How Would You Spend Your Lottery Winnings?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by 2takesfrakes, Aug 7, 2014.

1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh yes I know all about the cheapness and horridness of Queenstown..

2. MANT!

MANT! Vice Admiral Admiral

Well it all depends upon the amount of the win,
    single digit millions-- pay off bills and set up for retirement..then help family and friends..

double digit millions-- same as above..except for living on an ocean liner and go round the world as many times as possible..

triple digit millions--same as the above two except for (if I could afford it with the proceeds left over) have the Russians boost my happy ass around the moon as a tourist
    http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/08/0810_050810_moontrip.html

3. wulfio

wulfio Captain Captain

Niagara belt region in Ontario.

multi family homes can range from $250000-$300000 providing you with $24000-$36000 in gross income annually per house. 20% down on 20 homes = $50000-$60000 per house. $1 mill - $1.2 mill down. with $1 mill-$800k for upgrades. Instantly build another $60k-$100k in equity per house. In other words, another $1.2 mill-$2 mill in equity to play around with. With that sort of money I'd likely build a storage facility. With an average 80% occupancy rate those storage facilities usually yield around $500k annual income.

So you have a residual annual gross income of $600k +/- per year and then you have $1.5 mill +/- in equity to invest in other things. Outside of the most expensive markets in Canada, this is very common in Canada. There's actually a lot cheaper than the 250k I mentioned. Any small town/city with a major university or blue collar economy can pump out massive profits. I imagine it's quite similar in the US too if you're not buying in places like New York or LA, etc.

It takes money to make money. But if I got $2 mill I could turn that in to a >$1 mill annual income in < 5 years.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
  4. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

I would pay off my dad's house and give him enough to live on. Then buy a small condo to own and live in and sit on the rest and use it for bills and paying off debt.

If I am still with my current bf and he agreed, I would go spend a year or two in England once all of my debt was paid.

5. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Assuming it is in the $100+ millions range:

1. Pay off my bills

2. Purchase a large piece of land (50-100 acres)

3. Build a nice(r) home in the country

4. Build a home for each of my family members

5. Pay each family member's bills

6. TRAVEL, TRAVEL, TRAVEL The world is my playground.

7. Give to my favorite charities (I have a select few which I've already checked out.)

8. Give Anthony a heart attack by paying for TrekBBS expenses for a year!

6. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

7. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master Admiral Admiral

I'm thinking basement filled with classic arcade games...

8. Sector 7

I like the way you think! Don't forget classic pinball, too.:techman:

9. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master Admiral Admiral

Oh of course. Some air hockey tables, and one of those 8 seater Daytona 500 racing games.

I would show Disney Quest how to do it the right way.

10. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

In this order...

1) Pay off my student loans (and assorted other debts)
    2) Pay off my friends' student loans
    3) Buy the house I am currently living in from my landlord (he's been trying for the last two years)
    4) Buy a way better house and move into it
    5) Fix up the house I am currently living in and start renting it to college kids (this is already my plan)
    6) If they're willing to sell it, I would buy the brewery where I currently work from the owners who, quite frankly, are too old and out of touch with the world to know what they're doing
    7) Go on vacation

After that, who knows?

11. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Assuming we're talking about a handful of millions here (maybe more than 5, but no more than 10), I'd first pay off all my debts, possibly by a house (but I may hold off on that), and immediately consult a financial advisor about investing the rest with the intention of living off the returns.

12. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd get our house completely renovated, adding the wintergarden my mom dreams of. And I'd buy the little house in the neighbourhood that has been standing empty for a few months now, modernize it and move in. And I'd tear away all that ugly concrete pavement and restore the pretty little garden it once had =) And then I'd live there happily ever after, once I got pensioned off.
    Hmm, and maybe I'd buy a car.

13. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I'd settle for publiusr's clearing house

14. Sector 7

Yes, a couple million up front and a nice, steady income for life.:techman:

I have always said that I'd take the annual payouts vs. lump sum prize on the lottery.

15. EnriqueH

EnriqueH Commodore Commodore

1) Hire a lawyer and accountant for protection, make some investments.

2) Buy a row of 3 homes on the same block, so my family can be close by.

3) Buy a summer home. I haven't decided if it would be in the Florida Keys, the Bahamas, California or New York City. I'm kinda leaning towards NYC or California because I already live in the tropics.

4) I'd like to start a charity of some kind to help people in need. I would do some volunteer work.

5) In my new home, I'd love to have a library for my books and a nice chair to sit in. I'd also love a room for a home theater, complete with theater like chairs.

6) Travel, travel, travel.

16. Smellincoffee

Smellincoffee Commodore Commodore

Pay off student loans and the homes of my parents and sister, put some dough aside in trust for my niece and nephew's education, acquire a few acres and build a little country cabin, become a happy hobby-farmer.

17. Gil T.Azell

Gil T.Azell Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd buy a nice moderate house (Around here a single family goes for $576,000 in December and January), this is why I cant afford it on my salary.

invest, and help my brother and sister out abit.
    charities such as BCCH, Queen Alexandria Children's Hospital, etc.
    May have a Charlie Sheen night with out the Blow :devil:

18. Taylirious

Taylirious Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Charity, investments, savings, house, car, stuff I need & fund a creative passion.

Oh & a PONY!!! :D