Am I the only one who loves SGU?

Discussion in 'Stargate' started by samalex, Feb 24, 2012.

1. AJ86

AJ86 Captain Captain

I think people taking the "last man standing" thing so seriously is a bit silly. It was a throwaway line to suggest that people were getting together while Eli was still alone, not that literally everyone was and he wasn't.

2. Star Wolf

Star Wolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

More of a producers weakness in execution he was a baby USMC Master Sergeant, by definition he was smart and driven to excellence. And in the romance department he was among the first shown to couple off. And like it or not by SGU canon Eli was the last. Just as in Trek where we have picked over one line of dialog or a screen shot capture for decades the same rules exist for other shows do they not

3. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Of course. That is what this this current conversation is about. And that's interesting about Greer, I am the person who never pays attention to ranks and military bizness. I just assumed he was a skilled grunt.

With that much science on planet I would hope they would have taken the gene pool into consideration. What was gender ratio?

4. AJ86

AJ86 Captain Captain

They shouldn't apply to either. It's a ridiculous position to take. It was a throwaway line, not one to be taken literally, and certainly not to be considered as 'canon'. That's absurd.

5. teacake

It's absurd that they said Eli was last man standing and we think it is canon that he was?

6. Star Wolf

I do it was the historical record of the community recorded by their kinos when the senator's daughter saw it in the download of information of their recorded history.

7. teacake

So are you saying that the kino recordings could have been full of hyperbole and piss taking and that Eli might not have been the last many standing?

8. Star Wolf

It was a small community where everybody knew everybody. Certainly they knew if any female beyond Wray was left on the market when Eli and the Marine had a child.

9. AJ86

AJ86 Captain Captain

When did they say Eli was the last man standing? And who is 'they'? When a character walks into the mess hall and says "I'm starving" do you think it's canon that they're actually starving?

10. Star Wolf

If my memory serves me it was a kino recording of the village community celebrating another child. Not a throw away line on Destiny but finally all who where able to start producing children for the futute have now done so.

11. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Isn't there a larger percentage of men on Destiny than women? If so, than Eli couldn't have been the last man. Even assuming every woman was taken, there should still be several lonely men kicking around. Kind of like on Enterprise where Malcolm Reed discovers that the ship crewed by their descendants he never hooked up with anyone.

12. AJ86

AJ86 Captain Captain

I don't think your memory is serving you well. Maybe I've missed it, but I can't find anything like that in either episode. The closest I could find was the scene where Eli hooks up with Barnes, and he talks about how babies are being born. He doesn't suggest that he's the only one who isn't getting laid though.

13. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I remember another clip where Eli was talking about how everyone seemed to be hooking up, but he hadn't yet. And he mentioned that Brody hadn't, either. But I didn't take him literally. If everyone else had already hooked up, he wouldn't have gotten together with Barnes.

14. DrunkUncle

DrunkUncle Ensign Red Shirt

Exactly, that's just something you say when it seems like everybody else hooking up.
    When I was unemployed for a long time last year it was like everybody else did find a place to work at, but obviously I wasn't the only one on Earth without a job. But it felt like that.

A throwaway line like AJ86 suggested.

15. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I like how they revealed that Eli had a grandson, then took us back to the present and established that he wasn't hooking up with anyone and was facing the prospect of never being able to do so. Part of me felt for the guy and part of me was wondering who the lucky lady would be.

[​IMG]

It was nicely written that way, but you'd think that in the end, he'd have to hook up with several people to get the population going.

I've been reading other boards and it looks like a lot of people didn't like the show at first but are warming up to it now when they rewatch it.

16. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

I'm hoping that will be my experience. I didn't like S1 at all in first run, S2 first half, I found myself starting to appreciate some episodes, and by S2 second half, I was enjoying it, and thought it had been a good a show, and was a shame wasn't going to continue. I'm hoping when I rewatch, I'll be able to enjoy it from the beginning.

17. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

A lot of people feel that way too.

It took the writers that long to find their footing.

Some have said that the first season plays much better if you can watch the episodes back to back.

18. teacake

I know I'll like my rewatch better. I had just come off of Atlantis which I adored and I never warmed to to any of the characters other than Park. But I do enjoy the universe and once I've finished SG:1 I think I'll find a lot of it extra interesting.

Hey Sindatur I am now watching Charlie Jade while I wait to get Stargate Season 10. I've watched the first four eps, I was completely hooked by ep 3!

19. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Excellent, glad you're enjoying it (And Charlie is the quite the Hottie) I think you'll enjoy Charlie Jade even more after a few more episodes, when it's a little easier to follow what's going on, though, the confusion of the first 5 or 6 episodes is part of the fun.

I had planned to do SGU in the near future (just got my recordings back from Mom yesterday), but, I'm on a Doctor Who binge, went through all of Troughton, about done with Pertwee, and hungry to continue on with Tom Baker, so SGU will wait a bit longer.

20. teacake

I'm scared of my future Original Who binge. I need to put aside a year, right?

So far I don't find Charlie Jade hard to follow. I am going to assume that Betaverse is
    our verse since it has Mandela in it and Capetown looks like a shit hole rather than a tech paradise. Not that this is important,they could all be fictional or rather are fictional LOL

Not finding Mr. Jade very hot, but that doesn't stop the show from being excellent. MR CREEPY (you know who I mean) really jumps it out into wtf land in a rather excellent way.