Lost Girl season 4

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JanewayRulz!, Nov 9, 2013.

1. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Yeah, and that reached its crisis point in the last episode, so that's something else they need to fix-- next season if not in this season finale.

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I hadn't really noticed, but thinking back I realize now that you're right.

3. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

Just 2... no make that three things. :sigh:

1) I officially have no idea what went on this season. :shrug:

2) I agree with the final WTF title card :brickwall: after the credits ran tonight.

3) I really preferred the season 3 finale of XENA Warrior Princess: Sacrifice II ( and I assume the season 4 premiere of same) to this LG 4 re-imaging. :eek:

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Yeah, this whole season was incoherent. I couldn't figure out what was going on half the time. It's like they skipped over a bunch of episodes or scenes within episodes that would've told us what was going on.

Like the whole Rainer thing. I didn't understand what the deal was with him, and I hoped it was building to something that would make it clear, but instead they just killed him off and I never understood why he was there in the first place. And the identity and motives of the Big Bad this season were never clear, since he's just been this offscreen gray eminence and there was nobody to actually confront except this Massimo, who I never quite figured out and who was never very impressive as an antagonist (and what was with him suddenly doing a Gollum impression in that scene with Lauren?). And what books were they researching that led Kenzi to become convinced she had to sacrifice herself? That just came out of nowhere. Everything plot-related this season has just been so vague and telegraphic.

And that final battle against the zombie horde was awful in execution. For some reason, these vicious revenants supposedly attacking the heroes were actually just shambling around in the background and half-heartedly wrestling with each other, so that the main characters could just stand around having long conversations in the middle of a battlefield, and Kenzi could just walk through the whole thing and step into the portal and scuttle the villain's plans without any of the villain's minions making the slightest attempt to stop her. It was laughably incompetent and robbed the scene of any trace of drama or impact.

I don't even know why I'm still watching the show at this point. It doesn't even have the same level of sex appeal it used to -- there's more talking about sex than actually showing it. I think the only time Anna Silk took off her clothes this whole season was in the flashback episode where she was really Dyson. Here, when Bo and Tamsin were talking about how Bo needed to heal and recharge before the battle, I thought that was a setup for a love scene between them, and in earlier seasons it would've been; but here Bo just sucked some chi from Tamsin without even touching her (making Dyson's subtle jealous reaction when she told him afterward seem incongruous). I could live with the writing being bad if the show were at least trashy enough to be entertaining, but it doesn't even have that going for it now. I still like the cast, but they're being given nothing to work with.

5. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Megadittos to everything you just said...

6. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

Yeah, this season was a whole lot of nothing. Rainer's plot-lines in particular were ridiculously pointless and convoluted.

I actually thought it was kind of funny in a head-banging-against-the-wall way. The director obviously had no idea what he was supposed to do with that script.

7. JanewayRulz!

Yeah, when Dyson complained to Tamsin that there were only two of them to fight the horde, then Trick said "three", I thought Gee... all they had to do was stand in front of the doorway and pick each zombie off one at a time and they'd be more than enough.

So I'm not the only one who was wondering what scenes they missed while watching this ep? I assumed it was due to the 2 eps I missed early on and last month, but if others are discussing gaping plot holes, then maybe it was "writer" induced.

ETA: What was the necklace that Bo put on when she went after Lauren and what was the necklace Bo carried and pulled out whenever she thought about Kenzi?

Was I the only one that groaned at the WTF title card at the end of the show?

8. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

Did anybody else laugh at the bit near the end when they tried to proclaim that Rainer always knew Kensei would have to sacrifice herself? I can only assume the writers had to get rid of the actor on short-notice because the guy never came across as a 'master strategist' or having the least modicum of awareness let-alone 'magical foresight.'

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

While it wasn't enough to ruin the show for me, this was definitely the weakest season yet. I'm just glad to know I'm not the only one who was having trouble figuring out what the hell was going on.
    Definitely agree that the battle was laughable. It kind of cracked me up when they were just kind of standing there and randomly swinging their weapons off screen. It was like they weren't even trying to bother making it convincing.

10. RJDiogenes

Night of the Keystone Zombies. :rommie:

I gave up on trying to make sense of this season about halfway through. It's just an acid trip. You sit there and watch and enjoy until it's over.

I'm glad there's another season coming up, though. It's a fun show with a good cast. And you know they're going to go to Valhalla and bring back Kenzie, so that should be cool-- and hopefully they'll grab Hale on the way.

11. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    Although, in fairness, Trick has always been cagey when it comes to stuff dealing with Bo's past or future. He's usually at his best when helping out Bo, Dyson, & Kenzi with the stand-alone case-of-the-week and we got so little of that this season. Heck, 2 of Kenzi's biggest cases were the ones that she did without Bo in "In Memorium" & "Waves."

Agreed. It feels like it was a 22-episode season where all of the good episodes were lost in a fire and we were just left with all of the weak arc episodes and shitty filler episodes.

Agreed. Why has there been almost no Bo/Tamsin development this season? Is Anna Silk more prudish now that she's a mother? Or has the show's budget been slashed to the point where they can't afford sex scenes or competant writers?

12. Christopher

Well, considering that she spent at least half the season in outfits that included corsets, there may have been concerns about her getting back in shape post-pregnancy. Though she certainly seemed to be back in fine form in her scene with Lauren-as-Flora, assuming that wasn't a body double.

13. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    I was wondering about that too. But even then, there wasn't even enough fully-clothed-making-out-leading-to-implied-sex. We got a couple of decent Bo/Dyson scenes. So why was Bo/Tamsin at such a stand still?

No, because they pronounce them almost exactly the same.

14. Christopher

Funny, I would've thought "Reynard" would be emphasized on the second syllable, like its variant Renard.

15. JanewayRulz!

Bo/Tamsin development?

Heck, I would have been satisfied with TPTB showing us the Bo/Rainer development. I still don't understand where that came from, why she was so enthralled in him to the point she basically tossed Bo & Lauren and KENZI to the side.

Speaking of things I don't understand... (Yes, they ARE legion!) why could Bo kill the Una Mens (sp?)but have trouble with Massimo who subsumed their powers? :confused:

16. RJDiogenes

Maybe because their powers were divided among several people? Maybe because Rainer was there with her? Maybe the Una Mens were complacent and Massimo was a psycho? Maybe we just shouldn't ask questions. :rommie:

Anyway, I don't know how much truth there is to it, but I heard a rumor that Kenzie actually won't be back next season. :(

17. JanewayRulz!

Re: Rumors.

Well, I saw an article showing who signed on for next year and her name wasn't among the actors HOWEVER I should remind you that the premiere of season 4's Xena Warrior Princess didn't even list Renee in the credits. I assume to hype the possibility that her character truly was dead.

Since Kenzi claimed she'll wait in Valahalla for Bo to save her (see SHE obviously watched XWP and knows how this story will end) I assume that means the actress will be in the season "somewhere/somewhen".

18. RJDiogenes

I hope so. Producers are aware that fans keep track of things like contracts, so that could very well be true.

19. JanewayRulz!

Here's a decent article on Lost Girl's 5th season. Slight spoilers within, so read at your own discretion.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/04/08/lost-girl-season-5-charisma-carpenter_n_5113340.html

The one thing it said that make me go "HUH?" now that I've seen season 5 was how LG was named fan fav series in Canada this year. :cardie:

I think the Canadian fans were DEFINATELY grading on a curve this year. ;)

The other thing that made me :rolleyes: in retrospect, was wondering why Bo was kneeling at Kenzi's graveside, telling her about how they buried Rainer near some ancient battlefield as if she'd care, and of course that Bo would somehow bring Kenzi back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otywFuvVvg4

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otywFuvVvg4[/yt]

You know, if Bo brings RANIER back too, I might just have to stop watching this show. :p

20. RJDiogenes

Was she telling Kenzie about Ranier, or was that just a voice over?

I really hope they don't bring Ranier back. He was pretty boring.