After BSG, B5, Firefly & Ds9... what's left?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Danoz, Oct 10, 2008.

1. Warp Coil

Warp Coil Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If I had to pick one show to follow all of the others you've seen, I would say "Lost." It's just.... so good.

2. Ben Sisko3

Ben Sisko3 Commodore Commodore

Excellent call. I completely forgot to mention it because, as is commonly assumed, I'm a moron. I miss Jericho...

My full and revised list...
    Carnivale
    MillenniuM
    Farscape
    The Prisoner
    Supernatural
    Jericho
    Deadwood
    Oz
    Justice League/Justice League Unlimited
    Journeyman
    Blackadder
    Spaced
    Titus
    NewsRadio
    Six Feet Under
    Lost

3. Leroy

Leroy Commodore Commodore

Macross is more accessible than ever thanks to the dub ADV did a few years ago. Also anyone remember that Invisible Man show Sci-Fi had a few years ago? I thought it was the only show about a guy that turned invisible that didn't suck.

4. LutherSloan

LutherSloan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I have to say that I enjoyed Batman Beyond when it was still on.

Glad to see I wasn't alone in enjoying Jericho. Sadly, it looks like the show is about dead and buried, despite rumors that it might be sold to a cable network, or that CBS might go the 'Serenity' route and make a feature film as a last hurrah.

5. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

The "horizon" being within a year or so, I'm interested in

Dollhouse
    Virtuality
    Caprica
    Revolution
    (hopefully still on the radar)
    Warehouse 13
    Red Mars
    V
    remake
    The Prisoner remake (tho that will just be a miniseries - there's no potential there for an ongoing series at least I hope not :p)

Many of those are space-based which is something we've been sorely missing.
    Or even more grownup: BSG. Farscape was often really juvenile and silly. One thing I'd never call it is "mature" (which is both a good and bad thing).
    Great idea, hit or miss execution. I'd love to see someone (other than stuffy ole CBS!) tackle that concept in the future.

Since Oz has been mentioned, sure. It's very watchable, even if it's so over the top that sometimes it veers into comedy.

Oh heck, I'll plug Mad Men. It's an Emmy winner for a reason - very high quality drama - and S1 is also very entertaining. S2...well, if you thought Lost was maybe a bit too speedy in its pacing, you'll love Mad Men. :D

Last edited: Oct 11, 2008
  6. Saxman1

Saxman1 Commodore Commodore

Yeah - I really want that on DVD - one of the best series ever, regardless of genre. Brett is pure genius in the title role! :bolian:

7. Booji

Booji Commodore Premium Member

Cowboy Bebop

8. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

Check out Jeremiah by J.Michael, the creator of Babylon 5. Everybody who's gone through puberty catches a disease and dies, leaving just the children alive to fend for themselves. The show is set 15 yrs after the Big Death. Good stuff.

Journeyman is great, as mentioned. And actually rose above its premise. The 4400 was a fun ride while it lasted.

Torchwood and Primeval on BBC America are fun too.

9. TheMasterOfOrion

TheMasterOfOrion Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Quoting some of the shows I liked, but unfortunately I haven't seen all episodes of these

Here's the ones I agree with ranked by imdb rating

IMDB rating 9.5

THE CHAMP !! according to imdb
    [​IMG]
    WATCH IT

:techman:

:bolian:

I thought I would hate this as another buffy/angel but the horror, fx elements are cool, its got great actors, great story telling
    imdb = 9.1

New Who = 8.8

;)

you must see this

I agree 100% S1 = some of the best scifi tv, S2 = very meh
    but considering the mess from the WGA strike and it still gets points for having our beloved Trek actors

Heroes imdb = 8.4

imdb = 8.2

IMDB rating 8.2

Great potential, canceled too soon
    :scream:

4400 looked interesting when it aired but I haven't seen enough episodes to comment

This one is also worth checking out

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0816398/

"Planetes" Japan tv show 2003-2004

10. darthraidr

darthraidr Commodore Commodore

Deadwood - Best show i've ever seen. dont read any spoilers or history and at least watch the first 5 episodes to see if you'll like it.

Friday Night Lights - another amazing show. the second season is rough and got hammered by the writers strike, but the acting and the writing are really strong. Anyways, the Saracen shower scene redeems the entire second season. Coach Eric Taylor and his wife are probably the best couple i've seen on television. very real.

Batman:TAS, Superman, Batman Beyond, Justice League, Justice League:Unlimited - amazing stories, awesome action. it's a universe that rarely recieves praise for having such strong stories and continuity that spans over 10 years. it's an amazing run.

Star Wars: The Clone Wars - the cartoons, not the CG stuff. want to see jedi the way they should be... sure it might be over the top at times, but man is it awesome. in my opinion it is the only good thing to come out of the prequel trilogy. hell, at times it tops Empire and generally tops the original trilogy.

The 4400 - production values leave a lot to be desired at times, but the story is solid. it's also got some really good twists and turns along the way. i prefer it to heroes (heroes has people 'forget' how to use their powers or that they have powers way too often).

The Lost Room - a sci-fi mini series. a good sci-fi mini series. a really good sci-fi mini series. it's so good it shouldn't have been on the sci-fi channel (kinda like nBSG).

The Shield - cops trying to clean the streets of LA. this is a great show. great acting, great story... it just feels authentic. i actually couldnt sit through the first episode of the wire after having seen this show. the wire seemed too sterile and staged. (one day i'll revisit the wire)

Journeyman - sure it's like quantum leap, but it's better. it plays the premise more realistically, and it has some really cool twists.

11. Captain Intrepid

Captain Intrepid Vice Admiral Admiral

Red Dwarf. Pure gold.

12. Seven of Five

Seven of Five Stupid Sexy Flanders! Premium Member

Danoz, you're watching everything that I've been watching the past few years! Here's some series that I love, I'm not sure whether you feel like just sticking with sci-fi or whether to branch out eventually, which is what I did after total sci-fi overdose (was watching far too much Heroes, BSG, ENT, VOY, DS9 etc...)

Sci-fi/Fantasy

Buffy/Angel: If you're enjoying Firefly then these two shows are also great, written with similar sassy dialogue and full of character/plot arcs. Angel is technically the better show but watch Buffy too to experience total joy.

Futurama: Not a drama but excellent quality, sort of picked up where The Simpsons left off when it's own quality dropped somewhat. Really funny and more internally consistant than The Simpsons. It's also in the middle of a direct-to-DVD revival which is good for a little more longevity.

Red Dwarf: Another comedy, British this time. Really takes the piss and doesn't take things seriously - another solid show. Full of British humour (or since I'm from England, normal humour. :p)

Heroes: I'm watching season 3 now which seems to be making up for season 2's failings somewhat, but season 1 was a brilliant rollercoaster ride. X-Men for TV, sort of.

Other Star Trek: Have you only watched DS9? I've been a Trek fan for years and there's lots of good to be found in the other series (perhaps mostly TOS and TNG). If it's DS9's arcyness that you liked, maybe ENT's third and possibly fourth seasons will grab your interest.

'Normal' drama

24: I'll throw this out first - arc-based highly-intense action. Mostly. The writing in general varied in quality somewhat over the years. Season 1 was the best, 2-3 were good, 4 dropped the ball somewhat, 5 redeemed itself somewhat, 6 crapped all over all the hard work done in 5. At it's best - densely plotted with good character moments and a lot of tension.

The Wire: Everyone should watch The Wire, easily the highest quality programme; the most pleasurable viewing experience I've had in such a long time. It has so many characters from so many different perspectives of Baltimore's drug trade that it's almost overwhelming to watch at first. It treats the subject with such honesty, and makes the characters so believeable and interesting that I was completely hooked after a few episodes.

Oz: Gripping prison drama, slightly OTT as the series went on but great characters make it worthwile.

Six Feet Under: Hilarious and heart-breaking at various points throughout the series, or even just thoughout an episode. The first two seasons were excellent, the rest was also pretty good - see Michael C. Hall in the role that made him. Also, best series-ending episode ever IMO.

Dexter: Fantastic show, excellent writing. Was getting into this when I was getting into The Wire so had lots of fun those months. :lol: See Michael C. Hall in the role that made him fifty times what he was in Six Feet Under. A serial-killer that we sympathise with is an excellent concept in itself, but the show is more than that. Season 2 outdid season 1 somehow, can't wait for season 3.

The Sopranos/The Shield: Very new to me so can't comment on them properly, but very, very good so far.

I'll shut up now, I watch far too much TV. :D

And there's still stuff I haven't seen yet that people mention in this thread that make me feel better about all of the reality prime time shite that we get on mainstream TV.

13. TheMasterOfOrion

TheMasterOfOrion Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It looks like we all neglected the tv series Rome it has an imdb rating of 9.3

[​IMG]
    definitely worth checkin' out

Last edited: Oct 19, 2008