why is there no more talk of a new star trek tv series?

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by tmosler, Apr 8, 2013.

1. tmosler

tmosler Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I know if it happends a new star trek tv show is a coulple years away but concidering star trek into darkness does well why is there no more talk about it from orci? The last I remember reading about it was on trek movie where orci said they were curently in touch with CBS and were getting close to sitting down and actually talking about it. So why hasnt there been any new updates since last year?

2. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

I think you answered your own question.

3. xortex

xortex Commodore Commodore

It has been genesis torpedoed over.

4. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

While there is a money making movie series, there isn't going to be a TV series.

Best chance for a TV series, will be a end to the movies.

5. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

From a letter from CBS Studios to Bob Orci:
    "Thank you very much. Don't call us, we'll call you."

6. LtChange

LtChange Captain Captain

Bob Orci said that talks will continue after ST:ID premier ... So we should have some talk in the summer.

7. Infern0

Infern0 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The T.V market is not the same as it was in the 90's.

If they did make a new Trek, it'd have to be on HBO in order to get the budget required.

There is too much money in cheap Reality TV these days, hence why you don't get that much big budget TV shows like Star Trek.

It would have to be different than TNG era trek was i'd wager.

If anyone has read the Vanguard novels, I think that would make a fantastic, HBO produced show.

8. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Does CBS own HBO? Because if it doesn't, Star Trek will not be on HBO, unless CBS sells HBO the rights to Trek, and that ain't gonna happen.

9. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Then why is ABC going to launch S.H.I.E.L.D., a spinoff of The Avengers movie (ABC and Marvel both being in the Disney toy chest)?

There's no contradiction between a successful movie series and a related TV series. In fact, one makes the other more likely. Hollywood likes success a whole lot and thinks in terms of brand name franchises. That's Star Trek's saving grace - it's in the winners column now. Without that, there would be no hope of a TV series at all.

Disney in particular is gung-ho about using all its IP in every way possible. ABC's development slate this year is full of Disney characters and theme park rides. (Hmm, this may be a good sign for a live-action Star Wars series?)

It would make sense if CBS wants the added security of another hit movie this summer before taking on the tricky task of figuring out where a Star Trek series would fit. Movie success may be a good sign for the brand name, but movies and TV are two very different businesses.

CBS does own Showtime, same difference as HBO. So it could be on Showtime, in theory. But I don't see that happening because to Showtime (or HBO), Star Trek is not attractive.

Premium cable justifies its price by offering stuff viewers can't get elsewhere. Star Trek is associated with free TV - that's not the image Showtime wants to offer. If Showtime or HBO were inclined to do space opera, they would be more likely to follow the Game of Thrones example and pick up some well-regarded novel series that is "untainted" by network associations.

The most likely approach is an animated series, on The Cartoon Network, pitched largely at kids (but if we're lucky, palatable to adults as well). Beyond that, I could see Netflix or Amazon doing a co-production with CBS. Maybe the series would air on CBS over the summer (2014) and also on a streaming service, a la Under the Dome. (If that experiment is a success.)

10. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

I'd love to see a new animated series, in particular one based on the new movies, or on Starfleet Academy, or even one that's like this concept:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mHyGlqsjsQ[/yt]

11. Temis the Vorta

SyFy just went space opera happy today, announcing the development of 5 series set in space out of a total of 7.

Plus the Blake's 7 remake/reboot/rewhatever, which already has a series order. Plus Ringworld as a miniseries. There could be two or even three space operas on SyFy in the not too distant future.

That's a positive sign in that, if even SyFy is turning their noses up at space opera, what hope does it have elsewhere? If one of these shows becomes a Walking Dead type runaway hit, then that will be even better - something to prove that space opera is not just viable on TV but The Hot New Thing.

EDIT: just watched Star Trek: Aurora up there. :wtf: Should be Star Trek: The Uncanny Valley because I couldn't bear to look at more than two seconds of those creepy mannequins. Until/unless animation of humans can be truly believable, it's best to stick to a certain degree of cartoonishness.

12. Shaka Zulu

Well, I tried, and I guess there's no pleasing some people.:rommie::lol:

Have you seen any animated CGI movies at all?

13. Temis the Vorta

Sure. They tend to feature nonhuman characters - toys, cars, animals, fish - so they can avoid the uncanny valley.

Even when a human character shows up, for instance in Toy Story, the animation style is deliberately more cartoony than CGI is capable of. Another good example is The Clone Wars, where there's no attempt at making the humanoid characters photorealistic, even though the worlds and spaceships are rendered in a highly realistic style

Professional animators understand the uncanny valley problem and avoid it. Otherwise, they end up with movies people are too creeped out to see, such as Jack Frost.

But don't feel bad, I've yet to see a fan-made Star Trek production that didn't have some fatal flaw that rendered it unwatchable. For instance, the live action ones generally have terrible acting. No idea why - is there really a shortage of talented out of work actors? I would have thought the actors would be the easy part.

14. xortex

xortex Commodore Commodore

Any good space opera will ride Trek's recent success but Trek was a failure on tv and that can't be built on unless you, CBS or Netflix has 75 million dollers to spend on every episode, bacause they - the movies and tv are two different animals.

15. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

More likely they would ride Avatar's recent success or perhaps try to get ahead of the resurgence of Star Wars.

16. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

Unless they're Digital Domain. Not that a Trek show would ever be getting the kind of budget necessary to do that though.

I think there's more to it than just acting. A large part probably has to do with directing as well, in which case a lot of people fancy themselves as directors, but are really just average at it, and not talented like the people who are paid for it in Hollywood. Hell, even people in Hollywood who are paid for it can take talented actors and sometimes make them so wooden.

17. Temis the Vorta

Yeah maybe the shitty acting is just shitty directing.

But if the next series is CGI animated, it's not going to fall in the uncanny valley because that just doesn't work at all. The effect is too creepy and remember, five year old kids need to want to watch it. They'll avoid it by either having the human characters be more cartoony or hey why not a Star Trek series set in the far far future where there are no actual humanoid species left?

Okay that's probably too out there. Cartoony CGI characters/realistic worlds and tech.

18. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's clear that you've never actually been involved in the entertainment business.

19. Temis the Vorta

Actually I have. :rommie: It's clear you enjoy talking out your ass.

20. Shaka Zulu

Who says that five-year old kids have to see it at all? Also, the animation on Star Trek: TAS was based in reality and wasn't 'cartoony', and it was a success-so how do you square that?

As for the so-called 'uncanny valley' look of this cartoon (Aurora), it's a one-man operation using what that one man (Tim Vining) could get his hands on, namely the DAZ Studio program (which I wish more professional animation studios would use instead of the same cartoony look popularized by Pixar, Dreamworks PDI, Blue Sky, and Sony), and working his ass off to get it done with voice acting by his wife Jeanette Vining as Kara Carpenter and also by himself.

It seems that the Japanese are the only ones who can appreciate realistic-looking characters in animation, which is why anime is at the top of the animation world (and growing) while North American animation is stuck in a childish netherworld.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2013