Firefly ep by ep; rewatch and reviews

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by saturn5, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

My thoughts ezzakly. In the Buffy thread, I basically skim thru, skipping the massive piles of statistics and just reading the precious few thoughts that pertain to the episode itself. And I really don't care about the fanficcers and shippers stuff.

On the episode: While I don't DISlike any episodes of Firefly, I really don't like the "she's a wiiitch!!!" aspect of this one. Hard to believe anyone would still act that way 500 years from now, especially in a society that obviously embraces multiple religions living side-by-side.

On Zoe's "cut down" rifle: The official name for a Winchester cut down like that is a "Mare's Leg," and it's officially classified as a handgun under current federal law because of its short barrel (less than 16") and lack of a shoulder stock.

2. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Yeah, the reviews are way too heavy on statistics and light on substance. I've watched these episodes countless times, I really don't need to know about all of the "notches on the bed post."

3. saturn5

saturn5 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Didn't know that about the Mare's Leg. As for the notches, well, not so many so far, married Wash and Zoe seem to have the most sex
    Anyway, cleaned up format, see if you like this better;

Our Mrs Reynolds
    [FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2] 
    [/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT] 
    The good;
    The Mal/Jayne exchange on the wagon cracks me up every time. Some great acting by Christina Hendricks and the scene where everyone stands around judging Mal upon meeting his bride is hilarious. Some nice tension too as they ingeniously slip the net.

The bad;

?

Best line;
    Mal; "How drunk was I last night?"
    Jayne; "I don't know I passed out"
    plus
    Mal; "You've the same right as anyone to live and kill people"

Packing heat
    ;
    One of the bandits appears to pack a Springfield rifle. Jayne shows Mal 'Vera', his 'Callahan full bore autolock assault rifle' which needs oxygen to work. I must say I was totally fooled by this scene, I knew Jayne wasn't threatening Mal but I thought he was actually giving the gun to him as a wedding present.

Kinky dinky;
    Mal cross dresses. The bandit leader demands 'one on one time' with Jayne's missus. Zoe refers to Saffron as Mal's 'nubile slave girl'. When Mal finds a naked Saffron in his bed she declares she's 'made herself ready for him', she started without him? She 'swells to think of you in me' as indeed does he. It's been a 'long while' for Mal. Wash likes forward women. Jayne never kisses his women on the mouth. Another thank you kiss from Mal to Kaylee.

Notches on the Serenity bedpost
    ; incredibly Mal resists

Inarra;1-a paying customer who wishes to make her his kept woman, 1 possible, Atherton.
    Wash; 1-the missus
    Zoe; 1-the hubby

Capt subtext
    ;
    Obvious jealousy from Inara, the only other member of the crew who's not laughing at all this. Also jealousy from Zoe, maybe over Mal but also over Wash seeming to like Saffron. Note her pride later when she learns that Wash resisted and stayed true to her. Kaylees's the only one who doesn't feel jealous, she feels for a crying Saffron describing Mal as a monster for upsetting her. Huge battle of seduction between Inara and Saffron but who's conning who? Like all straight men Mal loves the idea of two women together, thinking that Inara kissed Saffron rather than him.

How'd they get away with that?

Total Serenity crew; 9
    Mal, Zoe, Jayne, Wash, Kaylee, Inarra, Book, Simon, River

Subverting the Hollywood cliche;

Whedon cliches;
    Devoted siblings, haunted charismatic leading man. Teenage girls with superpowers. Hookers. Babbling insane girls with truth in their madness. Fake cockneys. Misguided religious zealots. Numbered t-shirts. Girls with botanical names (Willow, Saffron, Jasmine). Absent fathers, Mal raised by his mother and 40 ranch hands.
    Bondage;
    Mal; 1
    River; 1

Knocked out
    ; Mal by the goodnight kiss, Inara by a secondhand goodnight kiss, Wash the old fashioned way
    Book; 2
    Simon; 1
    Kaylee; 1
    Jayne;1
    Mal; 1
    Wash; 1
    Inara; 1

Women good/men bad
    ;
    If Saffron is to be believed girls on the backward planet are kept in a 'maiden's home' and given away in arranged marriages. Mal decares Saffron 'No one's property'. Zoe takes exception to the idea that she might cook for Wash.

Kills
    ; Mal, Zoe and Jayne kill 2 of the bandits each. Jayne kills 2 of the wreckers.
    Mal; 11-
    Zoe; 6-
    Jayne; 6-

Happy high-class hookers in Space
    ;
    Saffron refuses to be a 'doxy' and expresses contempt for them. Mal never beats around the bush and refers to it as 'whoring'. Inara actually thinks the arranged marriage is degrading. Also she reveals her speciality is washing her client's feet.

Know the face?

Whedon alumni- Joss likes to reuse the same actors in his series, let's count up their appearances (let me know if I miss any)
    Nathan Fillon-3; Firefly, Caleb in S7 of Buffy and Dr Horrible
    Gina Torres-2; Firefly and Jasmine in S4 of Angel
    Alan Tudyk-2; Firefly and the villainous/heroic(?) Alpha in Dollhouse (haven't seen season 2 so don't spoil it for me)
    Adam Baldwin-2; Firefly and Marcus Hamilton in S5 of Angel
    Summer Glau-3; Firefly, Dollhouse and the prima ballerina in the LEGENDARY S4 Angel ep 'Waiting in the wings'.
    Carlos Jacott-3; The Fed in Firefly, Ken in the 'Anne' ep of Buffy and Richard Straley in 'The Bachelor Party' ep of Angel.
    Andy Umberger;3-the captain of the Dortmunder in Firefly, D'Hoffryn in Buffy, the psychic surgeon in the Angel ep 'I fall to pieces'.
    Mark Shepherd;2-Badger in Firefly and later turns up as one of Ballard's FBI colleagues in Dollhouse. Also a BSG alumni.
    Jeff Rickets;3- one of the blue handed men in Firefly and Weatherby on Buffy/Angel plus the spiderdemon at the end of Angel season 4
    Gregg Henry; 2- he's one of those faces that occur time and again in TV/movies, the Sherrif in The Train Job and he later recurrs in the Dollhouse ep 'Ghost', one of my favourite eps of season 1.
    Christina Hendricks; 2-Saffron in Firefly and a bar maid in the Angel ep 'The Prodigal'. She'll later star in Mad Men with Whedonverse alumni Vincent Kartheiser.

Alliance good or bad?;

One of the bandits they kill is the wayward nephew of a senior alliance member. Mal&co probably wouldn't be in trouble but with Simon and River on board they don't want to chance it so don't hang around.

Fanfic;
    Plenty where Saffron seduces Mal, Inara and any and all of the entire crew. The adventures of Mr and Mrs Reynolds also popular.

Missing scenes;

Western cliches;
    Settlers in gingham dresses that would look apt in Oklahoma. Mal's mum owned a ranch, he really was a cowboy.

Firefly speak;
    Gorram=goddam.
    Weak tea=not good
    Back birth=idiot
    Companion=high class courtesan
    Gengish=competent
    Doh-ma=understand/understood?
    Rutting=bloody (or perhaps 'fraking'?)
    Chin-cha-da=hell
    Purple belly=officious bureaucrat
    Ta-gow=Oh god!
    Won-gwa-pee= to urinate or defecate
    Gosa=excrement
    Tien-sha-duh=rubbish
    Los-soh-ret=crap
    Dien-dyododo-chowen=bastard
    Wah=what the hell?
    Mah song=quickly
    Jin-seen-yung=idiot
    Nu-shu-quong=nice going

Shot; .
    Mal; 1-
    Kaylee;1-
    Jayne;1-
    Book;1-

Crew injured;

Wash gets a nasty old crack on the skull. Amazingly no one hits Simon for once.

Reminds me off;
    Here we see the gang as hired guns running bandits off a small town, much like the Magnificent 7 (or The A-team?). Saffron uses the term 'doxy' which I've only ever heard used before by Wes on Angel about Cordelia and her friends. Wash's story of geese juggling reminds me a little of Steve Martin's film The Jerk. The wreckers are very Jamaica Inn/The Fog. Mal's assertion that he beats Saffron because of his loyal crew of friends is very like Angel to Marcus in Carpe Noctem and Spike's definition of why Buffy always triumphs.

Questions and observations;
    The opening dirge is very Xena. We see the friendship between Mal and Jayne developing to a great degree, they seem more like buddies in this ep than before. Is Bau a real dish? We learn a little more about Mal, he's from the planet Shadow. The way the wreckers refer to the Firefly she sounds like the Volkswagon Beetle of spaceships. Note Saffron seduces Mal not with her body so much as flattering him for his morality. Inara pretty handy in a fight, maybe they teach more than footwashing at the academy. Why don't they all just pile into Inara's shuttle when they're being lured into the net? Or if they depressurise the cargo bay wouldn't it alter their course? Presumably the suit keeps pumping oxygen in when the visor is shattered allowing Vera to still function in a vaccum. Very little River in this ep, does she even have any lines?
    Marks out of 10; 8 bordering on a 9, really good, up there with Serenity as the best ep so far, funny, thrilling and some great character moments, really like Saffron and I hope we might see her again, I hope the rest of the series is this good.

4. Trekker4747

FONT AND SIZE TAGS DO NOT WORK ON THIS BOARD!!!!

And what's with the odd symbols in the paragraph breaks?

Also, still, too much statistical stuff and not enough substance.

Tell us more about the episode, what you think of the characters, their motivations, what's happened here, the humor in the scenes what life in this universe is like. I don't friggin' care what kind of 20th century prop guns were used to represent their 25th century coutnerparts, I don't care about how many times people were knocked out.

I want to know what you think of the show!

Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  5. McCoy

McCoy Commodore Commodore

Trekker, dude, relax about the tags it's no big deal.

saturn5 it's much more readable now.

6. Mal

Mal Commodore Commodore

[​IMG]

look, we're only criticizing because we care - we're all glad you're doing these reviews, and we all want your reviews to be better.

here's one handy tip: there is a Preview Post button. use it at least once before you hit Submit Post, read the whole thing through, and make whatever edits are obvious. i'm sure that will fix half the problems in your reviews.

now, i'll just point out a few quite fixes that should help you out:

exactly. here's my suggestion, if you really must keep track of "notches" and "packing heat" and "knocked out" then please, only post those statistics in the reviews of episodes where they change.

i'll say it again: you can keep a running tally of these things on your computer. and if in fact there is a change (a new notch, or whatever) during the course of an episode, then post that section. if no change, then leave that section out. simple, easy improvement.

how can we like "[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]" etc. better? this is why i'll say again, use the Preview Post button.

here's why we're excited to have you doing these reviews - most people would say the Special Hell spiel by Book was the best line. But these are great too. it's wonderful to have a new perspective :techman:

this is probably the first episode where Packing Heat is an essential component of a review, in that Vera is pretty damn central to firefly mythology. it works here, but that doesn't mean you have to include this section every single episode.

go back through this thread and see if anyone (even one person) enjoys this section.

nothing changed this episode, so leave this section out for this review. easy, simply improvement.

here's why this section rarely works for your reviews: there isn't a whole lot of subtext in firefly - the adults on this show are perfectly capable and willing to display their true feels without resort to angst or passive aggressiveness (except Inara & Mal, but that's why we love them!). there are some very notable exceptions such as the very last episode, but again, this section will be most appreciated when it is used sparingly.

see, you can leave a section blank when nothing changes! now you just have to learn to leave it out altogether when there is nothing to report. same applies to -
    nothing changes = leave it out for now.
    no one cares.

look, these are really interesting and central aspects of firefly lore, and we'd love to hear your thoughts on them. but it doesn't work so well when you just shove them into every single review.

some episodes really do tell us a lot about the Alliance, and it'd be a great time to point out the gray area in which the crew of Serenity operate. other episodes are heavy on the Companion aspect of this 'verse, and we'd love to hear your thoughts on how that compares to the part of the world you live in, or other parts of the world you might have traveled to or read about.

a western in space - wagon train to the stars - lay it on us! just don't force every review to say something about it in a standardized format.

you're writing a review, not doing your taxes.

this is all we really care about. and it's the only reason we criticize. because we want more of this :)

keep flying.

7. Pemmer Harge

Pemmer Harge Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Personally, I found a few of the early episodes, especially Bushwhacked and The Train Job a bit slight. Not bad, but they didn't really grab me. What I especially like about Safe is the character focus on Simon and River.

I've not seen the whole series yet, but it does seem to get better as it goes on. Out of Gas and Ariel are the last two I saw and they're definitely my favourite episodes so far.

8. McCoy

McCoy Commodore Commodore

By the way, saturn5, will you be including the Serenity film in this thread?

9. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Fleet Admiral Admiral

I would drink Saffron's bathwater. Damn, she is F - I - N - E!:drool::drool::drool: I really love this episode. It's quite funny.

10. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Vera: No cartridge firearm (and Vera is obviously one) needs "air around her" to fire. Every cartridge has everything it needs right inside it. Guns can be fired in vacuum, and even underwater. It's been tried and proven. This was just a case of writers not knowing shit about something.

Saffron: Dynamite bod, butterface, IMHO. I know I'm almost alone in this. :lol:

The Reviews: I agree with everything Mal wrote above. I'm reading the prose paragraphs and skimming over all the pointless stats.

11. saturn5

I bet Jack Bauer likes the kinky dinky section?;)

Ok, here we go, slimmed down and edited review which I hope will make people happier.

Jaynestown

[FONT=Arial]The good;
    The bit where the gang see Jayne's statue alone had me laughing out loud, then the song is even better. Inara's confusion over her client referring to Jayne but she thinks it's Mal is also hilarious. The River/Book scenes where she tries to correct the bible are terrific. Also love the bit where Zoe welcomes her boys home and her faked adulation of Jayne once she hears the story.

The bad;

Handing Stitch the loaded gun is deeply stupid, no matter what the magistrate's motivation. What IS the cargo they pick up? Stitch fires a shot in the air when we first see him confront Jayne but doesn't work the action and eject the spent cartridge until he shoots the mudder, he actually threatens Mal with an empty gun.

Best line;
    Kaylee (to Inara who's off to see a client) "Have good sex!"
    also like;
    Simon; (upon learning of Jayne's folk hero status) "This must be what going mad feels like"
    upon hearing the Jayne song;
    "No, THIS must be what going mad feels like"
    plus Wash;
    "Let's go to the crappy town where I'M a hero"
    and;
    River (to Book whilst correcting the Bible); "Just keep walking preacher man!"

Packing heat
    ;
    I'm informed that Zoe's cut down carbine is referred to as a 'mare's leg', possibly because of it's kick? Stitch has a sawn-off Remmington shotgun.

Kinky dinky;
    Simon finally tells Kaylee that she's pretty and they get all snuggly over 'mudders milk' (nice pun).

Notches on the Serenity bedpost
    ; Jayne possibly sleeps with the barmaid but unconfirmed. Inara has another paying customer.

Inarra;2- 2 paying customers, 1 possible, Atherton.
    Wash; 1-the missus
    Zoe; 1-the hubby
    Jayne; 1 possible, Jaynestown groupie.

Capt subtext
    ;
    I thought that the toppling of the Jayne statue was actually a comment about the similar destruction of Saddams statue during the liberation of Iraq but that actually happened afterwards (much as The Initiative on Buffy was very Guantanamo Bay but also occured beforehand)

Total Serenity crew; 9
    Mal, Zoe, Jayne, Wash, Kaylee, Inarra, Book, Simon, River

Subverting the Hollywood cliche;
    Big tough Jayne whimpers as he pulls the surgical tape off his skin

Whedon cliches
    ;
    Devoted siblings, haunted charismatic leading man. Teenage girls with superpowers. Hookers. Babbling insane girls with truth in their madness. Fake cockneys. Misguided religious zealots. Numbered t-shirts. Girls with botanical names (Willow, Saffron, Jasmine). Absent/overbearing fathers.

Bondage
    ;
    Mal; 1
    River; 1

Knocked out
    ;
    Book; 2
    Simon; 1
    Kaylee; 1
    Jayne;1
    Mal; 1
    Wash; 1
    Inara; 1

Women good/men bad
    ;
    Really like Inara's 'what makes a man' speech to her client. Not so fond of Jayne casually tossing his groupie aside the next morning with only a goodbye spank of her ass.

Kills
    ; Jayne kills Stitch
    Mal; 11-
    Zoe; 6-
    Jayne; 7-

Happy high-class hookers in Space
    ;
    Inara kisses on the mouth. Her guild gives her enough leeway to reject her clients father if she'd wished to but she seems genuinely fond of the son. Ceremony plays an almost more important part for her in her work than the sex.

Know the face?
    Kevin Gage who plays Stitch essentially recreates his role of the odious Waingrow in the wonderful Michael Mann film 'Heat', best cops and robbers story off all time.

Whedon alumni- Joss likes to reuse the same actors in his series, let's count up their appearances (let me know if I miss any)
    1. Nathan Fillon-3; Firefly, Caleb in S7 of Buffy and Dr Horrible
    2. Gina Torres-2; Firefly and Jasmine in S4 of Angel
    3. Alan Tudyk-2; Firefly and the villainous/heroic(?) Alpha in Dollhouse (haven't seen season 2 so don't spoil it for me)
    4. Adam Baldwin-2; Firefly and Marcus Hamilton in S5 of Angel
    5. Summer Glau-3; Firefly, Dollhouse and the prima ballerina in the LEGENDARY S4 Angel ep 'Waiting in the wings'.
    6. Carlos Jacott-3; The Fed in Firefly, Ken in the 'Anne' ep of Buffy and Richard Straley in 'The Bachelor Party' ep of Angel.
    7. Andy Umberger;3-the captain of the Dortmunder in Firefly, D'Hoffryn in Buffy, the psychic surgeon in the Angel ep 'I fall to pieces'.
    8. Mark Shepherd;2-Badger in Firefly and later turns up as one of Ballard's FBI colleagues in Dollhouse. Also a BSG alumni.
    9. Jeff Rickets;3- one of the blue handed men in Firefly and Weatherby on Buffy/Angel plus the spiderdemon at the end of Angel season 4
    10. Gregg Henry; 2- he's one of those faces that occur time and again in TV/movies, the Sherrif in The Train Job and he later recurrs in the Dollhouse ep 'Ghost', one of my favourite eps of season 1.
    11. Christina Hendricks; 2-Saffron in Firefly and a bar maid in the Angel ep 'The Prodigal'. She'll later star in Mad Men with Whedonverse alumni Vincent Kartheiser.
    12. Jack Jabaley; 2-the bartender here and Xander's friend Tito the Plumber from Buffy.

Firefly speak;
    Gorram=goddam.
    Weak tea=not good
    Back birth=idiot
    Companion=high class courtesan
    Gengish=competent
    Doh-ma=understand/understood?
    Rutting=bloody (or perhaps 'fraking'?)
    Chin-cha-da=hell
    Purple belly=officious bureaucrat
    Ta-gow=Oh god!
    Won-gwa-pee= to urinate or defecate
    Gosa=excrement
    Tien-sha-duh=rubbish
    Los-soh-ret=crap
    Dien-dyododo-chowen=bastard
    Wah=what the hell?
    Mah song=quickly
    Jin-seen-yung=idiot
    Nu-shu-quong=nice going

Shot; .
    Mal; 1-
    Kaylee;1-
    Jayne;1-
    Book;1-

Crew injured;

Simon gets roughed up AGAIN! He's beginning to remind me of Joxer the Mighty. As Kaylee observes "You got to be steeley, can't let men be stomping in you so much"

Reminds me off;
    Bare chested Jayne reminds me off the late Kevin Smith playing Ares in Xena. River sounds very like Fred when she starts talking physics when rewriting the bible. Book with his hair down reminds me of an Afro-American Albert Einstein. 'You fought the law' may refer to the song by The Clash. Mal's remark about the Mudder's Jayne fixation being about what they need as opposed to reality is reminiscent of the Dollhouse's philosophy.

Questions and observations;
    So, beer was intended to keep the masses down? I wonder what went wrong? Surely Stitch can't have been wholly in the box for 4 years, his muscles would have atrophied until he couldn't walk and no one would be able to stand the stench to realease him. A town so backward they don't even know what a menu is, Simon really is in hell. He comes off the ship and starts really participating in their crime for the first time. Interestingly Zoe is left behind and Mal takes Wash with him, maybe because there's not going to be any gunplay in Canton. Jayne starts to develop a conscience, he and Mal beginning to bond again in the final scene. Stitch is one tough hombre to keep fighting with a Bowie knife in his chest (take that Deadliest Warrior who said the stiletto was better).
    Magistrate Higgins got what he wanted, his son is now a real man, standing up to his overbearing father.
    Marks out of 10;
    8 out of 10, fairly lightweight but truly very, very funny episode with a Jayne brought to the fore for the first time and some absolutely killer lines.
    [/FONT]

12. Trekker4747

The writers do likely know how their fictional weapons that only exsist in the future work.

Despite what the prop gun is in the real world what it is in the context of the show is entirely different. Unless McCoy really did repair Chekov's artery with a piece from an AMT model of a Klingon battle cruiser and the Mr. Fusion energy device on the DeLorean is really a coffee grinder.

13. Trekker4747

:headdesk:

14. saturn5

Eh?

15. Trekker4747

You tell me:

I'd also say the " " thing is just clutter but, feh, whatever. I give up. You're about to get into some of the best episodes this series has to offer and, well, I don't care. You're halfway through this series and I've no bead on your feelings on it, what your real opinions are on the series and your thoughts on each episode. I do know that Jack Jabaley has been used twice in Whedon's body of work so there's that... I guess.

16. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

:rolleyes:

17. Trekker4747

What, you're looking at a 21st century prop gun, taking your knowledge of 20th/21st century fire-arms and trying to draw a conclusion. But it's sort-of foolish to do it because Vera isn't a 20th/21st century gun! The prop might be built using prop-guns of 20th century weapons but Vera, the gun in the Firefly universe exsists hundreds of years in the future. We've no idea how the guns of the future look, work or how they can work/not work in a vacuum.

You're looking at a prop of a 20th century gun and trying to say how a 24/25th century gun should work. I could do the same thing with Chekov's brain-fixer. "Hey! What, did the medical technology makers stumble across some old moel-kits of a Klingon battlecruiser?! Didn't they find it odd that these things exsisted centuries before Klingons were known about?!"

"Hey! Does Mr. Fusion work by grinding up the trash into a really fine powder and then make the energy by filtering hot water through it?"

It makes as much sense. We don't know how Vera works or how any of the guns in Firefly work. They're 25th century weapons being represented by 21st century props.

I doubt the "Mule" is "really" an ATV from 20th century Earth either.

18. saturn5

Not going to fight with anyone as life is too short but at the risk of demonstrating my technological ignorance WHAT IS A FONT TAG!?

I think I made my opinions on this extremely funny ep abundantly clear?

19. Trekker4747

See the tag you put at the front (and the end) of your post that says "[FONT=Arial]" ("[FONT=TIMES ROMAN]" in the other posts) that's a "Font Tag" (similar to the Italics, Bold and Underline tags used in a post to italicize, bolden and underline text) and it doesn't work in this forum. So it's just more clutter.

Your opinions on this episode are clear, a bit more clear than in the other reviews but still not very deep the reviews are still very bogged down in numbers and statistics. It's as if a Sports Reporter was talking about a game and instead of writting a 1,000-word report on what happened during the game, how he thought everyone played, where he thought the team went wrong he just wrote a couple of paragrpahs and then threw a bunch of numbers out there.

Your "reviews" are dragged down by the statistics and numbers.

20. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Since he doesn't know what a font tag is, I suspect the tag is a carry-over from whatever program he's cutting-and-pasting from.