Abrams Trek Has To be Full Reboot.

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by StarMan, Jun 19, 2014.

1. StarMan

StarMan Vice Admiral Admiral

This isn't anything revolutionary, granted...

So the latest creative team partitioned off their version of Star Trek from the prime universe (generally speaking, the Universe in which Star Trek operated until their tenure) and the alternate universe, which their product operates in. You know the deal; Nero arrives via his special anomaly and off shoots a brand new Universe independent of the PRIME™ timeline.

What were the conditions of this particular temporal event that make it distinct from all other temporal events that took place in the Prime timeline? By this, I am making the assumption that every temporal event observed in Star Trek prior to Trek ’09 occurred within the same Universe. Every trip back in time, alteration and fix-er-upper were all in the aforementioned PRIME™.

The precedence set by time travel in the prime timeline would therefore preclude the theory explaining the current paradigm. It’s all well and good to point at quantum theory to back the point up, but that point, for consistencies sake (they are the keepers of the canon, yes?) ought to reverberate back to all iterations. Consequentially, there would be no Prime universe; every temporal event we have witnessed has resulted in an offshoot to another Universe which we subsequently observe.

So the way I see it, there is either no PRIME™ (and never was), or the events of the past two movies are taking place within the Prime timeline. Whether it always happened from a particular POV… to quote The Doctor (Who)… “Wibbly wobbly timey wimey”.

It ends up being a proper reboot. The Alternate Timeline in an Alternate Universe Theory is wholly inconsistent with all previous temporal events.

2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

You say this like Trek's ever been consistent with time travel prior to 2009. Remember "Time Squared", where the other Picard and shuttle fade away magically? Or "Tomorrow is Yesterday" where Spock beams Captain Christopher into his younger self which somehow makes everything right? Or "Yesteryear" where Spock wishes Thelin peace and long life in his timeline before he goes back to "fix" history? How time travel works is up to whoever is writing at the time.

According to "Parallels", any event has an infinite number of possible outcomes. On stardate 2233.04, either a giant Romulan deathship appears from the future or it doesn't - two possible outcomes, two branches of history.

3. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

I just call it a new version of Star Trek and move on.

4. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Doesn't ST2009 itself have the characters theorizing they're in an alternate universe?

5. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If Chris Hemsworth turns up in two years' time, it'll have turned out to be a big screen take on "Yesterday's Enterprise". Just stretched out into a trilogy.

Eventually they'll be a full reboot, with no concessions made to what's gone before and a complete reimagining of all the characters. Better left until sometime after the 50th Anniversary celebrations die down though.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
  6. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yup
    [YT]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bMK0qLVt0UU[/YT]
    and here's the "Parallels" clip I mentioned earlier:
    [YT]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MzUEu7Gb7Cg[/YT]

7. The Doctor

The Doctor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This is a topic that has never been covered before and I have great hopes for a reasonable and sensible conclusion to this question. :techman:

8. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

You must be newly arrived to this timeline then. Welcome. Sadly, I fear your expectations will not be met here, though perhaps your arrival will alter...the course of history. :lol:

9. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

Well now, that's not fun.

:lol:

10. Brutal Strudel

Brutal Strudel Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Same here.

11. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

I heard this POV before and I always looked at it like this; if the Prime timeline ceased to exist, Prime Spock would have disappeared, along with Nero, and his ship. I consider the two timelines to be existing with each other, just like the mirror universe.

12. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

No, it is the prime TOS timeline up until the Narada shows up, because everything that takes place prior to Nero's incursion in 2233 is thirty years before TOS even takes place.

13. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Full reboot or not. Settle in with a cold beer, relax and watch the movies. :techman:

14. Poltargyst

Poltargyst Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yes, in previous time travel episodes, the Prime reality was changed without creating a new branch.

Yes, this time in the Abrams production, time travel created a new branch off of the Prime reality.

I blame Q.

15. SiddFinch1

SiddFinch1 Captain Captain

A wizard did it

16. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

Who's to say branches weren't created?

17. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't think it really matters that much, but if you really must:

The "prime" timeline long ago established that it was one of an infinite number of alternate universes, some of which featured in the TNG episode "Parallels." (I think that's the correct title.) So if it helps any, I guess you could think of the NuTrek universe as a radical outlier among those alternate universes.

I don't think it's necessary, though. The tie-in to the "prime" universe was a nice nod, but the reboot universe is otherwise very much its own thing.

18. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, in all other instances I'm aware of (Yesterday's Enterprise, ST:FC, etc.), the timeline was reset at the end to the same one that it started out as.

19. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

Tell that to Sela and the Borg on ST:Enterprise.

20. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ There's no proof that those things didn't exist before the episodes that introduced them.

Indeed, it seems clear that the Borg's appearance on Enterprise established a closed time loop...