24: Live Another Day. Discussion Thread. (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Trekker4747, May 4, 2014.

1. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Yeah, that was probably the first season that just went over the top with plot within a plot within a plot nonsense, to the point where it sounds like the evil mastermind may have been a retarded 4 year old. And several of the 'distraction' plots would have made better attacks than the overall final plan, so not sure where they were going there. And one of those things where all the wheels have to be in motion at the same time, and any one failing means that the ones after it are screwed before they start, so just dumb.

After that, they just WENT with the dumb, and tried to up the stakes every time. Season 4, although entertaining, was where it went full retard the first time...

2. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

And his actual endgame would've caused a lot less damage and chaos to the country than if he had actually just let every single nuclear power plant go off. Especially when you look at how quickly a nuke going off in Los Angeles was forgotten in season 6. :lol:

3. Marten

Marten Captain Captain

Wasn't the room where Heller adressed parliament a little underwhelming? It's just a room with a lot of chairs, that looks rather temporary. Rather small, as well. I'd guess there are production reasons for not using a copy of the Commons chamber, but it still seemd a little odd.

Otherwise, I liked the episode. Jack creating a riot just to get into the embassy was really fun. And not at all worsening the diplomatic relations.

4. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

"They're shooting at us!"

*shoots people in the leg*

Lol

5. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Good episode, and so far Live Another Day is off to a good Start. It's no Orphan Black, but it's what I have come to expect from 24. I wish we had more quiet scenes like the one with Chloe and Jack in he car. It's been 4 years since we've seen these characters and so far been plot first pretty much. Also I don't watch Game of Thrones anymore, (stopped after season 2) but that Marggo character screams so much of Catlyn Stark that it's a little distracting. :guffaw:

Anyway, glad I decided to watch this season.

6. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I laughed out loud when Jack started shooting innocent protestors :lol:

I thought he would just fire his gun in the air or something!!!

7. inflatabledalek

inflatabledalek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, one of the protesters was slightly rude to Jack when he barged past them, that's never a good idea.

I was confused if that was actually supposed to be the Houses of Common or if speeches like this are just normally given with everyone shuffling off to a different room. I would guess in real life it would be the former (especially if they were in session), but whilst they said repeatedly he was going to be addressing parliament I don't think they ever firmly said where he was addressing them (there wasn't even a decent establishing shot of the building), no mention of the House at all.

Considering the show generally got everything else right, and that there must be at least one decent standing set of the chambers somewhere in the UK, I wonder if they weren't able to get permission to film outside Westminster and just decided to fudge where the meeting is happening?

Not as solid as the first two, but still a nice solid episode with a decent fast pace. The CIA chief really needs to make up his mind what his character is though- First he puts Kate back on the job (over the objections of the male agent) because she can get things done in an unconventional way(and also has a small blackmail hold over him). Then when she's getting somewhere he calls her team back. Then when he finds out she disobeyed his orders... he says OK and sends her on to the embassy. Very much a flim flam character. No wonder most of us in this thread keep saying CTU, they seem to hire their bosses from the same shallow end of the gene pool.

Highlight for me? I have used some of the same tube stations as Jack Bauer! That makes me nearly as cool as him.

And one thought I had, isn't nice to have a show that's basically got a main cast of two (if you view all the other people that come and go over the seasons as recurring guest stars and short lived regulars) who are a man and a woman with no romantic interest between them at all? Obviously that wasn't what they were intending when Chloe was introduced all those years ago, but it's really great to see a series with that strong bond of friendship between different genders without trying to do a "Will they?/Won't they?" thing.

8. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

So if you're rude, Jack Bauer will shoot you and Hannibal Lecter will turn you into a dinner?

9. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I haven't see the ep yet, but... only MPs can speak in Parliament itself. If he was being questioned as a witness by a parliamentary committee then the smaller sideroom would be about right. Small as in large enough for a dozen MPs, the witness, aides, lawyers for them all, plus press and public. Maybe 100 odd or so.

Last edited: May 15, 2014
  10. inflatabledalek

inflatabledalek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Ah, cool, it is accurate then. It did however look more like a school assembly than the seat of government.

11. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Margo is using the drones to target all the Lannisters in England;)

12. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

I laughed out loud when this happened as well. I wonder what that says about us. :lol: It was just so absurd, no hesitation on his part, just starts shooting randomly and running at the gate. Looks back and sees blonde CIA lady, then turns around and keeps running with the pack of people rushing in. It was all just so ridiculously hilarious!

This is why I love 24.

13. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

It was the same setup as when Obama addressed parliament, probably very deliberately. How parliament, apparently all of it, gathered on about 30 minutes notice we can chalk up to 24 wormholes!

The gun Jack used to shoot the protesters- did I see it right that he took it off the cop? Because that's ridiculous. Britain, remember?!

Last edited: May 15, 2014
  14. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

But it's Britain... OF THE FUTURE!!!

15. Brolan

Brolan Commodore Commodore

Britain has Armed Police units. Is it so farfetched that one of them was guarding the US Embassy?

16. Base_Delta_Zero

Base_Delta_Zero Commodore Commodore

I like how Guy de Rochefort seemingly just fucks with Jack because, hey, asshole. He knows Jack is hunting down terrorists intent on triggering WWIII by bombing downtown London to kill the US President...so he switches the badge ID numbers to get Jack arrested, foiling any chance to stop the plot. Is he a villain? No, no, no. This is 24. He's just a dick.

I keep hoping Jack ends up having to torture him for info, pulls out a knife, and Guy goes all badass and suggests a spoon instead, he's heard it'll hurt more.

I'm liking the Sam Fisher takedowns Jack is forced to use, since he can't just shoot everyone in his way. And he's still rocking the manpurse. Props.

It might be nice if Jack had to work with British intel at some point, since he's in their country and all...or OH! OH! Have him hook up with some Palace Guardsmen with their bearskin hats and redcoats!

17. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

While the Met do have armed officers, they are very recognisable from their different uniform and kit, and their weapons are visibly displayed not hidden in a belt holster. The most significant thing about this scene though that makes this so unlikely is that there is a big protest/disorder going on. Guns would never be introduced to a situation like that - for exactly the reason we saw here, the risk of being disarmed. And what are the cops going to do with them, shoot the protesters?

18. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

^^

Shoot them in the leg indiscriminately, perhaps?

19. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Right now, terrorists are plotting the assassination of an American President, and if history is any indicator they've got a lot more planned after that as well. Back-up plans upon back-up plans and Lord knows what else. I've managed to break into a heavily secured US embassy by shooting some innocent civilians. It was great. And you'd think by now I would have learned not to trust people who've not earned it. Trust doesn't come easy by me, Jack Bauer, especially on today; the longest day of my life.

The following takes place between 2:00PM and 3:00PM.

Events occur in real time, sorta.

20. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

I'm really enjoying this show far. This was my first foray into the world of 24 and it got me hooked. I enjoyed the first two episodes so much I went and purchased season 1 and am working my way through it right now (I'm up to episode 10).