The Defiance Thread - News about the Show and Game

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by PlainSimpleJoel, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm sure Shelly guilted Holling into marriage before she got knocked up.

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just looked it up and he was 44 years older than her.

3. Guy Gardener

You don't remember the age issue with those two?

Men in Holling's family had an average life expectancy of 120 years.

Mutants.

Odd's are that she was going to buy the farm before she turned 60.

Shelly wasn't young enough to live happily ever after with her true love.

Although she did have a thing for older guys.

The astronaut picked her up at a beauty pageant, then brought her to town as a trophy which Maurice fumbled.

4. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's become so common place on TV shows these days that I don't even bother to comment on it anymore. Though this week's stuck out since that cover of Have You Ever Seen the Rain is terrible compared to the original. I did like the end of The Serpent's Egg where they at least tied the montage into the story with having the song played on the radio station.

Although, if they insist on ending each episode with montages I think I'd prefer if they used original pieces of music. They have Bear McCreary doing music for the show, utilize the talent.

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^I'd prefer original instrumental music to pop songs, certainly, but I'd prefer dialogue to weekly montages.

6. Guy Gardener

I know almost nothing about music.

It all sounds like like original music to me, and I can't be the only one to be this ignorant.

7. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

Maybe they are trying to dodge the nuBSG sound. I dunno, I kinda like the use of old pop songs. Really, If I have a nitpick-what the hell is Datak driving a 60's Lincoln around for? I mean-where are they finding these antiques? They raid the Imperial Palace museum in Vegas?

8. Guy Gardener

I'm thinking that "newer" cars either can't be converted to the new fuel source, or newer cars are so shittily made that they're falling apart dead after 30 years, when the cars from 60 years ago are perfectly fine since they were built like tanks to survive forever.

Seriously all this onboard computer shit with "new" cars is not post-apocalypse friendly.

Now lets consider mechanics (greasemonkeys).

Newer cars are harder to fix, that it's probably easier to turn new cars into a houses rather than spending an extra 15 years at a technical college that doesn't exist to fathom all that wiring and fluff.

Also, patents don't mean shit anymore, so when they start building factories to build car parts again, it has to be easier to build a 1950s style factory that builds 1950s car parts... But that solution is probably 20 years away.

Rollers on the other hand are probably built and designed post arcfall and they seem like incredibly basic creatures, that are easy to use and easy to fix.

Are they still using petrol, or are that sticking that glowing blue shit into their gas tanks?

9. Mistral

Their fuel is "petrohol" made from "gulganite", which is (probably) what Rafe & Co. are mining. Based on what I've learned in the game.

And, yeah, the older cars probably are easier to build in an economy that's been rebuilt AFTER the death of billions. As for the Challenger that showed up in the last episode- there's a very "informative" Dodge commercial that they run during the show...mine is plum, btw-in the game, that is.

10. Christopher

11. Mistral

12. teacake

Good Bye Blue Sky: Did everybody skip this because they wandered off on a Game of Thrones binge?

If you're a Jaime Murray fan perhaps you should go make up for that right now..

[​IMG]

I liked this one, got into the groove of it. Relieved the woowoo storyline ended up with a sci fi explanation. Didn't really go anywhere other than showing us Jaime Murray's power behind the white throne deal is possibly going to be very interesting.

And the steampunk alien is dead.

13. teacake

AND it just occurred to me that Stahma coming to see Kenya about her boy's sexual education was all a distraction to lure Kenya into her confidence and bed. The woman is servicing her husband yes? And the sheriff and probably a whole lot of other important and diverse people. If Stahma is in in the business of information and power it seems she could gain a lot from this new "friend".. and Kenya thinks she's touched the heart of the lonely Stahma.

The question is, is she doing it in service to her husband or for her own agenda.

14. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

I just can't get used to a "white" Jaime Murray.

I don't know the game plan, but I did believe her when she said her husband would kill both of them IF he found out, which made me wonder why she'd risk everything on Kenya's discretion.

15. Christopher

No, he isn't -- at least, it's unclear. First Irisa said "You killed him," then Doc Yewll said he was in a coma he wouldn't recover from, but in the final scene he was awake and talking and she told the other Spirit Riders to "take care of him," suggesting that he might recover. It was very inconsistently written.

I hope you're right. Otherwise she was completely out of character here. (And so was Kenya. I can't believe the proprietress of the NeedWant would be so unfamiliar with Castithan sexual and cultural mores as to be surprised by Stahma's request, let alone to laugh in her face.)

16. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

A better episode, though not what I'd call a favourite. The various character-based subplots were more interesting than the main plot with Sukar rising from the dead.

So, what was the deal at the end when Stahma said Datak would kill both her and Kenya if he found out what they were doing. Since Datak seems to be a regular customer at the brothel, is he just practicing a double standard (thinking its okay for him, not okay for his wife) or does Castithan society frown on homosexuality?

Also, on a kind of strange note, why is Sukar the only Irathien who doesn't have reddish hair?

17. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

In game, San Francisco has just been hit by a plague that turn humans and only humans into zombie-like creatures. The plague will probably reach Defiance next week.

18. Jolaris

Jolaris Commander Red Shirt

Dammit, they actually, kind of, got rid of my favourite Irathien... :scream:

And this week's Doc: "Ooga Booga!" :guffaw:

And seeing the trailer for the rest of the season... Well, damn! I didn't think they go all in already... :wtf:

19. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

It's been established that Datak is a hypocrite, so yes I do think he'd be upset at his wife for doing this even though he's also doing it.

20. Christopher

That's probably the case, but what bugs me about it is that it's not at all alien. Although things have become more egalitarian in recent times in at least some cultures, a great many human cultures over the centuries have had just such a double standard, that it was okay for men to sleep with as many paramours and prostitutes as they wanted but unacceptable for women to sleep with anyone but their husbands.

Of course, there is a practical reason for this imbalance in a society with patrilineal inheritance, since men in such a society need to know that the children their wives give birth to are actually their own legitimate heirs, entitled to inherit their property and titles and whatnot and preserve the family legacy. Men can sleep around all they want and still know that any offspring their wives and concubines pop out are their own, so long as they can be sure their wives and concubines aren't sleeping around too.

Of course, by that logic, there's no practical reason why a man in a patrilineal society should be troubled if his wife sleeps with another woman, since there's no reproductive impact there. But then, while such customs may arise for practical reasons, they tend to accrete more emotional and moralistic rationales. A man in that culture might feel that a failure to control his wife's sexual activities was a humiliation regardless of who her partner was.