Star Trek Continues "Pilgrim of Eternity"

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by GSchnitzer, May 25, 2013.

1. MarsWeeps

MarsWeeps Fleet Captain Premium Member

Exactly! It made me wonder if Kirk was going to ask for a vote if he had to go to the bathroom!

I disagree. The word "consensus" has no place in Kirk's vocabulary. It doesn't matter where the meetings took place, they used that word far too many times in this episode.

For example, in The Corbomite Maneuver, when the Enterprise is blocked by the giant space cube, we have this dialogue between Bailey and Kirk:

BAILEY: Sir, we going to just let it hold us here? We've got phaser weapons. I vote we blast it.
    KIRK: I'll keep that in mind, Mister Bailey, when this becomes a democracy.

That's the Kirk that I know and I hope future episodes reflect that.

2. The Transformed Man

The Transformed Man Commander Red Shirt

Well I would normally agree that "consensus" is probably a word that I would not have used in the script, but to suggest Kirk never sought out opinions or tried to come to some form of compromise throughout the series is a little misinformed. He still sought out advise whether he took it or not.

“One of the advantages of being a captain, Doctor, is being able to ask for advice without necessarily having to take it.”

In episode like "Conscience of the King," Kirk is at a virtual moral stand still not 100% sure how to proceed while McCoy argues that a man's life is at stake, meanwhile Spock argues that Karidian is Kodos and must face justice. Spock and McCoy were frequently the sounding boards of Kirk's conscience with McCoy advocating the more compassionate route, and Spock arguing with logic.

However, I would agree that "consensus" is a little strong.

Yancy

3. MarsWeeps

MarsWeeps Fleet Captain Premium Member

I never suggested such a thing, as I stated in my first post in this thread. Sure, he would ask for suggestions but wouldn't have meeting after meeting trying to reach a "consensus" before he made a decision. This episode almost reminded me of "The Enemy Within" where the "weak" half of Kirk pleaded with Spock and McCoy: "Help me. Somebody make the decision."

4. Jay

Jay Commander Red Shirt

I thought it was a good effort but felt like a TNG script with TOS sets. Michael Forrest's acting was a bit too good for the rest of the cast. I know Vic and Todd are voice actors but that doesn't make them great stage/TV actors. They were okay but more Daytime TV soap quality than primetime TV quality.

5. DCR

DCR Commander Red Shirt

That was my biggest gripe with the holodeck scene. Admittedly I haven't seen many of the animated episodes in 35 years or so, so I forgot its provenance, but I would have been a lot more comfortable with that scene if it had a purpose in the context of the story.

6. DCR

DCR Commander Red Shirt

Actually, when you consider that Forest was playing Apollo - and all that means - his acting being that much better almost makes sense in the context of the story: he's a god amongst humanity and the more polished performance shows the finer nature of divinity.

...Or something like that...

7. FatherRob

FatherRob Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I found myself completely enjoying this outing, and have highly recommended it to friends. While a lot of the criticism is valid, I just enjoyed the daylights out of this episode - the best new filmed Trek I have seen this month.

8. Zeppster

Zeppster Commodore Commodore

Really solid start. Not near as good as some of the better STP2 efforts so far. There are some pacing issues, and a bit of a confusing plot. But overall pretty solid.

9. OpenMaw

OpenMaw Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This is fantastic work by everyone involved. Most of the acting, the editing, the pace, the writing. It was all very solid, and thankfully it avoided most of the traps that many promising fan productions fall into - fan wank. It didn't feel compelled to reference a million Trek things. It chose a story, and it told it. For better or worse.

My top criticism was, I feel, that someone in the main cast should have been proactive in the final act instead of, essentially, everyone just being along for the ride.

As far as performances are considered, Sulu was a bit of a weak link at times. I say over the next couple of episodes have him move away from his Takei impersonation and just act naturally.

McCoy was slightly off putting at first, but I think that may just be a matter of not being used to the actor in the role.

Stand out would definitely have to be Scotty. Scotty lives.

10. Shane Houston

Shane Houston Commander Red Shirt

I think the story was great. But the poor acting in the characters of Sulu and Dr. McCoy brought me out of the story to much. The sets looked great and the effects were good.

I'm just wondering if we're going to be getting TOS fatigue now that we have JJ TOS, Phase II TOS, and now this TOS. Not to mention the numerous other prequels or same era fan films. I'm not complaining by any means, these efforts, by the most part, are done from the heart, but how many men will it take playing Kirk when people finally say enough is enough and watch something else.

That's why Intrepid is my favorite fan film, because of it's unique story lines set in the TNG era. Me personally, I'm tired of the TOS Kirk era stories.

11. DCR

DCR Commander Red Shirt

I think that's a valid complaint, even though I don't share it. However, I do think TOS-era, whether with the original crew or not, is here to stay.

The big draw for me is the physical sets, which are very common in TOS-era fan films, and very rare in TNG-era films. With the sterling exception of Intrepid, most of the TNG-era stuff I've seen has been very bad green-screen work, and that just doesn't draw me.

I'll keep watching as long as they keep making.

12. Zeppster

Zeppster Commodore Commodore

The problem with doing a TNG era fan series is pretty much economics. The sets in the TNG era were bigger and more expensive to maintain and there were more of them. These are all fans that are doing these projects and they don't have access to large production studios for the most part. TOS era has fewer sets and smaller sets. Not that it's cheap by any means either. STP2 tries to produce 2 films a year and in 10 years has only released 7 episodes to date. Really 6 stories with one being 2 parts.

13. igrokbok

igrokbok Commodore Commodore

Thoroughly enjoyed this. As always, in these type productions, the acting is the weak link, but still solid efforts from all involved. And what a treat to see Michael Forrest again! My main problems lie with Spock and McCoy. Kirk seems too old, and it's weird trying to warm up to his Shatner impression...but I did warm up. Not so much with Spock...way too young...and McCoy, mugging too much for the camera. I'm sure experience will only help, but I'm sorry they didn't seek out more polished actors from the get-go. production wise, this was gorgeous....from the lighting to the sound to the editing and music...to the best looking CGI Enterprise I believe I've ever seen. Outstanding job by all who made this look like it jumped off the shelf at NBC. One little gripe...why weren't any of the consoles lit? All those nice colored ice-tray buttons should have been backlit. A real shame to take the set that far and not complete then effect. But all in all, great fun, well done and I look forward to episode 2! :techman:

14. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Last edited: May 29, 2013
  15. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re: TOS continues...

Only 7 minutes in, but already has a very "TOS"-ish feel to it.

16. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Watching the new actors was a tad jarring, but I gradually got into it. Scotty is almost note perfect.

Last edited: May 30, 2013
  17. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

It was Doohan's son, so... :)

18. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This response is probably best suited to Fan Productions, but....

I was impressed and enjoyed most of the cast a great deal. I'm just not sold on Larry Nemecek as McCoy and I'm not nuts about Grant Imahara as Sulu, but, like all the fan films, I expect they'll grow with each performance. Nobody embarrassed themselves.

Chris Doohan, duh, is like a clone of his dad. He was 3rd season Scotty 100% and his being there really made me feel like I was watching a fourth season episode. I just wish the writers of these things would resist the urge to give Scotty lines of the "all right, we beastie, time to ring the dinner bell" dialog when he's working on saving the day in the Jeffrie's tube. Phase 2 did that also and it pulls me right out of it. I'd rather have him muttering the old classic Scottish swearing.

Vic Mignogna - a great Kirk, with just enough confidence to keep Kirk from swaggering. I saw little to no actual Shatner impersonation, which was great. He lived the spirit of the character.

Todd Haberkorn nailed Spock, easily my favorite fan Spock.

Kim Stinger was great in New Voyages/Phase 2 and she's still great. And gorgeous.

While I'm not thrilled with a counselor this early in Trek history, Michele Specht did really well with a limited (so far) role. And she's is drop dead gorgeous. I'm a fan now.

Michael Forest brought real dignity to the role. The hair/no hair thing was initially confusing and reminded me Lazarus and his beard, but once I got it (I'm slow sometimes), I dig it.

The holodeck idea originated in TAS (Doug Drexler as Paladin!), so I was okay with it here. Just please, never use it again! :)

What really sold me on this wasn't only the actors and the fine story, but the cinematography. Case in point, Apollo hoists Kirk in to the air, holds him there and we dollop in to a fade. Simply, effective, and very TREK.

Jamie Bamber! Marina Sirtis as the computer voice!

I liked this a lot and for a first run out of the gate, truly amazing. I'm going to love this influx of classic Trek between these guys and Phase 2.

19. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Some cast performance observations.

Overall I thought they quite good. I think Kirk and McCoy and Sulu could reign it in just a wee bit while Spock could use a bit more nuance. But it's their first outing and so Bravo to them.

I'm curious as to whether they'll develop the Elise McKenna character. I thought she was cute and distinctive enough.

20. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I just wrote these folks a letter of appreciation. They not only made Star Trek fun again they did it with a certain sensibility and depth of feeling. It's the best fan production I've ever seen and I think they deserve appreciation and encouragement.

http://www.startrekcontinues.com