-class starship.

6. Nerys Ghemor

The Treklit sources say it's a guy in a hood.

Personally, I disagree with that. I say it represents an animal from Cardassia Prime. Why? Look VERY carefully at the tail of the Cardassian vole.

http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/File:Cardassianvole.jpg

For whatever reason, this sort of tail appears in nature on Cardassia Prime. I therefore tend to suspect that the design of the Galor-class starship, and the design of the Cardassian sigil, is inspired by some sort of animal, which in my opinion is probably a form of undersea life not unlike the manta ray. The irony of that is that I see Cardassia Prime's oceans as being depleted and full of anoxic zones, so I'm not sure how common this ray is anymore. (But remember, the bald eagle was a symbol of the US even during the period when the bird was endangered.) It may have even gone extinct. If so, its rarity or extinction may well serve to galvanize the Cardassians to TAKE what their world has lost from others.

Not sure, but I think it fits the design a lot better than Treklit's "hooded warrior" theory.

7. Sal'ira

Sal'ira Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

8. Nerys Ghemor

Interesting that someone put that in Memory Alpha--but I notice they didn't source it and there ARE multiple interpretations of what was seen onscreen.

9. Sal'ira

Sal'ira Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I was only throwing in my drachma. I like to think it's brown, though.

10. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

You know, I went with the Trek lit version of the hooded galor, but I must say I missed the tail of the vole, which is a really good catch. My take on the emblem, based on the Trek lit hooded-warrior, is below (I already reproduced it once up thread, but here it is :lol:):

Though I do like the tail explanation, which as I said is something I missed.

11. Nerys Ghemor

Well, since we have no canon explanation, neither of us is more "right" than the other. ;)

But once I saw that tail, at least in my own little "world" I started having it show up on other animals of Cardassia Prime. :D