Why is the Adam West's Batman TV series not on DVD?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Falcor5, Dec 16, 2008.

1. Falcor5

Falcor5 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I was flipping through the channels this morning and saw the old Adam West Batman movie on tv. Its such a fun campy movie it got me wondering why the Batman series from the 60's with Adam West is not on DVD? I would buy it in a second! It seems that most every tv series is on DVD these days and I would think with all the hype with the Dark Knight it would have been the perfect time to release the show in season sets but I guess not? Anyone know if there are any plans to release the series on DVD soon?

2. ITL

ITL Vice Admiral Admiral

3. Kryton

Kryton Admiral Admiral

4. paudemge

paudemge Captain Captain

It's got to be the rights, i'm pretty sure it would sell pretty good. Even with the newer movies, I think for a lot of people Adam West is the first person they think of when you say batman.

5. Falcor5

Falcor5 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Wow doesn't sound like we will be getting it on DVD for a VERY long time if Ever after reading that. Its a shame as I am sure Adam West would love to do episode commentaries and he wont be around forever. :(

6. donshackleford

donshackleford Cadet Newbie

It is because of the contracts that have to be written up with all of the guest stars or there estates and also george barris 20 century fox and warner brothers for royalty's and since there were so many guest stars and such it is a logistical nightmare besides everyone wants a slice of the pie as such

7. Siwilliams

Siwilliams Fleet Captain

8. God Magnus

God Magnus Commodore Commodore

A world where criminals operate above the law...
    Geebus. You'd need a small army of lawyers to begin sorting that mess out! Sad. :(

9. Siwilliams

Siwilliams Fleet Captain

I know its' crazy. I think once a show has a song in it, it should always remain in it. I know you have to update the license but you should be able to release things as the show originally was for dvd

That is the reason Malcolm In The Middle series is not all on dvd, rights issues

10. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

The biggest problem would seem to be the cameos. Fox own the episodes, WB own the characters but I'm sure someone else entirely owns Lurch, Colonel Klink and all of the other characters who made cameos.

11. Kryton

Kryton Admiral Admiral

12. Siwilliams

Siwilliams Fleet Captain

13. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

The simple solution would be to cut them out. My local station did that for commercial time. None of my tapes has them. I only know about them by what I've read.

14. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

What's sad about that case in particular is that after the second season, Malcolm stopped using then-current music in the episodes. Seasons 3 and up would be in the clear, but because the first season DVD set sold poorly, the season 2 box set was cancelled and there's no likelihood of getting the later seasons. :/

15. Siwilliams

Siwilliams Fleet Captain

I did not know about the sales to the first season

16. MeanJoePhaser

MeanJoePhaser Admiral

How about we get all the people who claim rights to the show in one room, dehydrate them into powder, then mix up their molecules and rehydrate them.

"Who knows, Robin, this strange mixing of minds just might get our series out on DVD..."

Or we could just say "If you don't release the show on DVD, MISS KITKA DIES!"

(Yeah, I rewatched the end of the 60's movie today. :cool: )

17. TedShatner10

TedShatner10 Commodore Commodore

They're only shooting themselves in the foot; shut the fuck up and release the series you fools before digital piracy gets completely perfected! Have an equal slice of the pie, isn't that too much to ask?! And who cares about paying fees for musicians, many of whom who are mostly likely dead?!

18. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

I have to say the I like your idea MeanJoe! Where the fuck is Randy Quaid when someone makes the most insane and yet ingenius Christmas wish ever?

19. Siwilliams

Siwilliams Fleet Captain

Batman - The Movie, somedays you just can't get rid of a bomb

20. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Because of the legal mess you can download illegally because there is no one to sue you because no one really owns it! ;)