Transporters in the nuVerse [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Flake, May 13, 2013.

1. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

Yes I know but its not brought up every time it would be useful is it? You would use it every episode! Its ignored/forgotten about because it is an easy way out. Borg destroyed 40ships and killed 11000 people... lets slingshot around the sun and go back and tell them not to bother attacking! Apply same thinking to every episode. Now we have transwarp beaming in two movies back to back and I fully expect it to crop up in the third! Even though it has gone well beyond the realms of established Trek physics.

2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Define "established Trek physics" because it seems perfectly in line with the list I posted on the previous page. The Dominion could do it. Did DS9 suck because the kept "breaking the rules"?

3. Flake

We have huge Starbases already. There are no 10 mile starships anyway.. you are massively over exaggerating the size of the Vengeance :) Its about the size of a Romulan Warbird from TNG or thereabouts. There are huge Dominion battleships in DS9 approximately 5000m long.

Yes but these devices for the majority of movies and episodes did not break their own rules. On the spinoffs and later movies there was a 'science consultant' and a whole team of people who wrote the tech manuals etc making sure that the writers did not create something like Transwarp beaming because doing so would break the show! (Well now we can just use this super beaming every week instead of doing the usual stuff!)

Not necessary to scrap them, just ensure they are used for short range 'hops' of no more than 50,000km and make sure they can't beam through shields. They where designed to get a landing party from the Enterprise to the planet of the week they are orbiting. Nothing more.

4. Flake

I have to go back to work but I will respond later ;)

Not got to your post yet :)

5. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

You mean... you will return to have your vengeance?:D

6. throwback

throwback Captain Captain

From what I am reading, I think it's not a question of being lazy. I think it's a question of being spread too thin. JJ Abrams was involved in a great many projects.

In the years between the first movie and the second movie, JJ Abrams was involved in 10 film and tv projects, including Star Trek. When you are doing this much, and, in that short amount of time, there are has to be compromises. When I look at Nicholas Meyer, who created what is considered one of the best of the Trek films by several sources, he spent at least three years working on the project solely. (The film prior to ST: TWOK, Time after Time, was released in 1979.)

He seems to have a calendar that is less crowded for the next two years, during which he will be working on the new Star Wars film.

7. anh165

anh165 Commander Red Shirt

Yep, I think its really all about envy.

TOS era characters performing feats that Janeway/Picard/Sisko could not do.

Some people won't rest until the reboot trek returns back to using paper mache rocks again.

8. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

Wait a second... Kharrrison actually beamed form Earth to Kronos?

Why the fuck does Starfeet even bother building starships then?

9. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Because transporters don't help you keep the balance or fight off the Klingons, Romulans or whoever else, when they come for you with their fleet.
    And because you need starships and their facilities to explore unknown regions of space. You can't keep beaming people blindly hoping to hit a planet.

10. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

What exactly were those feats again, besides the slingshot time-travel?

In the TNG era they have all sorts of goodies that TOS didn't have: phaser-strips, photon-torpedoes that split apart into multiple warheads, holodecks that can become sentient, etc...

Please, you're resorting to hyperbole.

This is supposed to be a prequel in the (if it were prime) late Pike-era. Doesn't it make sense that the tech should be a little less advanced, a little less perfected? It doesn't mean it has to look 60s, but it should feel somehow less advanced than even TOS, let alone TNG.

This actually makes space exploration feel more adventurous and daring. That's what the whole promise of, let's say, Enterprise, which was never fully realized because they made it feel too TNG-like.

11. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

Thankfully, it isn't.
    The writers are free to create this Star Trek as they like.

12. Cinema Geekly

Cinema Geekly Commander Red Shirt

In all likely hood? Because society has advanced by a leap or two since since TNG to say nothing of TOS.

I've heard some people complain now that the ships controls still look too retro compared to our current level of technological advance.

But in story line it would make sense to follow the old axiom of "necessity is the mother of invention". No doubt the appearance of Nero's much more advanced ship and the mystery of its origin would force the powers in that region to ramp up R&D to build things they hadn't conceived of before the events with the Narada.

13. ConRefit79

ConRefit79 Captain Captain

Then why didn't Admiral Robocop just beam a bunch of nukes to all the Klingon planets? How could they prove who did it?

14. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

He wanted to cause a war. Why do you think he had the Enterprise sabotaged?
    Hiding who attacked Kronos was never part of his plans.

15. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I haven't seen the movie yet. I've no idea about Admiral Robocop, his plans, his conscience or his war ethics.

And I'm not sure what that has to do with the Federation's need for starships. Even if you commit genocide and kill all the Klingons, that still doesn't mean you no longer need starships.

16. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

You know, I'm pretty sure I've asked you before not to do that. I'd really like to see you make an effort to stick to the movie (and aspects thereof) as a discussion topic—no shortage of things to talk about there, right?—and to avoid making insinuations about "envy" or statements concerning what "some people" will or won't do.

And often the best response to hyperbole is no response at all.

17. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

He wanted to win the war. Harrison beamed 72 missiles with a single transport on a starship. 72 missiles over Qo'nos would devastate the planet - or better yet, just blow up Praxis - that's just a small moon. A Taste of Armageddon featured tech to beam missiles within the same system from one planet to another. We can assume that this WAS S31's plan and this was why they were targeted.

It is a crazy can of worms to open.

I'm way more in favour of having clearer defined limits to the tech on all sides, with some having a minor advantage in some respects like Klingons having more manoeuvrable ships with more powerful weaponry but weaker shields and less powerful warp drives etc.

18. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

Didn't your momma teach you not to respond to rhetorical questions? ;)

19. TheSubCommander

TheSubCommander Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

My take on Transwarp beaming is that it has existed (sort of) since Gamesters of Triskelion, albeit it was alien technology.

20. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

See I found it awful and cheesy every time they pulled out the alien race with the magically powerful tech.

Give me the battle of wits between equally matched foes any day - Balance of Terror and TWoK are streets ahead of Gamesters in terms of excitement and anticipation.