Season FOUR OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Savage Dragon, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Salinga

Salinga Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Of course if you are (partly) color blind, you don't know correct colors. You only know when your eyes do see the visible spectrum fully balanced.

2. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

You may be right that there might be too much red, but if you look at the overhead lighting, the original image at least has a proper white point. When I brought the untouched TrekCore image into Photoshop, you'll notice that it's pure 100% white: the RGB values are 255 across the board and there's no hue or saturation.

However, in your altered right side, your RGB values are off. What should be pure white is tinted blue. The red is down to 245, your hue is at 180 and your saturation is at 4%. The only way to know what the correct color is supposed to be for that set and those costumes (and that's not necessarily what the filmmakers intended mind you!) is to see a 18% gray card under those same lighting conditions and set your gray point off of that.

To maintain the whites, you have to hit Ctrl+L in Photoshop and choose the gray eyedropper tool and look for what should be a neutral gray in the image, like the silver wall segment above the redhead on the left. Zoom into the image about 400%, you'll see different colored dye clouds or clumps on the film negative. Try to avoid blue or greenish/yellow areas as those will skew the color too far in either direction.

That should accomplish what you're trying to do better. But definitely start with the TrekCore jpg. The image you're using is cropped, terribly softened and covered in compression artifacting. :)

Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
  3. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

CBS-D did a fine job. In the recoloring, the floor is too blue, and the red uniform looks magenta.

4. Dick_Valentine

Dick_Valentine Commander Red Shirt

I have just been catching up with Season 4 in HD on the UK Siffy channel

I have to say, they've really done a number on the transporter beams, even above and beyond the previous remastered seasons.
    They're suddenly looking a lot fuller an in depth, more like an actual technological process and less like a transition effect from a mixing desk!

I don't know what changed for this season but, kudos! :techman:

5. gaghyogi49

gaghyogi49 Commander Red Shirt

New article at EAS: We have compiled an analysis of all the different appearances of the 4-footer flyby, first appearing in "The best of both worlds II". As the original film element could not be located, the shot needed to be recreated using various CG models of the USS Enterprise-D and different flyby footage. We hope that this will clarify when which footage or which CG model was used and why.

Enterprise Flybys in TNG and TNG-R

6. jimbotron

Nice work, thanks. The flipping back and forth between the different versions gets pretty distracting.

7. Salinga

Salinga Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I would have preferred the early CGI from the sampler instead of the too-blurry flyby.

8. extremedalek

extremedalek Ensign Red Shirt

A nice incentive prize from work has allowed me to finally dive into the TNG Blu-Rays (after sampling The Next Level when it was first released) and I've ordered S3 and S4. Nice Amazon eve upgraded me to First Class shipping at no extra cost. :bolian:

Both sets are due to arrive with me tomorrow and I'm beyond excited.

9. extremedalek

extremedalek Ensign Red Shirt

Both sets arrived today as expected. Jesus, Joseph and Mary. Are we absolutely certain that they haven't just remounted and re-shot the episodes last week??

10. Start Wreck

Start Wreck Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Amazon UK - Season 4 - £17.00 GBP (approx. 27.00 USD, excl. shipping - region-free!)

As reported by Trekcore, many Star Trek blu-ray sets are currently reduced on Amazon.co.uk. I have no idea if this is temporary or permanent, but I thought it worth sharing.

11. Admiral Bear

Admiral Bear Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've read it's just for this weekend because of the the scammy Destination Star Trek London "convention" in London. Given the level of the price reductions on the first 5 TNG Blu seasons, I'd say Amazon are using any excuse to try and get rid of its stock. Some what ironic that these TNG set weekend prices aren't much below what they should've been in the first place if CBS had wanted the sales. It also shows what Amazon are buying these sets for wholesale if they can still make a profit at £18. :klingon:

12. jimbotron

Everyone's gotta make money.